No DMR Privat calls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDito

Hi group.
Do any one have a idea to how come I can't make a Privat call over my local DMR+ repeater but when both stations is on my pi-star Hotspot it works flawlessly?
Both are anytone at-d878uv
Best regards from Denmark

RadioDito

I don’t know if this is the answer you want to hear, but locally the repeater owners do not allow private calls on their repeaters. I’d confirm with the repeater owner that it’s allowed.
I had the suspicion about that could be the case.
Thanks, I'll invistigate.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The same as any talkgroup, actually. The only difference is that the slot is tied up and nobody will know why, unless their radio is set to promiscuous monitoring.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The same as any talkgroup, actually. The only difference is that the slot is tied up and nobody will know why, unless their radio is set to promiscuous monitoring.
They'll get a busy tone just like they would if the slot was active with another groups traffic. Unless you have an RX group list set or are scanning you wouldn't know why the you are busing out without promiscuous mode to begin with. That's one of the main flaws with amateur DMR.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Unless you have an RX group list set or are scanning you wouldn't know why the you are busing out without promiscuous mode to begin with. That's one of the main flaws with amateur DMR.
How is that any different than P25? A busy tone doesn't give you any details re who is using channel resources, it just tells you they aren't available. And that's the same for both P25 and DMR.

N4KVE

Around here, the DMR repeaters have only one TG per TS. So if a user doesn’t hear anyone talking, the TS is available for use. No busy signals. Same with P25. And while the repeater is basically open to anyone, any new user must speak to the repeater owner to get the TG’s, etc. He is then told there will be no PC’s, & no encryption. He’s also told if he sells his radio to someone not in the group, he must blank the radio. This is a 7 repeater system linking most of Florida.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
I’m not sure about European rules on encryption. I believe in some areas it can be used but here in the US it is technically illegal but occasionally happens.

In general if it is something you don’t want everyone else to hear use your phone. As first responder and as a general rule of thumb if something is so important that you wouldn’t want others to know except for the intended recipient than just call them.

Of course if your intended recipient is within range for simplex DMR pick a weird frequency and you’ve already eliminated the majority of people who might listen to you. If encryption is legal there and simplex is possible you’re probably in good shape.

Although the purpose of ham is to include others so that is a factor.

There is always cups and strings and numbers stations for all else. Turn to page 23, university students. We hammies can use FLDIGI - about as close to an obscured message as you can get.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
How is that any different than P25? A busy tone doesn't give you any details re who is using channel resources, it just tells you they aren't available. And that's the same for both P25 and DMR.

I never said it was any different. I said it was one of the downsides to Amateur DMR, not one of the reasons why Amateur P25 is better.

Professionally speaking, it's seemingly rare to see talk group use in conventional P25 and instead tend to see multiple access driven by changing the NAC. Part of that is likely due to Motorola commanding an "upgrade" on the Quantar to get to support multiple NAC (more money in their pocket) but also conventional P25 was really pushed as similar to setup compared to analog and the NAC was equivalent CTCSS (and there were even suggested CTCSS<->NAC tables) so controlling access with the NAC makes a lot more sense than talk groups for conventional setups. It also didn't help that many vendors buried conventional talk group settings in their radios.

kinglou0

Encryption is never allowed ham radio repeaters in the USA.
And neither is exceeding the speed limit, but both are done every day.

Every single day.

Neither is an issue when done responsibly.

You haven’t experienced radio bliss until you find yourself at a hamfest and you fire up your choice of encryption algorithm. Keeps the goobers at a distance. I’m all for fellowship but I’ll pass on someone’s commentary concerning the cheeseburger at the snackshack.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Every single day.

Neither is an issue when done responsibly.

You haven’t experienced radio bliss until you find yourself at a hamfest and you fire up your choice of encryption algorithm. Keeps the goobers at a distance. I’m all for fellowship but I’ll pass on someone’s commentary concerning the cheeseburger at the snackshack.
Honestly the FCC has much bigger fish to fry. I guess as long as you aren’t using encryption on a radio to coordinate efforts at a protest they could probably care less. Not to mention simplex on low power it would be kind of difficult to get sniffed out of all the radio transmissions. I’m not saying they won’t enforce the rule - they do - it just isn’t a major priority until there is a reason to suspect a crime is being committed on top of a crime.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Honestly the FCC has much bigger fish to fry. I guess as long as you aren’t using encryption on a radio to coordinate efforts at a protest they could probably care less. Not to mention simplex on low power it would be kind of difficult to get sniffed out of all the radio transmissions. I’m not saying they won’t enforce the rule - they do - it just isn’t a major priority until there is a reason to suspect a crime is being committed on top of a crime.
My general understanding is the FCC has a pretty small number of people assigned to ANY type of enforcement for the Amateur radio servcies. HOWEVER, if I was running Encryption on a lot of ham frequencies/repeaters, I'd be much more worried about ARRL volunteers setting up impromptu surveillance vans for weeks at a time in my area...

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
My general understanding is the FCC has a pretty small number of people assigned to ANY type of enforcement for the Amateur radio servcies. HOWEVER, if I was running Encryption on a lot of ham frequencies/repeaters, I'd be much more worried about ARRL volunteers setting up impromptu surveillance vans for weeks at a time in my area...
My god, I didn’t realize there was more Natedawgs in this world other than myself and the rapper. Greetings!

So you go to a hamfest, minding your own business, maybe make a private DMR call and flip the switch to that cool kid encrypted channel you added just before leaving the house in a couple of radios you’re sharing with friends. You think everything is fine but that Motorola encrypted talk permit tone blows your cover as you tell your good friend about the nice looking Icom sells rep. Yep, life is good.

A beat up 90’s model van decked out with ARRL stickers and flashing amber lights pulls into the parking lot and this guy gets out. He stumbles into the building and greets you at the table filled with exotic Begali cw keys. His jacket flaps in the breeze as he leans over with a smug look and states to you, “I too like to live dangerously with encryption and private calls”. He further inquires, “I’ve been looking for a KVL3000; you haven’t seen one around have you?” You quickly bash him with your Motorola Astro Saber and escape into another American radio nowhere night.

I’ve had my fun now.

Attachments

• ECC7F47E-8AAA-4E43-93C5-374AF1333FD0.jpeg
    ECC7F47E-8AAA-4E43-93C5-374AF1333FD0.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 28
  • C48F95C8-46FC-4F07-A8B0-0E8B64B75C24.jpeg
    C48F95C8-46FC-4F07-A8B0-0E8B64B75C24.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 23

900mhz

Let me guess...that guy that pulls in is decked out in a "Members Only" jacket.

Status
Not open for further replies.