No Airband ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

minskie

Premium Subscriber
I just bought a new 396XT

All the digital trunk systems work fine as does the amatuer radio and a few other systems I have in there.

But I can't get the airband systems to work. They scan ok but totally deaf on these freqs.

Any ideas? I must have an incorrect setting in there somewhere?

I used Freescan to load all these systems in and they all appear to be correct.

Any help appreciated.

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
Could it be that it is programed as FM instead of AM? Airband uses AM modulation.

ray smith

Mine did the same thing. But it was set to FM not AM. Changed it works fine now.

minskie

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys,

I have an old Uniden 200XLT sitting here that picks up the airband ok.

So it's not my reception.

I'll check the AM/FM settings. Must be some simple thing I've overlooked?

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
You should also double check the "Audio Type" settings as well. From time to time, I've found that a frequency that should be analog (which all aviation freqs are) got changed to digital.

minskie

Premium Subscriber
You should also double check the "Audio Type" settings as well. From time to time, I've found that a frequency that should be analog (which all aviation freqs are) got changed to digital.

Thanks ShyFlyer,

Shall do.

SCPD

QRT
airband

Did you try doing a Service Search of the aircraft band ?It should automatically select AM for you.I had used a 396XT at an airshow,and it works perfect.Do you have the attenutor on?Try another antenna,maybe the stock antenna is bad.

minskie

Premium Subscriber
Did you try doing a Service Search of the aircraft band ?It should automatically select AM for you.I had used a 396XT at an airshow,and it works perfect.Do you have the attenutor on?Try another antenna,maybe the stock antenna is bad.

Thanks k2rty,

It was due to my software loading airband with FM settings. I changed them all to AM now it's fine.

Duh! I should have checked that. This is the fourth 396 I've owned so I should have known better.

I don't use this radio all that often and I get rusty and forget whats what.

By the way,

Anyone have any idea if you can do a 'Batch' conversion in Freescan ? I have another file that has about 120 freq's and they all need changing from FM to AM too. I'll be there all day.

Can't see any way other than one at a time!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks k2rty,

It was due to my software loading airband with FM settings. I changed them all to AM now it's fine.

Duh! I should have checked that. This is the fourth 396 I've owned so I should have known better.

I don't use this radio all that often and I get rusty and forget whats what.

By the way,

Anyone have any idea if you can do a 'Batch' conversion in Freescan ? I have another file that has about 120 freq's and they all need changing from FM to AM too. I'll be there all day.

Can't see any way other than one at a time!
There's an easy shortcut.

Hold down the <Shift> key, and click on the last one in the list you want to change, so that all of them are selected (highlighted).
Now,hold down the <Ctrl> key, instead of <Shift>, and click the Mode of one of your selected entries and flip it to AM.
While still holding down the <Ctrl> key, click the mode of another line. It, and all the rest of your entries, will flip to AM.

This also works if you wanted to assign them all the same display color, or any other common setting that is chosen from a drop-down menu.

If the channels (frequencies) or talkgroup ID's on a trunked system that you want to assign a common value to are not consecutively listed, hold down the <Ctrl> and sect them individually.

minskie

Premium Subscriber
There's an easy shortcut.

Hold down the <Shift> key, and click on the last one in the list you want to change, so that all of them are selected (highlighted).
Now,hold down the <Ctrl> key, instead of <Shift>, and click the Mode of one of your selected entries and flip it to AM.
While still holding down the <Ctrl> key, click the mode of another line. It, and all the rest of your entries, will flip to AM.

This also works if you wanted to assign them all the same display color, or any other common setting that is chosen from a drop-down menu.

If the channels (frequencies) or talkgroup ID's on a trunked system that you want to assign a common value to are not consecutively listed, hold down the <Ctrl> and sect them individually.

Thanks heaps Steve,

Awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.