NJSP Rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
Just heard a NJSP dispatcher on the state house channel C3-12, TG 36848, tell the trooper to bring back his portable for rebanding. Is Troop C rebanding there radios?

W2SJW

Database Admin
My friend that works for /\/\ told me that the toll-road units are already complete...

SCPD

QRT
My friend that works for /\/\ told me that the toll-road units are already complete...

How can they reband if the transmitters are still on the unbanded frequencies? Do they have seperate banks in their radios programmed with the old and new?

xpawel15x

How can they reband if the transmitters are still on the unbanded frequencies? Do they have seperate banks in their radios programmed with the old and new?

I would imagine they have different radios or preprogrammed with the rebanded freqs but still using the old freqs so once everyone is set up all units can switch over simultaneously.

Anyone using the Pro-96 for the NJSP here? As far as I understand, we can program the rebanded system using the Win96 software by setting up a custom table, can anyone confirm it will work?

W2SJW

Database Admin
I'm really not sure how a trunking radio works when it comes to rebanding. Maybe the CC will tell the radio via the data stream to use the new table, or, like some have said, it's a whole-new 16-channel bank that references the new personalities programmed.

I'm gonna call him today!

Highpockets

I guess they could turn off the frequencies at the towers that need rebanding, run the system without them, reprogram the radios with the new freq's, (still running on old, new not active yet). Change freq's in channels that are off at tower, then turn them back on, (new already in radios) now all updated. Sounds simple...

W2SJW

Database Admin
I'm a little confused here - I thought NJSP's frequencies were in the 855-860 range that wasn't being rebanded except in the Atlanta area.

When the NJSP added the toll roads years ago to the TRS, they added a bunch of freq's between 866-868 to augment the extra load on the system.

If you monitor carefully, you will see that the toll road troopers almost always come up on the higher frequencies first for their voice channels...

Highpockets

sounds like that would work here in troop A, There is only one frequency out of band (860.9375), If that is all there is to it.

They can opt out, and keep using that freq, I believe. They may not change any in Troop A. I guess we'll all have to wait and see. I guess I have to start running unitrunker once in a while.

jim202

Normally when a system is rebanded, all the radios need to be touched by a radio tech to have the
new control channels set up. Generally this is done in a whole new zone in the radio. Reason
being that you can't change all the radios at the same moment in time to get them all done. As
a result, you end up changing all the user radios first, have them able to go to the new channels.
Then after the entire fleet has the ability to change to the new channels, you have a massive
radio tech swarm that goes to all the sites and changes the actual radio sites in the middle of
the night. Reason being is the traffic is lowest at that point in time.

Problems that come up in making the switchover is that there is a period of time when you will
have some sites on the old channels and some on the new channels. as a result of this, the
dispatchers and the mobile fleet will experience some point in time where it's either mass
confusion, lack of good radio communications, lack of any communications, or a combination
of all the above.

arge trunking system changes are not easy. There is a point in time that each radio site will
be off the air for a brief period of time while the channels are changed in each of the radios.
Once that is done, then all the end user radios need to be switched to the new rebanded
control channels. So what most agencies do is plan on a certain date and time the system
will be changed at the stroke of 2 AM or what ever time they pick. That way the users know
when to change to the new zones in their radios.

After the rebanding, generally it takes another trip back through the radio shop to remove all
the old programed channels. There are some systems where they can do over the air
programming to the radios. But again, this takes time. You still have the sheer numbers of
radios to deal with.

Jim

SCPD

QRT
When the NJSP added the toll roads years ago to the TRS, they added a bunch of freq's between 866-868 to augment the extra load on the system.

If you monitor carefully, you will see that the toll road troopers almost always come up on the higher frequencies first for their voice channels...

I remember when they only came up on two channels 867.2375 and 866.5625. But you could never hear them out west and then all of the sudden you could. I believe now they use whatever channel is available.

SCPD

QRT
Normally when a system is rebanded, all the radios need to be touched by a radio tech to have the
new control channels set up. Generally this is done in a whole new zone in the radio. Reason
being that you can't change all the radios at the same moment in time to get them all done. As
a result, you end up changing all the user radios first, have them able to go to the new channels.
Then after the entire fleet has the ability to change to the new channels, you have a massive
radio tech swarm that goes to all the sites and changes the actual radio sites in the middle of
the night. Reason being is the traffic is lowest at that point in time.

Problems that come up in making the switchover is that there is a period of time when you will
have some sites on the old channels and some on the new channels. as a result of this, the
dispatchers and the mobile fleet will experience some point in time where it's either mass
confusion, lack of good radio communications, lack of any communications, or a combination
of all the above.

arge trunking system changes are not easy. There is a point in time that each radio site will
be off the air for a brief period of time while the channels are changed in each of the radios.
Once that is done, then all the end user radios need to be switched to the new rebanded
control channels. So what most agencies do is plan on a certain date and time the system
will be changed at the stroke of 2 AM or what ever time they pick. That way the users know
when to change to the new zones in their radios.

After the rebanding, generally it takes another trip back through the radio shop to remove all
the old programed channels. There are some systems where they can do over the air
programming to the radios. But again, this takes time. You still have the sheer numbers of
radios to deal with.

Jim

That makes sense. We'll if they go digital I will have my 396t soon.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Oh, brother. Will the 396T support the new frequencies with the 2.0.0V firmware? Figures, just when I start really listening to NJSP. }:>(

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Oh, brother. Will the 396T support the new frequencies with the 2.0.0V firmware? Figures, just when I start really listening to NJSP. }:>(

There only 15MHz down.

865=850
866=851
867=852
868=853

I don't think they touch anything in the 860MHz range.

countryboy879

will the rebanding still be in the 800mhz and will i still be able to pick them up i running a rs 2096?

Status
Not open for further replies.