No backlight - distorted and low level audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

W7JPG

I recently acquired a BC780XLT which was working just fine and looks like new (the prior owner, a friend, upgraded to a newer unit). With a 40 meter inverted v antenna connected to the 780, I was able to receive local weather broadcasts loud and clear. No other signals were heard as I scanned various frequencies. The backlight was bright, the characters on the screen were readable and clear, and the audio was booming in at half volume with the built-in speaker.
Due to my need to finance other radio interests, I sold and shipped the 780 (packed very well) to a buyer in Arkansas. After unpacking and inspection, buyer fired it up but something was damaged or loosened up during shipping because buyer reported the backlight was out, characters were very faint, and audio was weak and distorted. I had the buyer ship it back to me. The pack (medium flat rate priority box) had taken quite a hit in a corner on the trip to Arkansas but the packing absorbed some of the shock and kept any visible damage from occurring to the 780.
After my visual inspection of the exterior, I plugged it in. Unfortunately, the buyer’s report was accurate in nearly all respects. Specifically, when turning the unit on, the backlight flashes (medium intensity) for a second and goes dark. Characters on the display were not readable (although they were there). I was able to receive my local weather station but the audio level is much lower than noted above (with vol control at max) and there is moderate distortion in the audio.
In looking in the RR archives, I found posts* with some fixes for the dim display, distorted or no audio, and no backlight. (*3057035, 360267, and 239745)
I took the covers off the unit. Everything inside the unit looks like new. Nothing appears loose or damaged. I pulled the two ribbon cables to the display board and cleaned both ends on each cable with Pro Gold and reseated them. Fired up the 780...no change.
Next step is to remove the front plastic cover to get a look at the front of the display board and find the physical locations of the resistor, capacitor and zener discussed in the referenced posts...and to check the voltages on the various pins. Since all was well prior to the apparent rough ride, it seems the problems would be generated from something damaged by the shocks during shipping as opposed to a component failure (especially a resistor, cap or zener).
In order to separate the display board from the front plastic panel, I see 4 Philips head screws that pass through the PCB with threads headed towards the front panel. I have already removed the nuts holding the volume/squelch and VFO controls so the front panel assy is loose. Anything else to remove before the front panel will come off?
Is there a service manual on the web that would show voltages on the various connector pins?
Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Chris W7JPG

dfw1193

Reseat all the ribbon cables especially the ones going to the front display, when I had a lcd issue and a volume issue reseating the cables corrected all my issues. If all else fails file a claim with the post office for damages, they are gorillas and like to play football with packages, most of my packages even though shipped close travel through numerous states before getting back to the state they were shipped and where I live which is the same state!

W7JPG

Appreciate the response. I probably shouldn't have made my message as long as it was. I stated that I cleaned and reseated the ribbon cables and also pulled and reseated the four pin and 8 (?) pin connectors.
Not quite ready to give up on this set. Here is a link to a brief video I made after getting it back. BC780XLT as returned.MOV
Please note the display as the unit is powered up. There is a very brief flash of the backlight followed by a strange audio tone that decays immediately following the flash. Also note that the display is showing the scanner info for the weather station. I honestly missed that when looking directly at the display area but the video shows all the info.
Perhaps this video will provide some added info that will trigger someone's memory of other suspect components. Still hoping someone will answer my questions regarding separating the front panel from the display board and a possible voltage chart that could be used for troubleshooting.
Thanks.

Avguy1

Premium Subscriber
One thing I would do is take a close look at the circuit boards for any cracked solder joints. Since it took a big bump while on it's journey, it very likely may have cracked some solder joints.

Ubbe

The issues you see are the exact ones to be expected if the power supply doesn't work properly and can't give enough power.
Do you have another one 12v-15v with at least 0,8A?

From the Volume/SQ VFO rotarys goes a 8 pin cable and the middle pins 4-5 are the 12v power that the on/off switch closes in the volume control.

/Ubbe

W7JPG

Many thanks to Avguy1 and Ubbe for your suggestions. Will get it out and check board carefully and measure the voltages... yes, have 12V supply.

Ubbe, when I look at unit from the front, then the 8 pin cable, which pin is #1?

Thanks again, Chris

Ubbe

I don't know which one are #1 as the ones at each end of the connector are ground. But 4-5 are the two in the middle independent of from which end you start to count.

/Ubbe

W7JPG

Thanks Ubbe, Sorry for my delay in response. Will get back to the unit in a few days. Sure would be nice to have a full schematic.

Avguy1

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Ubbe, Sorry for my delay in response. Will get back to the unit in a few days. Sure would be nice to have a full schematic.

I have a pdf of the schematics but when I tried to post it here for you I got a server error message from the forum page. I see Ubbe was able to post a pdf though!?

Avguy1

Premium Subscriber
Here is the PDF I tried to post for you yesterday. It has more pages to it than the one that Ubbe shared.

Attachments

• 99141675-Bearcat-BC780XLT-Schematic.pdf
    761.6 KB · Views: 19

W7JPG

First, thank you Ubbe and Avguy1! Got both PDF's downloaded and checked them out. The schematics are the same version. The extra pages in Avguy1's post were very helpful, especially the block diagram.
Looks like I have some work to do. Been distracted for the last week dealing with domestic issues (chores, dog, rainy wx, snow, etc.) but now have the schematic and block diagram to help me try to figure out whats going on with my 780.
Once again, thank you both very much. Will be posting again when I have something to report...hopefully positive.

Avguy1

Premium Subscriber
First, thank you Ubbe and Avguy1! Got both PDF's downloaded and checked them out. The schematics are the same version. The extra pages in Avguy1's post were very helpful, especially the block diagram.
Looks like I have some work to do. Been distracted for the last week dealing with domestic issues (chores, dog, rainy wx, snow, etc.) but now have the schematic and block diagram to help me try to figure out whats going on with my 780.
Once again, thank you both very much. Will be posting again when I have something to report...hopefully positive.

W7JPG..Just wondering if you have had any luck with your scanner using the info that Ubbe and I supplied? Have not heard anything from you in quite a while so wanted to check in with you.

dfw1193

Did you happen to check to see if it has the same serial number as the one you shipped to him, just something you might verify also. I would put in a claim with the post office and at least collect the $50 insurance if you did not have added insurance on it.

W7JPG

Avguy1 - Sorry for the delay in responding. I received a message some time ago from the moderators kicking me off the forum (?!) So I just haven't been back. Didn't take the time to ask about it since I have been so dang tied up in other matters. After getting your recent message, I reset my PW and here I am again. Anyway, my scanner has been forlornly watching and waiting from a dark place on the workbench. Last Not sure when I'll get to it....and thinking of just letting it go.
dfw1193 - Thanks for your message. It's the same unit. I did file a claim with the PO and did receive $50. Good lesson - buy insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.