Nmo trunk lip antenna mount with multiband antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

repairman222

When installing a Nmo trip lip antenna mount, do I need to sand the paint down to bare metal? Just using a multi band antenna to receive scanner freqs. No transmit. Thanks members.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I don't think so, maybe it would help especially if you were transmitting, anytime I used a lip mount I've never done that but do be very careful of the molding, you don't want anything digging into the molding then causing a leak into your trunk.

Then again you could just drill a hole;) but I understand that's not possible in a lot of cases.

repairman222

I don't think so, maybe it would help especially if you were transmitting, anytime I used a lip mount I've never done that but do be very careful of the molding, you don't want anything digging into the molding then causing a leak into your trunk.

Then again you could just drill a hole;) but I understand that's not possible in a lot of cases.
My reception is iffy, might need a ground strap.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
from the metal screw to the metal truck?

From the antenna connector base (shield side) to the mount's ground point (set screw, etc.)

To confirm ideal grounding then yes you'd want to have continuity between the connector and body -- a metal bolt, etc.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Those small hex screws have a rounded pointed tip that really grinds through the pain into the bare metal by design. They are made to create a good ground. Before tightening the screws I usually give the lip mount a little tap with a hammer just to make sure it's on as tight as possible and flush against the lip of the trunk.

repairman222

Those small hex screws have a rounded pointed tip that really grinds through the pain into the bare metal by design. They are made to create a good ground. Before tightening the screws I usually give the lip mount a little tap with a hammer just to make sure it's on as tight as possible and flush against the lip of the trunk.
With the screws in the trunk lip mount? Hammer time?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
No, before you tighten the hex screws. Sometimes the lip Mount is a little tight and slight taps with a hammer will bring it flush against the trunk then you tighten the hex screws as tight as you can and they grind into the paint to the bare metal. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.