NMO antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have any experience with any VHF/800MHz antennas (I'm sure there's some out there)? Looking to scan 150MHz and Starcom.. Have an NMO mount on my Flatbed tow truck.

Any input appreciated.

jim202

Anyone have any experience with any VHF/800MHz antennas (I'm sure there's some out there)? Looking to scan 150MHz and Starcom.. Have an NMO mount on my Flatbed tow truck.

Any input appreciated.

Comtelco has a triband antenna that looks like one if the 800 MHz coiled antenna in the middle. Have used them on a number of mobile command vehicles where they needed to add more radios and didn't have any way to add more antenna mounts to the roof. They are unity gain, but they do the job.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Austin Spectra. I have one of those on my Ford Escape. Read my review of it in the equipment reviews elsewhere on the board. It worked quite well on STARCOM when I went through Illinois last year on my cross country trip. Worked equally well on the South Dakota VHF System. Pricey? Yes. Worth every penny I paid for it!

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Wow, that is a pricey antenna.... But the reviews are good... Might have to save my birthday money for that one tho...hehe

Appreciate the feedback.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Larsen NMO150/450/800. Search this forum for it and you'll find lots of references.

Any ham radio store should be able to get it.

Last edited:

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
I use the Comtelco tri-bander, works great with my Pro-197, except it tends to get overloaded on the Starcom simulcast sites (but then again, so does everything...). I was able to get Chicago weather radio up in Sheboygan loud and clear with it (without a band opening).

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
For mobile scanning I use the Larsen tri-band antenna,its a nice short antenna that works good.

prcguy

Last edited:

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
There is an online scanner test report that' shows the older open coil Larsen 800 NMO antenna works very well on VHF and better than any multiband scanner on 800. It sounds like a real good choice for the OPs bands

The test report is here:
www.interceptradio.com/wiki/index.php/Mobile_Antenna_Comparison

prcguy

Thanks for the link to the article PRCGUY.. Like the real world text and evaluation.. You've all given me great suggestions, and plenty to think about..

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I used to use an NMO motorola 800 Pigtail for a scanner antenna Scanned VHF, UHF-T, 800 and it worked great on all the bands, even a few ISP lowbands.

Status
Not open for further replies.