NM radio systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisABQ

I know I've heard that Bernalillo County is eventually going to P25, I'm not sure if the bond for that has been voted on yet or not. I just received my absentee ballot today and there is no bond open for vote for Albuquerque or Bernalillo Counties radio upgrade.

There is, however, a state bond for the state police radio system and department upgrades.

Just thought I would pass on this info.

DigitalRain

Hopefully that will mean that they will share the same system with APD,BCSO and AFD. That is if the system can handle all that traffic

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
The last I heard, ABQ & BernCo were looking at a new system since the current EDACS is obsolete. I don't know where in the process they stand, but I do know that a major sticking point is that BernCo is...um...broke. BernCo is also has a habit for taking a long time to make up thier minds on things, even when funds are available. I can see the current EDACS system in use for another five years, at least.

It would be nice to see a true state-wide system similar to Colorado's DTRS.

SCPD

QRT
Will never happen state wide at least in the next 10 years. Many counties and municipalities are against trunking or against being on someone else's control at least with current sheriffs, Police chiefs, fire chiefs and local oems. While a very few would jump on most couldn't afford it anyway and have a hard time stretching out vhf conventional systems. If you haven't noticed allot of municipalities, counties are well in a deficit hole and won't be any time soon before they get out. Allot of municipal and county entities take the radio issue to a commission with a detailed presentation to get it passed or denied. Haven't seen many in the state go public with the publics option or opinion. Being the state is in its own holes there is reasons it got stuffed on a ballot with other items to acquire the monies with spending. Last two who went to a multi million dollar motorola system did it in closed commission sessions during budget work shops which the press and public are not allowed to attend however some details are given about the closed work shops but did not contain any radio information.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I know I've heard that Bernalillo County is eventually going to P25, I'm not sure if the bond for that has been voted on yet or not. I just received my absentee ballot today and there is no bond open for vote for Albuquerque or Bernalillo Counties radio upgrade.

There is, however, a state bond for the state police radio system and department upgrades.

Just thought I would pass on this info.

The decisions been made and hardware acquired however with anything it takes more money. Building of sites and microwave linking. As it is vhf will be around for a long time in the microwaved duplex vhf. It was all upgraded to latest and greatest last couple years state wide. 700 will be used once implemented in larger areas where pheasable along with the uhf med channels being moved to the 700. I don't think many will like the full proposed voice plan for the med channels and SP dispatch and state car on 700. Uhf will be maintained in areas eho utilize it whenever the 700 upgrade occurs in certain districts as well as vhf maintained as it will be part of the planned proposed system. Dual and all band motorola radios will solve the issue of various bands in use. If the bond passes you will see apx radios in the units and apx 8000s on the state officers. And yes I should add allot was switched from cache that is digital xts portables handed out last few months. Some purchased before they went eol from motorola. So in sense double spending will occur if th goes through and the apx 8000 and apx mobile all banders will be in use once purchased and installed. You can count on them having mace in them.

Keep in mind with a few entities using 700mhz dual and all band radios would help SP, search and rescue, Probation, corrections, nmdot in communications with mutual aide in those areas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.