NJSP Sounding a little off today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvrat1

Premium Subscriber
Anyone monitoring NJSP troop C talk groups today. Modulation on some units a bit scratchy.......tried on both radios. Almost sounds a bit scrambled.

elias1988

Feed Provider
I've noticed the same thing last night,seems odd that I didn't hear dispatch say anything to the units about it.

Edit:Maybe they are working on the issue,the audio sounds improved now.

Last edited:

wnjl

Noticing the same effect on Troop C today. It almost sounds like digital transmission dropouts, to the point that I thought they might be simulcasting from the NJICS system...but I don't think that's the case

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
Did hear the scramble sound yesterday but troop A and C are coming in crystal clear here this afternoon. Much better than they have in quite a while. Something has change , for the better so far.

racescan_fan

I switched over to the troop B system and it sounded fine there. I also don't remember hearing the dispatchers and troopers having a hard time making out the transmissions.

rvrat1

Premium Subscriber
yea.....when it was happening......there was no talk about either the dispatchers or trooper complaining about reception....

MrAntiDigital

Noticing the same effect on Troop C today. It almost sounds like digital transmission dropouts, to the point that I thought they might be simulcasting from the NJICS system...but I don't think that's the case

"DIGITAL TRANSMISSION DROPOUTS". - a new term I just learned. Thank you. Just call me Mr Anti Digital.

Today I was in a city that uses digital. I went there as a buff to chase the fire calls. I've been doing it for years, no, decades. Right after they announced the companies to respond, the digital dropout kicked in. I was not able to hear the address of the incident.

Just turned out to be a minor food on the stove. But we never had that problem when they were on the high band with repeaters. In fact, I don't remember ever writing about ANY radio problems on here before that.

Monoxide16

i think Digital is a bad way to go sorry to go off topic here but every time i listen to the Burlington Co system i always hear Central Dispatch saying at least 5 or 6 times a day saying please repeat your message your portable is unreadable!! so horrible to listen too wish they would just go back to the old analog channels so much better

magic_lantern

I agree Monoxide, My feeling on digital is that it is assumed that everything is perfect. From the person talking into the microphone all through the various system peripherals and to the ears of the person listening. someone who does not speak extremely clear to someone with a hearing impairment. by the time the audio is processed back into analog to the radio speaker many times it sounds horrible. kind of like that game kids play when one person says something and it goes around the room and its completely different by the time it gets back to who started it.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I heard the REMU crew on the air last evening so I suppose this is what they were working on.

As far Burlco goes, its multiple issues. Most prevelant is a complete lack of traing for users of the system. Dispatchers with low audio, mobile users talking into a mic laying on their lap, you name it, its all bad on the Burlco system. EMS unit actually sound the best. I bet the radio folks have not even read the service updates for setting the proper audio settings in the Astro series radios which are most prevelant on this system.

Monoxide16

Thank u for every ones info and saying on the digital last night like around 11 was listening to Burlington Co heard the dispatcher saying i couldn't copy please repeat they were coming in all broken up why go digital? Analog sounds so much better that's why i really only listen to now is the NJSP and Montgomery Co hear them loud and clear most of the time

Monoxide16

Just don't get why they continue to use the system they never use the war Channels that would be so awesome if they went back to the old Channels

MrAntiDigital

With digital some will put the blame on the users for not knowing how to use it properly. They weren't trained. They are not speaking correctly etc. With anolog these issues did not seem to be the case.
1) Turn radio on
2) push button to talk
3) speak into microphone
That was the only training required. These digital systems are costing a fortune. Ive been told weather has an pact on these systems. Is it worth it ? What is the big advantage to convert to a digital radio system

Monoxide16

i hear ya and def hear ya that their costing a fortune!! i don't think it's worth it as soon as they get on that portable they come in all broken up! i really hate the digital systems

Status
Not open for further replies.