Njsp New Sys Full Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

CW1NY3478

hi,

i was told by someone over the weekend, that the njsp plans on going full encryption on the 2com-4com etc as part of the upgrade.can anyone confirm this.i want to get a table top scanner for the njsp but if they go ahead with the plan it will not be worth it

help!!!!!!!!!!! can anyone please confirm

thanks

FuelForFire

I believe they are in the process of upgrading to IMBE digital but I haven't heard anything about full time encryption. Could whoever you heard this from be confusing the two?

-Mike

mondaro

Feed Provider
I wouldn't loose any sleep on this. Cost to much money and the NJSP system is in bad shape as it is now anyway and they have no money.

jaymatt1978

Just keep in mind that there are other users on the trunked system too. Like DOT, the DMV(when they are working), Agriculture Dept., Northstar and Southstar medivac helicopters, and about a hundred other different angencies. ALL of them CAN'T BE encrypted. Even the radios that can be encrypted don't always use the encryption! Secondly like Tony said t he state is running out of money as it is, encrypting everything would never fly from a fiscal point of view!

Archie

See if you can get hold of the original bid documents which are likely a matter of public record and would contain all specifications, including possible encryption.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi all,

So far no encryption but I wouldn't doubt it's coming to the TAC talk groups.

"Cost to much money and the NJSP system is in bad shape as it is now anyway and they have no money."

Don't kid yourself Mondaro, listen to the radio tech chatter. They're doing massive upgrades for interop with military and Satcom, more than I can tell you about here. NJ got a massive grant over three years for upgrading the NJSP and expanding the statewide interop system.

mondaro

Feed Provider
Not kidding myself at all I think what happen to the Troop B system during 9 1 1 speaks volumes for the knuckle heads who think they know how to engineer a trunked radio system.

W2SJW

Database Admin
I talked to my inside source today: NOT GOING TO HAPPEN (at least to the level that is being discussed here).

If he can get detailed info in the next few days about which TGID's are going digital, and then which ones are going digital+enc, he said he would pass them along...

Now is not the time to break out the Mylanta or Prilosec. I'll try and give you guys a heads-up if-and-when it is...

mondaro

Feed Provider
Scott...

That's the same inside word where getting here. There having a hard time just getting the basic stuff to work at the NJSP . Also if you talk to most any department who has gone P25 there are nothing but problems and also the funding is not there any time soon to properly upgrade the system.

Tony

wa2zdy

Count your blessings up there. Here in Florida the statewide stuff is all encrypted and the counties are going that way one at a time. Plenty of $$$ here and they're spending it.

RocketNJ

mondaro said:
Scott...

Also if you talk to most any department who has gone P25 there are nothing but problems and also the funding is not there any time soon to properly upgrade the system.

Tony

There are a lot of systems that are working fine in Astro & mixed mode.

ctrabs74

mondaro said:
That's the same inside word where getting here. There having a hard time just getting the basic stuff to work at the NJSP . Also if you talk to most any department who has gone P25 there are nothing but problems and also the funding is not there any time soon to properly upgrade the system.

Tony, let me play devil's advocate (of sorts). I personally am not aware of any trunked system - ditital, analog, mixed mode, whatever - that hasn't had bugs over the first few years of operation.

That said, I do agree the digital systems in some areas where I live seem to have coverage problems, such as Philadelphia's two separate systems for PD and FD/Municipal services, particularly in parts West Philadelphia. Other systems seem to work fine, such as Delaware's digital TRS (except for that one freq that seems to hang all the time) and Montgomery County's mixed-mode TRS.

Getting back to the Jersey side of the Delaware, I've monitored Burlington County a couple of times, but that's one very confusing system to program and monitor. Haven't had the chance to monitor Atlantic City's mixed mode system yet, so I'll reserve judgement on it at this time.

Like it or not, and I can respect your views on it since you're getting first hand knowledge of how well a system works (or doesn't) from your employment, digital seems to be the way things are going, and part of it is due to federal mandates (though I'm sure with more experience scanning someone could clarify that for me).

Hopefully that doesn't mean every other township or county that goes digital pulls a Kearny, Edison, or Jackson Twp (Ocean Co) and take advantage of digital upgrades to not only block public access to non-sensitive matters to scanners like us, but also to neighboring public safety agencies and to the press...

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Chris ZDY and all,

"Plenty of $$$ here and they're spending it."

Yeah, you traded McGreevey for Bush. No wonder you have money there, you weren't raped and pillaged, only burned. Now we have Corzine but what do YOU take for a headache?

jaymatt1978

Personall-y think Atlantic City's system is ok! I can only hear it when I'm mobile and not at the Borgota, but it comes in fine otherwise. If the NJSP were smart they would us mixed mode, it would save them (and us) a lot of headaches in the long run!

Status
Not open for further replies.