NJUTAC Channnels

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
SCANdal said:
ken,

I don't want to hijack this thread with this topic, so this will be my last comments on this matter. Your points are well made, but I wanted to add that those times when a radio "is quicker and more effective" are extremely rare.

SCANdal

Agreed, but I can tell you that i've been in those situations.

SCPD

QRT
RocketNJ said:
I take it you never went to the training for the MIRS radios? The county covered the UTAC channel useage in the presentation.

I wasn't invited or at the very least I don't remember. I guess i'm not that important. I would say that 1/2 of my old dept. are afraid to use the radios because they know the whole county can hear them.

SCPD

QRT
kenisned said:
I always get nuts when I hear one of our firefighters or emts using a personal radio to call in things like a disabled motor vehicle...

You know they have a cell phone on them.

The problem is that the dispatchers are busy and when you make a radio call when there is no fire/ems response going on, it really gets confusing for them.

I have no problems with them having a personal radio. In my department, the only requirement is that the radio have an identifier programmed with that member's ID. There are times, when the radio is quicker and more effective for true emergencies.

I 100% agree, and I would never call in a disabled. That sounds like BLFAS, they give everyone a radio, and they all use it!

SCPD

QRT
SCANdal said:
ken,

I don't want to hijack this thread with this topic, so this will be my last comments on this matter. Your points are well made, but I wanted to add that those times when a radio "is quicker and more effective" are extremely rare.

SCANdal

Maybe in NY that's true.

RocketNJ

Hey Res148cue,

res148cue said:
I wasn't invited or at the very least I don't remember. I guess i'm not that important. I would say that 1/2 of my old dept. are afraid to use the radios because they know the whole county can hear them.

As Dun pointed out, go to http://www.morrisoem.org/blogs/training_group.asp
and scroll down to training materials and download the information. It explains the system as well as outlines useage of the system.

I wouldn't be afraid to use the system. The nice thing about the TRS is you don't have the BS you typically hear on SPEN.

SCPD

QRT
RocketNJ said:
Hey Res148cue,

As Dun pointed out, go to http://www.morrisoem.org/blogs/training_group.asp
and scroll down to training materials and download the information. It explains the system as well as outlines useage of the system.

I wouldn't be afraid to use the system. The nice thing about the TRS is you don't have the BS you typically hear on SPEN.

I have that info already. I'm not afraid to use it and I have used it when responding to another town mutual aid. I was just mentionong some people on my old dept.

From people who I have spoken to that are in the know with the county, I don't think they gave much training except to say how the system works. I don't recall anyone mentioning when to use the system. But I could be wrong. It sounded like to me at the time they just installed the radios and let agencies figure it out for themselves. I doubt you will hear SPEN tranmissions from Morris County unless they need to let a town in another county know about a bolo. MIRS 1 has been the SPEN for the county.

Status
Not open for further replies.