No Clue What Im Doing,Philly FBI-ATF-DEA

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok,
so ive been at this scanning stuff now for roughly a year.
Learning about analog,digital,conventional,trunked,p25,edacs...Arggggg...

So now ive got a basic understanding of the technology,Very basic,,lol..

heres my dilemma,,

Philly houses one of the bigger FBI offices, so getting to hear some traffic should be easy..ive spent hours reading and re-reading the wiki and ive even prog'd like every freq i found,,and Nada!

im so lost,i program the freq's i can find,and try to set them up to work,and i monitor,but all i hear is
static(it may be encrypted traffic)..

im desperate,well.. not really,,just eager to get it working!Especially since there was a bank
hold up and i could clearly hear city PD dispatch reference the FBI repeatedly,,,can you say frustrating?

anyone want to maybe throw me a file i can use as a reference,so i can see what im doing wrong,,im using win500,but also win96 too..or even an excel sheet to see the set up.

Ive got PAYPAL!i know nuttin in life comes for free,,,any help would be great!

SkipSanders

Silent Key
One possible list found elsewhere:

173.9375 R - FBI (Philadelphia) - PL 167.9 Hz
173.9125 R - FBI (Philadelphia) - PL 167.9 Hz and P25 Digital
173.7125 R - FBI (Philadelphia) - PL 167.9 Hz
172.4500 R - FBI (Philadelphia) - PL 167.9 Hz
168.7250 R - FBI (Philadelphia (North Repeater (Linked to South Repeater)) - PL 167.9 Hz
168.4250 R - FBI (Philadelphia (South Repeater (Linked to North Repeater)) - PL 167.9 Hz

However, it's around 3 years old. It's quite likely that 99% or more of any area's FBI traffic is encrypted, these days. If you hear what sounds like 'open squelch noise', followed by a short tone at the end of the transmission, that's DES encryption, the older encryption used before they switched to P25 digital and its associated different encryption methods.

If you hear what sounds like 'open squelch noise', followed by a short tone at the end of the transmission, that's DES encryption,

Hmm,,that sounds like one of the tx's im catching,,

ive also caught what almost sounds like a paging channel,,humans keying up and telling someone to call 12345,
or somthing to that effect,,

thanks for throwin me a bone,,,now i just gotta blast through work so i can get them pgm'd in!..

W2SJW

Database Admin
If you hear what sounds like 'open squelch noise', followed by a short tone at the end of the transmission, that's DES encryption,

Hmm,,that sounds like one of the tx's im catching,,

That's DVP-XL, to be specific. Never heard it ever used on anything other than analog transmissions. DES-OFB & AES are used on P25 channels.

Forthhoreseman, Listen to this sound byte from my website - is this what you are hearing?

If you come across encrypted P25 traffic on an analog-only receiver, there is no way to tell that there is encryption being used by the sound. They both sound like this.

Last edited:
I am using a digi Radio,
the first sample,i just heard that the other day,
there was some open traffic on PD encrypted channel
it was open,then the beep followed by long static,,
i def. heard the beeps though,,
was kind of excited that i caught the transition,,then
immediately saddened by the loss of the traffic,,
still was pretty cool though!

Status
Not open for further replies.