• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

No-drill mounting a VHF on a '04 Grand Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadetklapp

My '04 Grand Cherokee has both side impact airbags as well as a sunroof. I went ahead and took the headliner down as far as I could and still couldn't get up into where I needed to be for an NMO mount antenna in the roof. I'm concerned about hitting wiring harnesses for the SRS or sunroof.

That being said, I plan to just forgo the NMO mount and look at a bolt on mount that would mount to the rear hatch or something similar. I've seen adjustable mounts like this on, gag, Mini coopers, and SUVs other than Grands. Can someone point me in a direction to go for a VHF antenna mount to use with my Icom?

fineshot1

ambdrvr

Premium Subscriber
NMO mount on a '04 Grand Cherokee

Hello. I too drive a Grand Cherokee and I have 3 NMO mount antennas on the roof. Now I don't have a sunroof or SRS side airbags but I had no trouble getting to the roof to install my NMO mounts. If you are only planning on 1 antenna, just the VHF, then you should be able to place your NMO toward the rear of the vehicle, in the center for best performance. On mine I opened the rear hatch and along the top is a plastic vent trim that just pulls off. Take that trim piece off and also take off the two side trim pieces and you should be able to place your arm inside the roof cavity to access the roof. From there you can drill your NMO and just reach in and grab it. For my setup I ran my coax down the "C" post and down along the bottom of the door under the trim panel. From there I went under the carpet to the center console. Hope this helps in your situation.

Ambdrvr

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
My Setup

Ford Escape, Diamond - K412, Diamond - NR73BNMO, Kenwood D710

K412 is mounted on the left side of the hatch about half-way down from the hinge. Cable exits at the bottom of the hatch window between the glass and the weather seal. Nothing special done at that exit point and no water problems. Cable is very thin and points down hill. Cable is about 13 foot that allows D710 to sit under the drivers seat and to create a service loop at the hatch to allow the hatch to be opened.

Antenna location and cable length is a compromise setup, but allows me to park in the garage without the antenna tip hitting the door and the main radio unit is out of sight.

There is some distortion in the antenna pattern noted on receive when making clover-leaf type entrance or exit on the freeway, but nothing serious.

Installation is over a year old with no mechanical or antenna issue.

That being said, I plan to just forgo the NMO mount and look at a bolt on mount that would mount to the rear hatch or something similar. I've seen adjustable mounts like this on, gag, Mini coopers, and SUVs other than Grands. Can someone point me in a direction to go for a VHF antenna mount to use with my Icom?

Status
Not open for further replies.