• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NMO mount for hatchback

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfxChris

Database Admin
Hey folks,

I'm wondering what sort of options are out there for an NMO mount for a hatchback? I've got an 08 Mazda3 Sport hatchback and a Larsen NMO150/450/800 tri-band antenna.

I've seen what Comet sells, the CP-5NMO: http://www.cheapham.com/COM-CP5.html
But I'm wondering if I have some other options as far as other manufacturers of the same type of mount, or other mounting ideas I haven't even considered!
Right now I'm liking the idea of mounting it onto the hatchback its self. And to answer the question that I know is going to come up, I'm not drilling any holes ;) I know it's the best option, but I'm just not going down that road. Mag mounts are out too.
Thanks!!

af5rn

What about drilling un-noticeable holes? An L-bracket hood-groove mount gives you the solid ground and ground plane of a hole mount, without having to actually drill a hole in the roof or body. It just requires two or three sheet metal screws into the metal of the engine compartment, totally out of site.

There are some trunk-lip style mounts out there that can be made to work on hatchbacks, like the one you linked, but frequently, the hatchback itself is not metal, so the groundplane is nil, resulting in horrible performance. If your hatchback is indeed metal, then that is a viable option that will probably work pretty well. But the hood-groove mount would be better.

If you're unwilling to even do a hood-groove L-bracket, and your hatchback is fibreglass, then you're pretty much stuck with a mag mount, which -- as always -- sucks.

Last edited:

KD8TZC

Premium Subscriber
Chris... I know this is a really old thread, but what did you eventually decide to do? I'm in a similar situation with a hatchback, but was only looking at mag mounts. I too don't want to drill holes and then saw your post. Just curious on what you did and what the results were and what you would do differently (if anything).

Thanks,

jvn

Status
Not open for further replies.