• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NMO antenna mount installtion on aluminum F-150

Status
Not open for further replies.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I can't find my old install notes, but the Comtelco did sweep a bit broader. May have a bit to do with the metal mount and spring size, as well as larger diameter whip.

The whip is thicker than others so that'd make sense.

K7MFC

WRAA720
Late to the party (especially regarding roof cross bracket location) but if you go here Body Builder Advisory Service you can drill to structural locations for any ford vehicle.

Thanks for sharing, a lot of useful info there (including where to correctly ground an accessory). I erred on the side of caution and did not drill through any structural members on the roof.

K7MFC

WRAA720
A little sneak preview of the work currently in-progress:

dKHaB0l.png

A complete install thread in the shack photos forum coming soon...

K7MFC

WRAA720
I was worried about the same thing, but the BCD996P2 is readable from the driver's seat - setting the display background color to white makes it the most readable. I suspect the radio that will be installed below it will be a little less readable.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
One of my coworkers has that with the O9 control head. I rode a bit with him and it was OK, but i can't imagine the O7 or other heads working well. I opted for a top mount console for mine. Works good so far but need more room. My O9 is sitting in a box.

halftime

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for sharing, a lot of useful info there (including where to correctly ground an accessory). I erred on the side of caution and did not drill through any structural members on the roof.

This is the best document to the 2011 superduty. It has all the dimensions, but not the roof structural.

K4RBT

We were supplied a 3/4" hole saw of dubious quality at VSP. I found a 3/4 hole saw in an aircraft tool catalog. This solved all the problems we were having putting antennas in aluminum. You drill a 1/4 inch pilot hole. The saw has a smooth arbor, not flutes. The removable cutter did not have any waves in the teeth and they were 1/8 inch wide. Some people would start cutting at an angle. With this, you put it flat one the sheet and started slow. These things had really sharp teeth and would slice through the aluminum. You measured the hole and it was precisely 3/4" and the antenna base coming up from underneath fit the hole snugly. After I left, I bought my own and it still has the original cutter after 18 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.