BC246T: No Com Port? Win 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithmj

Saint Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida
Bearcat BC246T, original install cable, HP Pavilion Laptop, 10 years old, Win 10.
I have been out of scanning since they went digital and pulled out my scanner yesterday since I am retired now, connected it to the same computer that I used to use to program the BC246T.
The ARC246 shows there are no com ports on my computer anymore, just USB ports. All of my drivers are up to date. My program cable connects to the USB port not the Serial port.
I have done a search about this problem but none of the results have worked, some have said a new program cable might fix the problem how can that help if there are no com ports? I have been searching since about 9:00 am and didn't want to keep searching to fix this if there is no fix.
I was wondering how others have solved this? I just want to be able to change the settings without doing in manually. I know the scanner is old
Thanks for any info.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Bearcat BC246T, original install cable, HP Pavilion Laptop, 10 years old, Win 10.
I have been out of scanning since they went digital and pulled out my scanner yesterday since I am retired now, connected it to the same computer that I used to use to program the BC246T.
The ARC246 shows there are no com ports on my computer anymore, just USB ports. All of my drivers are up to date. My program cable connects to the USB port not the Serial port.
I have done a search about this problem but none of the results have worked, some have said a new program cable might fix the problem how can that help if there are no com ports? I have been searching since about 9:00 am and didn't want to keep searching to fix this if there is no fix.
I was wondering how others have solved this? I just want to be able to change the settings without doing in manually. I know the scanner is old
Thanks for any info.
-
What cable are you using? If you are using the Uniden USB-1 cable, this is probably the problem:

From Scanner Master:
Important Windows 8 and 10 Information
The current Prolific Driver, as delivered through their web site and through Windows Update for Windows 8 and 10, will not work with older USB-1 cables that use the PL2303HXA chipset. To use these drivers you must have a current USB-1 cable that uses the PL2303HXD chipset. If your cable was bought before 2013 you need to buy a new cable.

Last edited:

dimab

check out this article on using an older driver in Win10 for the older cables. This worked for me

keithmj

check out this article on using an older driver in Win10 for the older cables. This worked for me

Thanks, I tried to do this but it doesn't show up in the Device Manager anywhere, even if showing hidden files. I'll just get me another cable and see what happens. Happy Scanning.

laidback

RailFanning is a way of Life
Premium Subscriber
If your cable is installed in a USB port and the correct driver is installed COM ports will open in Device Manager. Else no or wrong driver, bad or damaged cable. 1st proper driver installed.

a417

Many others have already posted accurately about it, I just want to help you with the why not the what. Feel free to skip past this if you want.

All of my drivers are up to date. My program cable connects to the USB port not the Serial port.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
yeah, this is precisely your problem. The new drivers from windows 10 deprecate the old hardware and in this case the new drivers actually disable the hardware functionality you are looking for. They want you to buy their new hardware with the new hotness, not limp along with a 2 decade old solution.

I have done a search about this problem but none of the results have worked, some have said a new program cable might fix the problem how can that help if there are no com ports?
Your old cable & old driver provide the COM port at the hardware level. Rolling back the driver to an older version restores this functionality. The USB cable has a chip in it which enumerates a COM port for your computer to use. This is a well known issue, it's sometimes poorly understood and can be a ***** to deal with for the uninitiated.

this is all moot if it's not one of the affected USB/Serial Prolific chips, and the cable is physically damaged like @laidback alluded to in his post.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I tried to do this but it doesn't show up in the Device Manager anywhere, even if showing hidden files. I'll just get me another cable and see what happens. Happy Scanning.
Try these instructions:

No Luck. I guess it will be easier to order a PCIe card and add a RS232 port. LoL. I have that cable. I am currently using the MB header for one for the BCT8. But thanks for the help in trying.

keithmj

I have installed the drivers but they don't show up in the Device Manager, I just hate to spend another $40.00 to get a cable for such an old scanner, but who knows, the cable is probably the answer to getting it working. I can't use that cable you show unless I buy an adapter since I have an Laptop. Later.

wtp

you can check, but it always seems to be out of stock.
maybe look around.
sold out.

freqseeker

I have installed the drivers but they don't show up in the Device Manager, I just hate to spend another $40.00 to get a cable for such an old scanner, but who knows, the cable is probably the answer to getting it working. I can't use that cable you show unless I buy an adapter since I have an Laptop. Later.
The cable shown plugs into USB port and replicates a DB9 serial port so you can use the original programming cable. I use a similar cable with the same radio and it works fine.

RFI-EMI-GUY

There was a writeup in QST magazine this month about a WIN10 "feature" where the Com port enumeration gets exhausted and you have to go into some deep administration mode to get to a device manager and reset the COM ports. I would post it here but I have been ill and can barely type. Maybe some IT experts can point to a shortcut. It was a very lengthy article with graphics.

laidback

Premium Subscriber
There will be no comm ports in 'Device Manager' in WIN 10 unless a working USB cable that is made to replicate a serial connection is present.
See atached picture. The chip "fools" the computer to find a "Serial port" .
Drivers do not show in "Device Manager" the Driver is software that is installed in the "system32" or "SysWOW64" Folder.
"Device Manager" is a physical device.

Attachments

• ftdi.jpg
    ftdi.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 4

RFI-EMI-GUY

well whatever. The article claims that a comm port is assigned to a device and is retained in memory. That the numbers of comm ports can become exhausted. I think it said the device manager is where these have to be reset and only under two layers of administrator levels. Easy enough to check. If you have two serial to USB cable and plug them in. One shows COM-8 and the other COM-9. Unplug them and install them in reverse order. If they have the same numbers as before the association is retained in OS somehow. then the question is how to reset them.

laidback

Premium Subscriber
well whatever. The article claims that a comm port is assigned to a device and is retained in memory. That the numbers of comm ports can become exhausted. I think it said the device manager is where these have to be reset and only under two layers of administrator levels.
well whatever, yes com ports can be reset that said, things must be done in the "registry" not suggested be done by weak of heart. If correct the article is about a cable and drivers.

RFI-EMI-GUY

over 10 years as the OP has, a hammy could plug in dozens of cables requiring drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.