"No data from scanner"

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamhere300

Attempting to upgrade firmware on a GRE PSR-600 scanner. Boot in radio is 1.0, so I am using the 1.0 firmware loader tool.

Windows XP. Latest drivers for the cable.

When I go to use the uploader, I put the scanner into the proper state by turning it on while holding down the PGM key, and the screen with firmware version is displayed, with the comment waiting on the PC/IF.

I hit "test" on the upload tool with the proper com-port enabled, verified through the control panel.

It sits there for a short period, a couple of seconds, then displays "No data from scanner" and for me to retry starting at step 1.

A little more background. Using the Butel ARC500 program I can push programming to the scanner, but NOT get programming from the scanner. The scanner itself will show that it is uploading, but the dialog box in the software goes through no change, and you have to finally hit stop and x the box out. No data will be in the software then.

I can control the scanner using the ARC500 program, menu presses for scan, manual, etc work. I don't know what I should see back from the scanner to the program while this goes on however.

Finally, I use this computer to program and read my PRO-668 scanner, and I may have to click on the read from computer button repeatedly before it will finally read from the scanner, but then it does.

I have lowered the baud rate of the port all the way down to 110 in the computer, as well as setting the FIFO to slow. And fast. And 9600.

I am presently considering using a street sweeper on the scanner. Can anyone help? With the scanner, not the street sweeper, I got that down to a science.

Thank you

mikey60

If you're using the RadioShack cable, do not use the short adapter that comes with it for the PSR-600. I don't know if this is the issue, but something to keep in mind.

Mike

trp2525

To eliminate the programming cable as the possible cause of your problem, I would try another cable that is known to be working properly for 2-way communication between the computer and the scanner. Perhaps you could borrow one from a fellow scanner enthusiast to conduct your test(s).

BTW are you using a genuine GRE, genuine Radio Shack (20-047 or 20-546), genuine Whistler or an aftermarket programming cable?

drayd48

Make sure the port and baud rate is correct for the scanner. Just try guessing and testing

iamhere300

To eliminate the programming cable as the possible cause of your problem, I would try another cable that is known to be working properly for 2-way communication between the computer and the scanner. Perhaps you could borrow one from a fellow scanner enthusiast to conduct your test(s).

BTW are you using a genuine GRE, genuine Radio Shack (20-047 or 20-546), genuine Whistler or an aftermarket programming cable?

Aftermarket. Which one would you suggest?

trp2525

Aftermarket. Which one would you suggest?

In a perfect world all of the cables (genuine OEM brand or aftermarket) should all work equally well. I have read some anecdotal reports, however, of people having problems with SOME aftermarket cables. Like with everything else these days there are possibly some cheap/inferior aftermarket cables floating around that do not adhere to the performance standards of the original branded cables.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Radio Shack 20-546 cable (https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-usb-pc-scanner-programming-cable) but it is only available in Radio Shack stores if you can find it. Another option is to buy the programming cable from Whistler (https://whistlergroup.com/collectio...products/pc-interface-cable-for-ws1040-ws1065). While you don't need it for your PSR-600, the Whistler cable DOES NOT include the additional stereo-to-mono adapter cable like the Radio Shack cable includes (see pictures below). That adapter cable is only needed for use with some older model scanners that don't use a stereo jack/plug.

Attachments

• 02000546_02.jpg
    02000546_02.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 200
  • whistler-pc-if-cable.jpg
    whistler-pc-if-cable.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

iamhere300

Well, I looked at the pictures, and thought to my self, Self, I have one of those. So I went looking. Understand, I have probably 50 or more programming cables from my days in Two Way. I was looking, and I picked up an clear envelope, with an instruction sheet clearly marked "radio shack scanners". Hooked it up, installed some FTDI drivers, and it took off like a fat kid with cake.

But I still have one of the RS brand cables like shown above - somewhere.

Thanks for the help! Hang around I am sure I will have more questions

Status
Not open for further replies.