NJSP Unit Designations

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamnj1

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

While listning to the NJSP I have noticed that when a trooper calls one of the comm centers he/she uses a 4 or 5 digit unit number. I am trying to find out where info exists as to where the numbers are assigned so I can identify where the trooper is assigned.

If I recall a unit 110 use to be assigned to the GSP around the Monmouth County area and 700 units use to be the TPK????

Does anyone know what the new system is???

Thanks,

Todd Mc Govern

adamr368

Premium Subscriber
The troopers identify themselves by their badge number, which changed a couple of years ago when they stopped using their license plate numbers. You will hear units mainly in the 5000 - 7000 range, the lower numbers obviously being the veteran troopers. The only real way to know where a trooper is assigned is to listen when they logon and do their radio check at the start of their shift (signal 21) and indicate where they're assigned for example, "5-comm 5276 CAD logon Hamilton display."

joshua86

the 3 digit numbers are the car numbers which for the most part are insignificant for what you re describing, but I belive the turnpike, parkway, and ac expressway cars have special numbers...try this link,
New Jersey State PD 800 Mhz Systems the car IDs are at the very bottom of the page but the whole thing will probably be usefull to you. Hope this helps

scannersnstuff

i believe the gsp id's car number's like 199,206 etc.
the pike use's or used 800 number's.

i have an interesting question. the station car's i.e. hamilton do not have id number's on the side. how does each trooper know what car's are their's ?.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
i believe the gsp id's car number's like 199,206 etc.
the pike use's or used 800 number's.

i have an interesting question. the station car's i.e. hamilton do not have id number's on the side. how does each trooper know what car's are their's ?.

By the number of dents in the doors or graffiti on the side?? ;)

jrb6940

Premium Subscriber
The display station doesnt neccessarily say what unit they are in, that is just the area they are operating in. You will also hear things like, assign to V300 (CVI) display C020 (Bordentown), meaning they are truck enforcement Troopers working in Bordentown Station's area.

Any T codes you hear for assign are overtime details.

The car numbers really dont mean anything, cars are constantly changing from station to station and unit to unit. The numbers are displayed on the roof of the troop car and also the last three digits of the license plates (aside from unmarked cars). The turnpike authority owns the troop cars, so they can letter them as they want, hence the numbers on the side. The parkway puts numbers on the back b post, the turnpike- on the drivers side by the front door hinge I think.

Hope this helps.

jrb6940

Premium Subscriber
But the turnpike typically numbers their cars in the 800 - 900 range. The expressway cars are two digit car numbers. Yes, you can have a turnpike car and a Troop A/B/C with the same number. Within the cad system, the turnpike puts a D or E in front of the car number to avoid any confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.