NLRPD To use wireless technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetyobc

If you enjoy monitoring the North Little Rock Police Department (NLRPD) on your scanner, you will likely begin hearing less and less radio communications from them as time goes on. Why? Wireless Third Generation Technology (3G) from Alltel.

The new technology puts wireless information at the fingertips of NLRPD officers. The information is displayed on touch screen computers mounted in the patrol cars. The officer can instantly pull up license information, mug shots, crime records, and various other data that has been previously performed by the dispatchers. The information no longer has to be transmitted over the radio which will reduce the amount of radio traffic by the NLRPD.

The officers can securely "chat" between each other much like a chat board on the internet further reducing radio traffic. The new system even has GPS capabilities which show real time maps of other patrol units locations throughout the city and a description of the call they are on. Now, what is dispatched can be displayed on the screen including address and type of call for all units to see. As of today only 4 out of 60 cars have this technology available. But there are plans to slowly incorporate this into other patrol units.

Reports also state that the Little Rock PD will evaluate the use of this technology in the future.

VernM

It's all "wireless," only not voice. You will have to seek out their digital computer-to-computer repeater channels so you can watch 'em on your own computer.

safetyobc

VernM said:
It's all "wireless," only not voice. You will have to seek out their digital computer-to-computer repeater channels so you can watch 'em on your own computer.

Yep, all wireless.

But I doubt seriously you can log on with your PC. I am sure it will be a secure network. And if you do log on, I am certain it will be illegal.

I'll bet NLR won't offer the internet access free to the public like New Orleans is doing:

http://news.com.com/New+Orleans+to+offer+free+Wi-Fi/2100-7351_3-5975845.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/28/AR2005112801773.html

Status
Not open for further replies.