NMO rubber gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlexiv

Does anybody know of a source for rubber gaskets for NMO mount antennas like the one in the attached graphic? I checked both Home Depot and Lowe's with no success although it's always possible that I missed it. A local purchase would be great - I found a couple online dealers that have them but paying $8 shipping for a gasket is insane.

Attachments

• gasket.jpg
    gasket.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 5,139

hoser147

Check to see if there is a local comm place around that services public safety radios they ought to be able to sell ya one. Another option would be the local automotive store, you can buy gasket material in various forms by the sheet or roll from them and cut it to what you need. Good Luck hope this helps.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
No problem. Check with Larsen,they have them.
n9zas

mrweather

Larsen's gaskets have a ridge on the inside that fits in the groove of the base of their antenna coils.

The one pictured by the OP appears to be a simple flat gasket. I haven't seen such a thing in the Larsen catalogue.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Sorry people, but whenever I install an antenna I just throw them away. They are a pain and serve no real purpose. The mount is sealed by the O ring underneath. A quarter wave whip will seal the top of the mount by its rubber "cone". Gain antennas will have an internal gasket or O ring in the base. Installed correctly with a little silicon grease, they will be leak free (until that tree limb at 50mph hits you).

Antenna kits ordered from Motorola have never contained this outer gasket. The only thing I see they are good for is to keep you from cranking the chrome nut on a 1/4 wave down way too tight. $8 for a replacement? Rather spend my money getting my mic clip powder coated.

KC9AXZ

$1.50 each, $1.00 shipping for the first one. Additional are $0.10 shipping each.

Another good place to shop for these are local hamfests. Sure you'll pay an entry fee to get in, but you'll find a lot of good things once your in. Hamfests are not just for Amateurs, you'll find a lot of cool electronic related items.

Look at: Hamfests and Conventions Calendar

Jon

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Sorry people, but whenever I install an antenna I just throw them away. They are a pain and serve no real purpose. The mount is sealed by the O ring underneath. A quarter wave whip will seal the top of the mount by its rubber "cone". Gain antennas will have an internal gasket or O ring in the base. Installed correctly with a little silicon grease, they will be leak free (until that tree limb at 50mph hits you).

Antenna kits ordered from Motorola have never contained this outer gasket. The only thing I see they are good for is to keep you from cranking the chrome nut on a 1/4 wave down way too tight. $8 for a replacement? Rather spend my money getting my mic clip powder coated.

Well if they werent important they why do they include them? I have been installing for 15 yrs and have always used them. They work for sealing the hole from leaks and in a few years when I have to remove the NMO from the vehicle I dont have to cut the brass ring off when the mount is rusted.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
The inner O ring works just fine for sealing the hole. If you have to deal with rusted/frozen mounts or rusted bubbled car roofs, you may consider a little silicon grease to prolong the install. I've had mixers survive 10+ years of acid washes and not a lick of rust (all without those cheezy rubber landing pads).

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
We use dielectric grease. what might work for you in sunny dry California doesnt work in wet salty chicago..

Status
Not open for further replies.