No analog audio but Digital is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

WD6ABC

Premium Subscriber
I've had more than one occasion where the scanner will stop on an analog signal (PL or no PL) and there won't be any audio
yet Digital decodes just fine. Power cycling the radio fixes the problem.
Using the most recent 1.10.00 firmware.
Anyone else experiencing that?

John B

kwebster7327

I've noticed that a couple times. Chalked it up to some kind of local signal noise at the time.

I can't repeat it. Not a show stopper, but I'd be interested in hearing an explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ubbe

Quickly turn down squelch to 0 when that happens, especially if you haven't set a fixed subtone, to hear if the signal are gone due to RF interference problems or if it is a squelch problem, that also could be due to interference that could create a broadbanded signal that triggers the squelch to close from the excessive high frequency components in the audio. You could also note the signal strenght indicators when it goes silent. Is it the same frequencies that have that problem? Then check their filter settings before power cycling and check if they are different after the power cycle.

/Ubbe

WD6ABC

Premium Subscriber
Quickly turn down squelch to 0 when that happens, especially if you haven't set a fixed subtone, to hear if the signal are gone due to RF interference problems or if it is a squelch problem, that also could be due to interference that could create a broadbanded signal that triggers the squelch to close from the excessive high frequency components in the audio. You could also note the signal strenght indicators when it goes silent. Is it the same frequencies that have that problem? Then check their filter settings before power cycling and check if they are different after the power cycle.

/Ubbe
I can change the scanner to the Weather frequency, see the high signal strength but no audio.
The scanner operates as usual when it stops on the Analog channel, just no audio.
Once I reboot it, the audio is back again on the Weather frequency and others.

John B

magnaculpa

I can change the scanner to the Weather frequency, see the high signal strength but no audio.
The scanner operates as usual when it stops on the Analog channel, just no audio.
Once I reboot it, the audio is back again on the Weather frequency and others.

John B
John B,

I'm experiencing the same issue, I think. I'll be riding along in my truck and notice that I haven't heard anything from the scanner in a few minutes. At a traffic light or other safe spot, if I look at the scanner I see that it is stopping on transmissions but no audio is present. I haven't messed with it enough to know if it is analog only or both analog and digital channels. I think the problem occurs on both since the scanner goes completely mute. My solution, like yours, is to power cycle the scanner which restores everything to normal.

Of course the problem showed up on the 31st day of ownership which means the unit will have to go back to Uniden instead of my retailer. I'm hesitating calling Uniden Tech Support since they already have my dead HP-2 (for the second time), so I'd be interested in hearing what ideas folks may have about what is going on.

Joe_Blough

This is really bad.

Unlike watching a TV or listening to a broadcast music station where you would immediately notice no video or audio output, scanners are by their nature quiet at times and you don't know that you are missing stuff until you don't hear anything for a while and look to see it stopped but no had audio.

How often does this happen? Every few minutes or hours?

Hope this isn't going to be another common problem like the hum.

WD6ABC

Premium Subscriber
This is really bad.

Unlike watching a TV or listening to a broadcast music station where you would immediately notice no video or audio output, scanners are by their nature quiet at times and you don't know that you are missing stuff until you don't hear anything for a while and look to see it stopped but no had audio.

Usually days.

John B.

magnaculpa

Usually days.

John B.
Mine is sporadic. Some days it won't happen at all (like today). Other days it seems to happen after 30 mins to an hour of operation. The other day it happened, I powered the scanner off then back on, and it happened again after approx. 15 minutes. Of course, this makes troubleshooting really, really hard ;-(

WD6ABC

Premium Subscriber
Today it went to distorted audio. (Listening to WX channel)
Tried changing Audio Off Time setting, Global filter. No help.
Only a reboot (power cycle or MSM command) fixes it.

John B

996XT
996P2
436HP
SDS200

scanner8143

Feed Provider
This is really bad.

My problem was happening about every 30 minutes to 2 hours or so when I had the Carbon County Fire/EMS paging freq turned on, once I set the 4 Carbon County freq's to Avoid I haven't had a problem with the audio for almost 24 hours. I have removed the Avoid for one Carbon County Fire freq that does not have paging tones to see what happens.

magnaculpa

Sorry for the long gap between replies, but I've been out-of-pocket for a couple of months. Anyway, my SDS-200 is still losing audio (analog and digital) while scanning. It will scan, stop on a station, but not put out any audio. I have narrowed it down to what I'll call "power cycling." My scanner is directly connected to the battery in my truck. If I'm going to be out of the truck for an extended length of time (a couple of hours), I will power the radio down with the volume control on/off switch. If I forget to shut the scanner off, when I re-start the truck the scanner power cycles -- I don't know why since like I said I have a direct connection to the battery. Sometimes, like maybe 10% of the time, the scanner will power back on in the "no audio" mode -- receiving signals but not producing audio. When I notice this, I just use the volume control power switch to let the unit write to the SD card, then power the unit back on. This process restores my audio out to normal.

When I first got this unit and this happened, the cheapo SD card Uniden provided was trashed. I replaced the crappy card with a Sandisk Extreme 32 GB SD card (red/beige) and haven't had any card failures since. Perhaps there is something wrong with my radio and the way it reads/writes to the SD card that is causing the audio to drop out after the "wrong" kind of power cycle. If no one else here has a similar issue I guess I'll call Uniden next week.

magnaculpa

Status
Not open for further replies.