NJSP going digital in July

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbineone

Premium Subscriber
I was talking to some techs word is in July talkgroups will start going to digital. Most talkgroups will be in the clear but a few will be encrypted (unknown what ones).

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I hope they plan on adding a few towers because I can't see how its going to work the way things are now.

carbineone

Premium Subscriber
Apparently just a few of the talkgroups will be encrypted and the rest will be clear digital

ctrabs74

carbineone said:
I was talking to some techs word is in July talkgroups will start going to digital. Most talkgroups will be in the clear but a few will be encrypted (unknown what ones).

I'd suspect that the detectives, executive protection (Gov Corzine's security detail) and other intelligence/surveillance or sensitive TGs would be encrypted, which is the way it should be (unlike certain towns/counties in the state that choose either ProVoice or 24/7 encryption; and you know who you are). I'd suspect that most of the Troop TGs would be clear.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi all,

"I hope they plan on adding a few towers because I can't see how its going to work the way things are now."

At least Troop C works just fine, if it works now it'll work when digital.

Naturally they'll take full advantage of the FCC mandate that all transmissions of a sensitive nature must be encrypted and consider all the juicy stuff sensitive. (I'm surprised they haven't conformed already.) That leaves the toll roads with the Yellow Legs handing out tickets, B-O-R-I-N-G. Well, there goes another scan bank in the bit bucket.

elk2370bruce

CTRABS, That discrimination of likely TG's sounds logical. Knowing our beloved State government, you never know. With 2006 DHS grant money arriving soon in those re-usable 55 gallon drums of Grant-faced treasury bills, you never know what evil beats in the hearts of the grant writers, supervising techno-weenies, and the Motorola salesmen with the solid gold BMW's and platinum hub caps giggling all the way to their enhanced 401K accounts overseas. I do hope your well-thought out assessment is correct.
As to the periodic coverage problems that John B has expressed above. I'd also like to see a more complete radio tower coverage matrix in place. There are the noticable gaps that we've all spoken about elsewhere.

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
nosoup4u said:
I hope they plan on adding a few towers because I can't see how its going to work the way things are now.

Hi John,

Thank goodness the NJSP added a tower in Camden to fill the gap in SW NJ area.

On another note, if rumor holds true and the NJSP is going digital in July, we may have more fun figuring out the new talkgroups (again) since digital groups normally are set in a different range than analog ones. Maybe digital TGs will be in the 40000's since there was some testing going on there???

thanks,

Joseph11

They're going digital and rebanding. They're two seperate events, though.

W2SJW

Database Admin
I asked my inside source about this - from what he heard, it was going to be a limited roll-out of certain special TGID's, but I peaked his interest.

He's going to contact the guys that are directly in charge of implementing the upgrade next week after the holiday.

More to come...

kb2vxa

Banned
Hi again Bruce and all,

"With 2006 DHS grant money arriving soon in those re-usable 55 gallon drums of Grant-faced treasury bills... (Blah blah blah tirade continues.)"

Most of it is going into the statewide 500MHz interop TAC system under construction. Some is going to 400MHz countywide TAC and interop with NYC on thier 800MHz system. Some of course will be allocated to the NJSP. That's what evil LURKS in the hearts of political pork barrellers, KB2VXA knows! (I keep my finger on the pulse of the fiscal quarterly report, public information if you do some data mining in Trenton. Muahahahaaaaa.)

Keep your eyes on Scott, he da man! I should know, I'm the disservice mismanager of Frankenstein Laboratories, a division of Altec Communications.

RocketNJ

I seriously doubt most of the NJSP system users will be going digital anytime soon. I can however see some talkgroups where they would want to keep communications from being heard by us scanner owners.

The system has over 14,000 users (not all NJSP users) so the logistical nightmare of being able to account for, exchange radio (if not Astro capable), and program all users in most talkgroups would be very difficult.

Makes you stop and think... How many legit users have 2 Comm programmed in for each troop?

W2SJW

Database Admin
RocketNJ said:
I seriously doubt most of the NJSP system users will be going digital anytime soon. I can however see some talkgroups where they would want to keep communications from being heard by us scanner owners.

The system has over 14,000 users (not all NJSP users) so the logistical nightmare of being able to account for, exchange radio (if not Astro capable), and program all users in most talkgroups would be very difficult.

Makes you stop and think... How many legit users have 2 Comm programmed in for each troop?

George has it right on the nail's head. What I had heard the first time from my inside source was the special-use TGID's mentioned in the beginning of this post are the first to go, and go straight encrypted to boot...

stvnd53

Banned
Well,here it is 8/1/06.and I still get the NJSP.Maybe my Maxtrac became "Digital" last night,or people are making up stories.

carbineone

Premium Subscriber
Well I know the upgrades were put in for the system but this is the government and sometimes things take longer than private industry. It will be coming they didn't upgrade to $4000.00 digital mobiles for nothing.

RocketNJ

I do not have any direct information but this is my take on the situation from facts that I do know.

The system (troops A, B, and C) were upgraded to do two things. First, allow them to be connected in an Omnilink configuration. This eliminates the hokey patches that were set up to patch talkgroups. Also allows properly programmed radios to seamlessly roam across the state without switching channels (again some talkgroups will be allowed roaming).

Second, the system now supports mixed mode operation, thus allowing digital communications. Some talkgroups will probably go digital quickly while others will stay analog for quite a while. The reason is again limited to the subscribers already out in the field. There are still a LOT of analog radios out there.

Last, I do not see the whole system going encrypted. The cost of the encryption upgrades. the labor & coordination to install & program the encryption, and the maintenance of keeping everything properly keyloaded would most likely deter this.

Again, this is my view of what I would expect to see in the future on the system.

elk2370bruce

You have to forgive Warren when he stops taking his meds because he just gets cantankerous. (And the tirade gladly continues and will soon be picked up by Uncle Warren).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.