• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NMO mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjl13

QRT
Hello.

I have been looking around for a base station nmo mount with a ground plane that works in vhf, uhf and 800mhz, but I can’t find one. It also needs to have a so239 connector(for pl259)

If anyone knows of any, let me know.

Thanks.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Hello.

I have been looking around for a base station nmo mount with a ground plane that works in vhf, uhf and 800mhz, but I can’t find one. It also needs to have a so239 connector(for pl259)

If anyone knows of any, let me know.

Thanks.
You have generally opposing requests, as most things that handle 800 will have an N connector. An adapter could be used, but adds weight, and a potential failure point. (That is in addition to having all the negatives associated with the UHF connector.)

This model covers up to 512 MHz:
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-mbc-1649

This model covers the frequencies, but has an N connector:
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-mbc800lbt-7530

Sent using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you get one of the base station adapters that is designed for VHF, it'll work fine on UHF and 800MHz.
The ground radials are the concern. Ideally you want the ground radials to be at least 1/4 wavelength long. Longer will not hurt.

Getting a base station mount for VHF will give you ground radials that are around 18-19 inches long. That'll work great for VHF, and work just fine for UHF and 800.

These have UHF connectors. They'll work OK for 800MHz, but ideally you'd want an N connector, better at higher frequencies, but you may not notice a difference.
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-bsa-kit-6073

This one has an N connector. This would be preferred:
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-mbcn-7531

kjl13

QRT
If you get one of the base station adapters that is designed for VHF, it'll work fine on UHF and 800MHz.
The ground radials are the concern. Ideally you want the ground radials to be at least 1/4 wavelength long. Longer will not hurt.

Getting a base station mount for VHF will give you ground radials that are around 18-19 inches long. That'll work great for VHF, and work just fine for UHF and 800.

These have UHF connectors. They'll work OK for 800MHz, but ideally you'd want an N connector, better at higher frequencies, but you may not notice a difference.

Alright, thanks. I put pl 259 connectors on lmr 400 and it would be a pain to buy more connectors for type n and then put them on it; so which would be the best option? I plan on using this antenna or one like this. Tessco - 503018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Alright, thanks. I put pl 259 connectors on lmr 400 and it would be a pain to buy more connectors for type n and then put them on it; so which would be the best option? I plan on using this antenna or one like this. Tessco - 503018

You'll only need one theoretically.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

If putting the correct connector on is a problem, then just stick with the PL259. If you can swap it out to an "N" connector, that would be a good idea.
N connectors perform better at higher frequencies. They also have some waterproofing as part of their design. PL259's do not.
Either way, you'll need to pay close attention to making sure the outdoor connection (N or PL-259) is very well waterproofed.

As for the antenna, that should work. Not an outstanding performer on VHF, it's just 1/4 wave, but should be an improvement over having no external antenna.

WRCM

This is the best answer for what you're looking for.

kjl13

QRT
If putting the correct connector on is a problem, then just stick with the PL259. If you can swap it out to an "N" connector, that would be a good idea.
N connectors perform better at higher frequencies. They also have some waterproofing as part of their design. PL259's do not.
Either way, you'll need to pay close attention to making sure the outdoor connection (N or PL-259) is very well waterproofed.

As for the antenna, that should work. Not an outstanding performer on VHF, it's just 1/4 wave, but should be an improvement over having no external antenna.

Well, I already have an antenna up there. This antenna is for a Motorola XTVA, so I can just throw an XTS in it.
If having only one antenna is not the way to go, I can do three antennae (it will just be a pain to mount them all and also cost more money.)

Let me know of your recommendations and I will look into how much it would cost.

I was looking into a triplexer with three antennas, so I can break it up by band.

Regards,
Kyle

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No, that antenna shouldn't be an issue if you've got a good signal to work with. I wouldn't mess with anything until you get it all put together and tested. If it works for you, then that is all that matters.

kjl13

QRT
No, that antenna shouldn't be an issue if you've got a good signal to work with. I wouldn't mess with anything until you get it all put together and tested. If it works for you, then that is all that matters.
Well, having a ground plane made for vhf won’t really do too good. Is there something bad about using a triplexer?

Also, I am in a valley surrounded by 200-300 Ft hills. If you think it willl do fine, I guess I will do that, but I want to make sure I can make it the best I can.

WRCM

Well, having a ground plane made for vhf won’t really do too good. Is there something bad about using a triplexer?

Also, I am in a valley surrounded by 200-300 Ft hills. If you think it willl do fine, I guess I will do that, but I want to make sure I can make it the best I can.
If you're surrounded by hills, you don't want antenna gain. That's counterproductive because you will just be shooting a narrower, stronger beam into those hills instead of a wider pattern that can maybe find a way out of the valley. My situation is the same.

kjl13

QRT
I mean, I get repeaters 40-50 miles away because of the height of their sites. So.... are you recommending something like a yagi.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The ground plane, as long as it is 1/4 wave or larger, won't degrade performance. I have a 1/4 wave antenna on top of my truck, and there's much more than 18 inches of ground plane underneath it.

As for antenna gain, as WRCM said, lower gain antennas can work in your favor. I'm in a valley also, and mostly in mountainous areas. 1/4 wave works well. Higher gain antennas can work against you in some applications.

I fixed a repeater system that had been installed by someone else a few months ago. The original installer had put up a 6dB gain antenna on a system that was on a very steep mountain side. The customer was having coverage issues. Putting up a zero dB gain antenna improved coverage by quite a bit.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Good tri-plexers can be expensive. Additional cabling, additional antennas, plus you have to mount all those guys with ground planes, waterproofing the connectors, etc.

If the tri-band antenna works, then go with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.