NJSP going to Astro Smartzone late 2005?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Rob,

Sorry about messing up the acronym there. I know it's a monumental task, finance wise to make these upgrades. When I talk to my two friends that work for Moto (who shall remain anonymous), They tell me (as a reference), that Trenton will have to upgrade 'in the future'.

I also asked about 9600 systems - the extreme cost of those systems, and the fact that the ASTRO 3600 SmartNet or SmartZone solutions are just as good for meeting APCO compliance, they said you might not see one around here for a long time.

I still can't get any answers about Bergen County. I was trying to confirm previous rumors of a VoIP-style Moto system that is the 'second-generation' of Moto's ASTRO.

ka2mek

Hi Scott
Thank You so much for that run down of info I DO appreciate it.I really do want to keep up on this because in my home town here (Middletown Township,NJ)They are using VSELP on a {{{AS NEEDED}}} type basis meaning they are not 100% in that mode all the time,as from what I read and hear, the police officers in Middletown are not thrilled with the audio from it when they switch in but tolerate it,I guess thats why they are not 100% in that mode 24/7.Also I CAN USE the DPL feature to eliminate hearing the VSELP hash on the air when they switch over as it skips past them when they switch in.On that same note ( FYI ) the neighboring town of Atlantic Highlands IS 100%VSELP except for very rare occasions so those scannerhounds "AINT SO LUCKY".Again Scott thank you sir for the run down.As for your friends at MOTOROLA Scott,I hope they can continue to give you the lowdown on whats happening,thats a great source you have there :wink:
73!
Robert-KA2MEK

BTW-Middletown Township Police is on 156.210 DPL-464 for main dispatch
Atlantic Highlands Police is on 154.815 pl-151.4 for main dispatch
"We don't need a FULL run down here of ALL the freqs in these towns folks as I see happen on other sites!Lindsey has a fantastic DATA BASE of FREQUENCY's here! So please lets leave this the way it stands I just posted these MAIN freqs to augment and compliment my post here in regards to these two towns using VSELP on thier main dispatch freqs".Thank You-KA2MEK

PJH

Premium Subscriber
No agency HAS to change their VSLEP system to IMBE or to any other form of transmission. The FCC license only needs to have the proper transmitter emission classes which they would already have if they have been digital for some time. APCO25 is NOT mandatory, unless they signed on with other agencies to be common with them for a format.

However, it may be in their best interest to upgrade to IMBE as VSELP is no longer offered in the newer radio's. Once they equipment life cycle is finished, then they will be forced to upgrade.

VSLEP is not a bad format of digital at all, and was one of the finalist for the APCO digital standard. I think part of what killed it was that it was developed by Motorola and everyone involved were really looking for an outside vendor all together and not something from a large radio company.

BTW: VSLEP is the codec of choice for Motorola's iDEN systems, and Nextel (iDEN).

N

N_Jay

So many issues mixed, no wonder some here are confused.

SmartZone - Motorola's brand mane of a multisite truning system.
Does not imply or specify digital or analog.
If digital does not imply or specify Astro (VSELP) or Astro25 (P25) modulation.
If Astro25, does not imply or specify Smartnet type II (3600 BPS) or P25 (9600 BPS) control channel.

VSELP - Vocoder used by Motorola in several systems including the original version of Astro.

IMBE - Vocoder used in several systems including P25CAI

P25 CAI - An air interface consisting of IMBE vocoder and C4FM and/or CQPSK which meets the spcifications outlined in the TIA-102 series of specifications.

Also as said before; existing systems are not under any FCC mandate to change formats.

For a trunking system to be fully P25 compliant it does require a C4FM/CQPSK 9600 BPS control channel meeting the apropriate TIA-102 specifications. So 3600 BPS control channel systems are not fully compliant with P25.

And one last thing; The discussion of VoIP is irrelevent without understanding where in the system the VoIP atributes are being applied.

ka2mek

THANK YOU N_JAY!
Really Thanks man for the run down!How much clearer could it be!Now we just wait to find out what the NJSP will in reality eventually do with thier system in the future.
-Rob

W2SJW

Database Admin
I had assumed the new technology rumored for Bergen would be a system designed to compete with Ma/Com's OpenSky. I don't know if they're trying to do the same thing as OpenSky, and have a system that sends the control data subaudibly (and doesn't use a control channel).

Everything is pure speculation at this point. BTW, My friend told me that they've begun loading TGID data in to the first sets of radios in Burlington Co. If he come through as planed, I'll be posting the entire TGID list in one massive post...

N

N_Jay

W2SJW said:
I had assumed the new technology rumored for Bergen would be a system designed to compete with Ma/Com's OpenSky. I don't know if they're trying to do the same thing as OpenSky, and have a system that sends the control data subaudibly (and doesn't use a control channel).

Everything is pure speculation at this point. BTW, My friend told me that they've begun loading TGID data in to the first sets of radios in Burlington Co. If he come through as planed, I'll be posting the entire TGID list in one massive post...

Digital systems like open sky or P25 do not send data "subaudablly", it is just encoded into the data stream.

The fact that Open-Sky does not dedicate a slot to control is a design choice, not necesarely an advantage or disadvantage.

W2SJW

Database Admin
I get a kick out of how half of us mis-stated the acronym (even me!).

Most people I know usually SAY an acronym (if it can be pronounced).

On that note: 'vee-slep' kind of rolls of the tongue easier than 'vee-selp'. And in the process, we accidentally transpose the 2 letters...

N

N_Jay

W2SJW said:
I get a kick out of how half of us mis-stated the acronym (even me!).

Most people I know usually SAY an acronym (if it can be pronounced).

On that note: 'vee-slep' kind of rolls of the tongue easier than 'vee-selp'. And in the process, we accidentally transpose the 2 letters...
Vee-Selp sounds fine to me, but I have been saying WAY too long!

ka2mek

whats that ya say???eh?
yaz yaz the ACORN limbs {{{acronym}}}are fine,We're spraying them with VEE-SELP :lol:
-Rob

W2SJW

Database Admin
LOL!!

I put up 2 more TG's for Morris County this weekend. MCSD unit talking to his sarge about a toilet that wouldn't stop running in one of the county parks. First they went to Ch. 3, then they went to Ch. 4...

Weehee - the $h!t Patrol!!!

W2SJW

Database Admin
OK, I was corrected by another user that the stuff we've been hearing is actually the Park Police, and not the Sheriff.

God knows why they started the roll-out with them, and not the MCSD..

Sybex7254

Sheriff's Depart uses 2 digit numbers: 54. 39, etc.
Park Police uses 4 digit numbers begining with 91xx: 9152, 9129, etc. (They used to be 91F, 91D, etc but now use the 4 digit numbering)

Status
Not open for further replies.