NMO Mount...

Status
Not open for further replies.

aschenavar

Alright folks, I'm a newbie here looking to get more familiar with the whole radio scene. I just purchased a Motorola MaxTrac 300 40W VHF. I have a quarter-wave antenna for it that I have been told should be mounted on the top of my truck...which I'm okay with doing now that I've seen some. My question is based on the following coaxial kit I have, what size and kind of bit do I need to do this properly.

I have a MAB8P 3/8 Antenex Brand that was given to me a while back.

Thanks for any help

W2NJS

You need a 3/8 inch drill or holesaw, or a 3/8 inch hole punch. You cut the hole and install the mount from the top, pushing the cable ahead of the connector into the headliner area, then you screw on the brass top which will hold the mount in place.

In practice over many years I've found that a punch makes a cleaner, neater hole than any drill bit or hole saw. With the punch you still have to drill a hole to start with but it's smaller and easier to control.

You'll also probably have to drop the headliner in the truck, though you may be able to snake the cable through without doing so.

aschenavar

Well I got it drilled..scared to death when I was doing it lol but I got it and it looks good! I also dropped all the trim pieces and did it all right so you cant see any wires or anything..i'm happy

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Permanent mount antennas always look good if done right. Way nicer than a mag mount. I've done a lot of them over the years and if done right, they will last a long time. Congratulations on your first!

Status
Not open for further replies.