NMSP radio and gear stolen

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber

So was it the standard uhf single band pac radio or one of the all band portables the specialized guys have? And if a apx8000 why hasn't it been inhibited on the state of art 700mhz as its still missing?

Someone has a nice aes loaded radio hearing the apd system if it's the 8000.

This is why you don't leave your gear unsecured in a unit.

FKimble

Maybe they want it working so they can find him easier? Or every push of the PTT button produces another criminal charge to pile on him!

Frank

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
The radio itself had been determined to be out of hands of the initial suspects sold off or handed off.

The radio was in the vest that was stolen at time but the main target of the suspect was the weapons and vests.

It at some point got removed.

If it was a pac radio even if they had mdc enabled with the common 9Fxx or 8Fxx etc ID some people seem to have issue or lack of understanding settings as I personally seen at a shop some newer pac radios where comment the tech made was some idiot didn't program these right from Santa fe lacking those features enabled to be used. Even then being a pac radio they'd have to be pretty close to its vicinity to make a stun occur as it goes off the unit repeater system or one nearby.

At most it can hear a units scan list or channel it's parked on if within range of a pac enabled system unit.

I hear various fire, ems and LE itself has been target of increase in theft in regards to equipment in that region more so lately.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground

So was it the standard uhf single band pac radio or one of the all band portables the specialized guys have? And if a apx8000 why hasn't it been inhibited on the state of art 700mhz as its still missing?

Someone has a nice aes loaded radio hearing the apd system if it's the 8000.

This is why you don't leave your gear unsecured in a unit.

This is why power-on passwords/PINs need to be used on secure radios.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
This is why power-on passwords/PINs need to be used on secure radios.
I agree. We use it on some but many feel it's a safety issue with fire and LE if the radio is shut off during duty use and user has to take the radio and enter password so many don't use that option in those areas.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
Indeed. Many officers at my agency shut off their portables when inside their patrol unit, both to preserve battery life and to prevent feedback when using the mobile.

Soft power down should be used in this instance to prevent audio feedback. Battery life is a different matter.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Its hard to get users to even change a zone let alone other buttons. I know Albuquerque dispatch has been playing with the talkgroup steering where users don't have to play with the radio. Many never could tell you what exactly their radio has in it only using channel one never scanning or know the scan button and always leave it on scan.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
I think many of you seem to forget officers are law enforcement, they are not radio hobbyists.

Yes, yes, yes! Law enforcement officers have a huge load of things to be thinking about and their radios are but just one tool they have to use. Making a vehicle stop requires thinking about 25 or more decisions to make. There is a YouTube video that shows what they have to think about while making a vehicle stop, which includes probable cause determination and a few court cases about that. In general LEO's don't understand radio very well as compared to firefighters, who on average, are quite skilled at using the mobiles and handhelds in they use in daily work, as well as initial and extended attack. Firefighters know the ICS system far better than LEO's as they respond to mutual aid situations far more than LEO's will accomplish in their careers. Don't knock the cops for not knowing their radios very well.

Last edited: