No CSP 6A on HP1

Status
Not open for further replies.

4436time

In Gov't We Trust
Premium Subscriber
The 197 stops on CSP 6A (TG2381), but the HP1 doesn't. I've heard identical transmissions three times on both scanners, but each were displaying different troops - 2B(HP1) and 3A(197), 3A(HP1) and 1D(197), 6D(HP1) and 6A(197).

I've reviewed the TG's on both and they appear to be fine. TG2381 shows up in the HP1's discovery log on both Riley and Lookout, so the scanner sees it. I've created a new CSP only Fave directly from the HPDB, and it stops on every dispatch channel within reach, but this one. I've also reseated the memory card and replaced the batteries, all with the same results. Any ideas?

Edit: Just caught 6A TAC (TG2383) on the HP1 a few minutes ago, but no 6A Disp....

Another: Same transmission just came across as 6D disp on the HP1 and 6A disp on the 197, both on Riley (853.91250).

Last edited:

nathancarlson

I have a harder time getting the TAC TGs then the dispatch TGs, especially when I limit the control channels I am using. They probably patched 6A to another tg so thats why its not coming up. Have you tried the neighboring counties? I often hear 6A cars on the 6C tg and my pro-106 indicates its a patch.

Thats my best suggestion. Maybe just activate the neighboring troops and hopefully you will find them. Or try more control channels.

4436time

In Gov't We Trust
Premium Subscriber
Well, the current CSP Fave includes all CC's for Riley, Lookout, and Squaw.

HOWEVER, as I was reading your reply I looked up at the 197 just in time to see 6A disp with "ptch" flashing in the upper righthand corner, something I hadn't noticed before. So you are correct! But where to go from here?

nathancarlson

I am honestly not sure exactly how the patches work, so I am going to do a little research. Its strange that I will be listening to one talkgroup, but see "patch" on the radio and hear units from another troop. So I don't know if you have to be tuned to one particular talkgroup when several are patched together or if you should be able to hear it on any of them since they are patched. I know I upgraded the firmware and software a while back so it could "follow patches" but I wasn't clear on what that meant. So until someone else chimes in, you could monitor the talk groups for the other near by troops like 6C, 1C, 6D and see if you hear 6A traffic on those while they are patched. I don't know which ones are patched together when they do consolidate the channels and I think I saw a similar thread about it not too long ago. It seems like I have missed out on a lot of 6C traffic lately, or maybe its just been quiet.

I have a scan list that has all the area TGs for CSP so I can easily lock them out or have them on the ready if I want. I think you can quickly select which talkgroups you want with the home patrol, right? Its kind of a crapshoot so maybe you could try the other troops to see if you get what you are looking for. I kind of wish I could just listen to 6C and NOT 6A but sometimes I don't have a choice. I don't know if they have a program like pro96com for the home patrol or not, or if you are even in a position to hook your scanner up to a computer (thats one good thing about the handheld) but I use it with my 106 and it tells whats patched so that helps a little.

Sorry I couldn't help you more I don't really monitor 6A much unless I am in Jeffco but I hope I gave you some ideas or raised more questions to get you started. My issue with not hearing much on TAC had to do with not having enough control channels in, so its hard to balance between having what I need and overloading it (especially since I am mobile a lot of the time) and I am constantly changing my scanner around to improve it. It keeps it fun and knowing this scanner isn't perfect yet makes it less tempting to buy a new one with more features, since I can still work on this one.

tbiggums

Listening to a specific CSP troop with any Uniden scanner is usually a challenge. Most of their talkgroups are patched to some others most of the time. The Uniden scanners don't support patch following like the newer RS/GRE units do with the latest firmware. The older PRO-96/2096 don't support patch following, either.

Troop 6A is usually patched to 6B and 6D, but others are included in the mix sometimes--especially late at night/early morning.

With a scanner that doesn't support patch following, you pretty much have to listen to all the CSP talkgroups that your desired troop TG might be patched to. So for 6A, I'd definitely have the 6B and 6D talkgroups programmed and unlocked, and even the rest of the troops that are dispatched by their Denver dispatch center would be necessary if you want to be sure to find them every time. You just have to listen to all of them and when you hear a 6A unit on one talkgroup, you can temporarily lock out the rest of the CSP dispatch talkgroups. Of course the patch groups can change at any time, so if you stop hearing the troop you want, you have to unlock them all again and find where they went.

The CSP TAC talkgroups are rarely patched to anything, so you'll pretty much always hear them on the TG's you'd expect to hear them on.

Even other agencies use patches on the state system. Often when they dispatch a high priority call, they'll patch a few of their talkgroups together. So if your Uniden scanner doesn't have all of the talkgroups that they patch to, you might miss it.

The Uniden scanners do support patch following on EDACS, and did long before the RS/GRE ones ever did, but you're out of luck for P25 patches.

4436time

In Gov't We Trust
Premium Subscriber
I am honestly not sure exactly how the patches work, so I am going to do a little research. Its strange that I will be listening to one talkgroup, but see "patch" on the radio and hear units from another troop. So I don't know if you have to be tuned to one particular talkgroup when several are patched together or if you should be able to hear it on any of them since they are patched. I know I upgraded the firmware and software a while back so it could "follow patches" but I wasn't clear on what that meant. So until someone else chimes in, you could monitor the talk groups for the other near by troops like 6C, 1C, 6D and see if you hear 6A traffic on those while they are patched. I don't know which ones are patched together when they do consolidate the channels and I think I saw a similar thread about it not too long ago. It seems like I have missed out on a lot of 6C traffic lately, or maybe its just been quiet.

I have a scan list that has all the area TGs for CSP so I can easily lock them out or have them on the ready if I want. I think you can quickly select which talkgroups you want with the home patrol, right? Its kind of a crapshoot so maybe you could try the other troops to see if you get what you are looking for. I kind of wish I could just listen to 6C and NOT 6A but sometimes I don't have a choice. I don't know if they have a program like pro96com for the home patrol or not, or if you are even in a position to hook your scanner up to a computer (thats one good thing about the handheld) but I use it with my 106 and it tells whats patched so that helps a little.

Sorry I couldn't help you more I don't really monitor 6A much unless I am in Jeffco but I hope I gave you some ideas or raised more questions to get you started. My issue with not hearing much on TAC had to do with not having enough control channels in, so its hard to balance between having what I need and overloading it (especially since I am mobile a lot of the time) and I am constantly changing my scanner around to improve it. It keeps it fun and knowing this scanner isn't perfect yet makes it less tempting to buy a new one with more features, since I can still work on this one.

No problem, I appreciate the reply. Not sure how the patching works either, but I intend to research it as well. I should've used Pro96com and the HP1's activity logging feature before posting, but it never occurred to me. Guess I don't use them (enough) and never think about it. Glad you mentioned it.

As it turns out, Pro96com incidates that both TG2381/3 are patched to TG2401, which explains it. Still trying to decipher the HP1's log as it isn't as intuitive.

Otherwise, I seem to be hearing everything fine, just not on the intended TG's. Will have to remember to use the utilities next time I see a problem, it might save folks a lot of typing. :)

Listening to a specific CSP troop with any Uniden scanner is usually a challenge. Most of their talkgroups are patched to some others most of the time. The Uniden scanners don't support patch following like the newer RS/GRE units do with the latest firmware. The older PRO-96/2096 don't support patch following, either.

Troop 6A is usually patched to 6B and 6D, but others are included in the mix sometimes--especially late at night/early morning.

With a scanner that doesn't support patch following, you pretty much have to listen to all the CSP talkgroups that your desired troop TG might be patched to. So for 6A, I'd definitely have the 6B and 6D talkgroups programmed and unlocked, and even the rest of the troops that are dispatched by their Denver dispatch center would be necessary if you want to be sure to find them every time. You just have to listen to all of them and when you hear a 6A unit on one talkgroup, you can temporarily lock out the rest of the CSP dispatch talkgroups. Of course the patch groups can change at any time, so if you stop hearing the troop you want, you have to unlock them all again and find where they went.

The CSP TAC talkgroups are rarely patched to anything, so you'll pretty much always hear them on the TG's you'd expect to hear them on.

Even other agencies use patches on the state system. Often when they dispatch a high priority call, they'll patch a few of their talkgroups together. So if your Uniden scanner doesn't have all of the talkgroups that they patch to, you might miss it.

The Uniden scanners do support patch following on EDACS, and did long before the RS/GRE ones ever did, but you're out of luck for P25 patches.

TBG, based on this, it makes more sense to use the 197 strictly for CSP troops. But since I scan the same stuff on both, I think I'll leave the HP1 as is making the most of it, which is doable since I watch both and have the ability to compare when they land on CSP troops. It would be nice if things just worked. :)

All good info, guys. Thanks!

Last edited:

rfburns

6A Tac

Don't forget that 6A Tac is still mostly on VHF unless talking with a supervisor or someone further away. CSP 6A & B Tac 155.505 CTCSS 136.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.