NJSP - What to monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2IRT

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,
Yet another BewilderedBeginner™ post. I'm in the midst of programming my new 996XT. In the past I rarely monitored the NJSP since I stayed mostly in the local towns near my home in western Essex County. With the new truck and more trips on the highway I'd like to more actively scan the state pleece, in addition to the local FDs and PDs. I have all the Troop B TGs programmed on the "Simulcast" site , as well as the toll roads TGs. My primary interest is very casual monitoring of patrol operations, if there's a wreck ahead, a pursuit, some major newsworthy event--stuff like that. Knowing what's going on around me, basically.

I have 3 big question marks at the moment. First off, what areas do 2-comm, 3-comm, 4-comm and 5-comm cover? The database has all the TGs, but what's missing is what the boundaries are between the groups. Are they demarcated by county borders? Highways?? I'm mainly driving on Rt. 80, from 287 to the GWB, Routes 3, 46 and 23 and the Parkway and Turnpike from 80 to Newark airport. Very rarely I go down to 78 and across to the airport or west toward PA.

Second, Are there any other TGs I should be monitoring on the 800 MHz system at the moment to cover the things I'm interested in? What about Type-1 talkgroups on the NJICS system? Do I need any sites programmed in other than the Troop B simulcast?

Finally, for my older at-home scanner (BC780xlt), what TGs carry comms should I be listening to, aside from the X-comm patrol TGs?

Many thanks in advance.

W2IRT

Premium Subscriber
Thanks--some good info there, especially the maps.
I'm curious, though. What would be best to listen to while mobile? If one were to look at the programming in a news van or tow truck that's on the go, I'm sure they don't listen to every channel and TG from that list. You'd never be able to follow a conversation!

Status
Not open for further replies.