No audio on a P-25 Trunked System

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRAYSCAN

Premium Subscriber
I recently programmed a P-25 trunked system on my 996P2 scanner. I noticed that the scanner will stop on the correct talk group, but no audio comes through the speaker. I don’t know what I have done wrong, any advise certainly would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Whiskey3JMC

Keep your friends close & your radios closer
Premium Subscriber
Telling us what system you are trying to monitor (post link to the DB) will help us help you troubleshoot greatly. Do you see the words "simulcast" anywhere on the site names? Perhaps encryption could be a factor?

TRAYSCAN

Premium Subscriber
No, it is not an encrypted talk group ID. I actually have it programmed on my SDS 200 and it comes in loud and clear. There is some kind of setting or some thing that needs to be adjusted on my 996P2

Whiskey3JMC

Keep your friends close & your radios closer
Premium Subscriber
There's your answer. As I mentioned above, looks like simulcast distortion is the problem here. Adjusting threshold settings on the 996p2 or using a directional antenna pointed in the direction of the closest repeater may or may not work but ultimately the SDS200 you have is designed to cope with simulcast distortion more optimally

Last edited:

fredva

Feed Provider
If the OP is programming in the Candler County site, there seems to be a lack of information to confirm that it is a simulcast site. The link to the FCC license, which would normally show the number of transmitters and whether they share the same frequencies, is a dead link. And the site notes indicate the frequencies are for a "tower", as opposed to several simulcast transmitters.

I would say there is a good chance that simulcast is the problem. However, I'm not able to confirm that with the info given.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Sure does sound like a simulcast problem. This can be confirmed by taking the scanner within about 1/4 mile of the tower and see if the issue goes away.

darkness975

Premium Subscriber
Also the fact that it comes in on the SDS100 points to Simulcast IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.