No Boston PD live feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fog

Premium Subscriber
In looking through the live feeds people host, I noticed that Boston PD was somewhat conspicuously absent. Many smaller towns have online feeds, and Boston FD and Boston EMS both have feeds. Boston PD does not.

Before I start thinking about what I'd need to be able to provide one, I wanted to see if there was a reason it wasn't offered, or if it was just a case of no one having taken the time to host one yet.

Actually, the same goes for Troops A, E, and H, which don't seem to have any feeds.

Scanner-geek

I, for one, think it would be great to have a Boston police feed. I do not know of any rule/reason preventing an online feed. There used to be a visual feed at ScanBoston which was great, but is no longer online. A Boston PD feed would be excellent. The metro state police would also be great. It's just a matter of someone committing the time and effort to maintain the feed. Whattayasay Fog??????

Scannergeek

ecps92

Have you tried ScanNewEngland ???

In looking through the live feeds people host, I noticed that Boston PD was somewhat conspicuously absent. Many smaller towns have online feeds, and Boston FD and Boston EMS both have feeds. Boston PD does not.

Before I start thinking about what I'd need to be able to provide one, I wanted to see if there was a reason it wasn't offered, or if it was just a case of no one having taken the time to host one yet.

Actually, the same goes for Troops A, E, and H, which don't seem to have any feeds.

Scanner-geek

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see a Boston Police feed on ScanNewEngland that is running. Did I miss something?

Scannergeek

p.s. I find the access to radioreference live feeds to be easier, and a Boston Police/State Police feed on there would be nice for all of the users of RR (not that ScanNewEngland isn't fine)

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Actually the best SNE can offer right now is a Boston Area feed in Teamspeak, which of course includes Boston Police. John's Scan Boston feed was essentially the same feed. I don't recall seeing any specific Boston PD feeds but it would be nice to have one if someone would volunteer. I'm too far away for reliable communications or I'd consider doing it myself. Actually, if anyone wants to run one I have an old Realistic 2020 which is a 20 channel conventional scanner that covers VHF and UHF. I'd be glad to ensure it was running properly and donate it to the cause provided it was streamed to RR and to SNE's NESF Teamspeak server.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
I really miss BFD online. What about seeing if a scanner could be set up at the museum and streamed from there? Anyone with a contact there? Its a good central location for all the city. Just an idea.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
The ScanMassachusetts feed at Justin TV includes BPD channels. Peter Sz

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
OK, but that's no different than what was spoken about earlier in the thread. The OP is looking for a dedicated Boston PD feed, which to my knowledge doesn't exist. Thanks.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
I dont see "dedicated" nor Justin TV mentioned previously in this thread. Maybe it is there, but I dont see it. At this time. Now. Then. Whatever. :) Peter Sz

Scanner-geek

I've never seen the Scanmassachusetts feed before. Pretty cool. I love a feed with alpha tags. A good find.

Scannergeek

Laxplurr06

I have been wanting to provide this feed for a while now. I just haven't got the chance to get another scanner and sound card. I have an extra HT1250 that I may be able to run for the feed as long as I can get it programmed. Now that I have seen this thread I will try a harder to get the stuff.

paul928

Not Live

The ScanMassachusetts feed at Justin TV includes BPD channels. Peter Sz

That link is just recorded .....not a "Live real time scanner" I think the op was looking for a live real time scanner, like scanboston used to have.

NYRHKY94

I was just thinking about this topic the other day while reviewing all the great live feeds for MA on the RR site. Not having a dedicated Boston PD feed is a real gap in coverage for the hobby in our area. There has to be a good volunteer out there that would be willing to put up this feed.

Maybe the rest of us can help if that volunteer steps up and needs some assistance?

fog

Premium Subscriber
I've thought about doing it, though I don't have solid coverage through all of Boston. My concern is around liability... I can't find it, but seem to recall that the dissemination of information from a scanner is illegal, so despite it being common practice and, in my opinion, a healthy practice, I'm not feeling super-eager to try it. Plus, in this day and age, I'm slightly paranoid about my liability if, say, terrorists or hardened criminals use the feed. (Not that I really think they're smart enough...)

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to secure a location to put up a feed (I have two possible locations, just gotta figure out which one is the better receive site) and have to reformat a computer, but I am working on getting a BPD feed up. I was actually thinking about getting 4 FT-8800"s and setting them up in a computer case to give channels 1-6, Special Ops and have one scanning everything, but the $$ involved would be a bit much.

PeterGV

K1PGV
Here's one alternative

I have a *private* feed for Boston that I run and use for ScannerCast testing and my own personal use. It's sourced by a BCT-15 running ScannerCast (and includes tags, of course) and runs at 24Kbps. It typically runs 24x7 for weeks at a time, but sometimes it doesn't. Like I said, it's my own, private, feed and I stop and start it when testing ScannerCast or whatever.

It scans:
- BPD, all districts plus channel 1, 7, and 9
- BFD Dispatch
- H&H dispatch
- MetroFire
- BAPERN

The URL for access is:

http://audio.scannercast.com:8363/boston

Interested folks are welcome to connect and listen, subject to the understanding that it may or may not be available, working, or be able to accommodate large numbers of listeners.

Peter
K1PGV

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.