No firmware updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldRabbit

And the TRX series are absolutely awesome on DMR and NXDN. Run circles around Unidens. But Unidens have the lock on P25 / Simulcast and so forth.

I a considering a mobile/handheld scanner as a supplement to my home SDS200.

I need analog + DMR - no need for simucast - do not think it is used here.
- Would love to have dPMR as well.

Do you belive the Whistler TRX-1 is a good alternative - will it decode DMR with unknown TG/CC/timeslot as well as an Uniden ?

Regards

Reactions: RRR

Ubbe

Do you belive the Whistler TRX-1 is a good alternative - will it decode DMR with unknown TG/CC/timeslot as well as an Uniden ?
When comparing my TRX-2 and BCD536 the TRX decodes DMR with much better performance. Uniden have some problems to decode DMR without issues but Whistler have managed to get their DMR decoder bullet proof. But if you have a big DMR system using many channels and many users then the Uniden might anyhow be prefered due to its control channel trunk tracking.

/Ubbe

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
Never stated scanning is dead, but after a year and a half of ZERO FW updates, after we were getting them at least every couple of months, yea, the SDS series is just living on what they have left in them.

I honestly believe Paul was THE driving force behind the growth and perfection of the SDS series. If he were still with us, there is no telling what they would be doing now.

Sorry, SDS series weren't perfected, and left alone. The apparently only one who knew how to make them work better is out of the picture, and so there they sit. Had it been a few months, I may entertain your claim, but a year and a half, and not even a peep from Uniden about ANY future support? Come on!

Well with that said, what about us 536 users who were told we could do updates etc over WiFi, let alone be able to listen directly from anywhere using Siren. We haven't seen anything in YEARS but they released a bunch of scanners so I think we got left out in the pasture to slowly rust in the sun.... Thank goodness we have ProScan to help with the listening part but still we didn't get all we were supposed to get. The loss of Paul has hurt us end users quite I bit I think, let alone adding the whole COVID thing now.

Maybe someday we will finally get all as promised for the 536 but for now I use what is available and with getting into SDR sticks, etc. I have been able to listen and feed more than I could with the 536. I used to use the 536 for my main feed but have went to SDR and 1 program that cost nothing compared to what the 536 cost when I originally purchased it.

ludek-brno

:unsure: By purchasing fw unsupported and unfinished SDS series scanners, we will continue to support Uniden with our money. :unsure:
I would expect from the new product manager some result of his work in the form of a new fw for SDS scanners.
I do not expect his active communication here on RR.
So far, it has completely failed for me.

(n)(n)(n)

belvdr

No longer interested in living
:unsure: By purchasing fw unsupported and unfinished SDS series scanners, we will continue to support Uniden with our money. :unsure:
I would expect from the new product manager some result of his work in the form of a new fw for SDS scanners.
I do not expect his active communication here on RR.
So far, it has completely failed for me.

(n)(n)(n)
Unfortunately, for those of us in simulcast areas, we have only a few options. For me, the SDS series are the only devices that meet my requirements.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
What is not working for you?
I have a SDS200 setup on a DMR T3 simulcast system with a subscriber radio sitting side by side both scanning the same TG's and they both received the same transmissions at the same time. Now when you add other programming this changes because the subscriber radio is still only looking at its one system and talkgroups.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Well with that said, what about us 536 users who were told we could do updates etc over WiFi, let alone be able to listen directly from anywhere using Siren. We haven't seen anything in YEARS but they released a bunch of scanners so I think we got left out in the pasture to slowly rust in the sun.... Thank goodness we have ProScan to help with the listening part but still we didn't get all we were supposed to get. The loss of Paul has hurt us end users quite I bit I think, let alone adding the whole COVID thing now.

Maybe someday we will finally get all as promised for the 536 but for now I use what is available and with getting into SDR sticks, etc. I have been able to listen and feed more than I could with the 536. I used to use the 536 for my main feed but have went to SDR and 1 program that cost nothing compared to what the 536 cost when I originally purchased it.
Uniden has abandoned Siren, and pretty much all of the x36 line. It is designed on old technology that has been replaced with SDR technology. When they realized how widespread the LSM issues were, they pretty much gave up. They used it as the test bed for provoice, DMR and NXDN upgrades, but once the realization that SDR was the only way to fix the big problem, they abandoned it like a prom night dumster baby.

Yes, I'm still bitter about being lied to over what was coming that never materialized. That said, my SDS200 works exactly as advertised. It was worth every penny of the $479 I spent on it.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Uniden has abandoned Siren, and pretty much all of the x36 line. It is designed on old technology that has been replaced with SDR technology. When they realized how widespread the LSM issues were, they pretty much gave up.
If Uniden had truly abandoned its scanner lineup, it wouldn't still be making them, or updating Sentinel weekly.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
If Uniden had truly abandoned its scanner lineup, it wouldn't still be making them, or updating Sentinel weekly.
Then please tell me where are the automatically downloaded updates? Where are the full Siren capabilities they promised? They have to update Sentinel for the HP1 & 2 and the SDS radios-it is purely coincidental that the software has the capability to update the x36. If something changed tomorrow that required a re-write of the software to write either the other HPs or the SDS I highly doubt they would include the x36 in the re-write if it was going to cost them another penny.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Then please tell me where are the automatically downloaded updates? Where are the full Siren capabilities they promised? They have to update Sentinel for the HP1 & 2 and the SDS radios-it is purely coincidental that the software has the capability to update the x36.
That makes no sense. It's been a lot longer since either of the HomePatrol models were updated than the x36 models.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Then please tell me where are the automatically downloaded updates? Where are the full Siren capabilities they promised? They have to update Sentinel for the HP1 & 2 and the SDS radios-it is purely coincidental that the software has the capability to update the x36. If something changed tomorrow that required a re-write of the software to write either the other HPs or the SDS I highly doubt they would include the x36 in the re-write if it was going to cost them another penny.
Your post doesn't make much sense. There are two versions of Sentinel software: the original HomePatrol version (orange shield) for the HP-1 and HP-2, and the second BCDx36HP version (green shield) written for the x36 series, which was later adapted for the SDS series. Both versions receive weekly database updates from an RRDB pull, which happens late Sunday and is normally ready for updating on Monday morning.

Reactions: RRR

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
That makes no sense. It's been a lot longer since either of the HomePatrol models were updated than the x36 models.
And you are being purposefully obteuse. When was it last updated before the introduction of the SDS? The only reason it is updated is because of the SDS. If there was an issue with the SDS, that required a rewrite that made Sentinel incompatible with the x36 line, you would see the last compatible version available for the x36 and a new version for the SDS available. They will not put another penny into the development of anything x36 related. The updated Sentinel being x36 compatible is convenience and coincidence, not planning.

I do apologize about the HP reference, I thought I only had one version of Sentinel. It's been so long since I programmed my HP1 that I didn't even realize I had a second version on my computer.

You have yet to answer my question about when all of the features that are promised on the box will be fully available. People made purchases based on the release video as it originally appeared, the features claimed on the box and, after they weren't there, on Uniden's promises. It's been 5 years and they haven't produced, time to stop defending them on this lemon.

I'm happy with my SDS200, but I waitred until it was out and tested before I bought. On top of that I waited for a sale at a place that I had a 20% discount coupon for, so I only paid $479. The 536HP cost me more than that, but it did teach me not to be an early adopter from Uniden.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I am not sure where you got your box but everything listed on the box works.
Reading from 1 of my 536 boxes
1. APCO 25 Phase 1 and Phase 2
2. Zipcode Entry for rapid Programming
3. 802.11b/g WIFI for remote access
4. Location Based Scanning
5. Close Call RF Capture
6. Trunking and Conventional System Discovery Modes

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Right back atcha with the deliberately obtuse (not obteuse) thing. The screen layout editor and other new features added by the SDS models would have been easier to implement as a separate SDS-only sentinel version, but Uniden chose to do one version for SDS and x36. And the x36 models got several firmware tweaks after the SDS models were released.

I agree that Uniden has allowed Siren development to die, but they did publish the specs for third-party developers to take over (Is there a ProScan for Whistler?), unlike Whistler, who announced new models and then canceled Christmas.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I am not sure where you got your box but everything listed on the box works.
Reading from 1 of my 536 boxes
1. APCO 25 Phase 1 and Phase 2
2. Zipcode Entry for rapid Programming
3. 802.11b/g WIFI for remote access
4. Location Based Scanning
5. Close Call RF Capture
6. Trunking and Conventional System Discovery Modes
Read the side panels and the back

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Right back atcha with the deliberately obtuse (not obteuse) thing. The screen layout editor and other new features added by the SDS models would have been easier to implement as a separate SDS-only sentinel version, but Uniden chose to do one version for SDS and x36. And the x36 models got several firmware tweaks after the SDS models were released.

I agree that Uniden has allowed Siren development to die, but they did publish the specs for third-party developers to take over (Is there a ProScan for Whistler?), unlike Whistler, who announced new models and then canceled Christmas.
The fact is that this radio was never developed to it's fullest potential, and Uniden didn't admit that until they had strung many purchasers along to the point that they were out of their return window. I personally believe it was intentional on Uniden's part and that they knew they had a lemon but didn't want to have to absorb the refunds if they had let it out of the bag before hand. Even Paul started to ignore the hard questions about when promised features that Uniden kept kicking the can down the road on would be provided.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
The fact is that this radio was never developed to it's fullest potential, and Uniden didn't admit that until they had strung many purchasers along to the point that they were out of their return window. I personally believe it was intentional on Uniden's part and that they knew they had a lemon but didn't want to have to absorb the refunds if they had let it out of the bag before hand. Even Paul started to ignore the hard questions about when promised features that Uniden kept kicking the can down the road on would be provided.
I believe that to be a fair statement.

The screen layout editor and other new features added by the SDS models would have been easier to implement as a separate SDS-only sentinel version
Care to elaborate on that?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Writing all the conditional code to keep the model-specific stuff straight is harder and more complex than having a separate software version for each model.

Status
Not open for further replies.