No firmware updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
How come there has been no firmware updates bc125at or bcd325p2 since the passing of Paul???
So for instance had bc125at with firmware of 1.05.01 and it's not listed at all.

Swipesy

I think Firmware 1.03 (9/2012) was the last official firmware issued. 1.04 and 1.05 were manufacturing firmware that were the same as 1.03.

Reactions: RRR

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Are there any bugs that need to be addressed ? Perhaps the current firmware is working as designed.
I wonder that myself. I don’t have issues where I’m located, but I’m a small anecdote compared to all owners.

Ubbe

Analog scanners have previously had fixed firmware that could not be upgraded. There's very little in an analog scanner that can go wrong and that really needs a bug fix. Updates become available when complex digital systems where introduced and needed scanners to monitor them. Not all systems followed the guidelines and standards, maybe to lock a customer to a specific brand, and also could had brand specific functions that where not included in the standards. Then scanners needed constant updates to handle all flavours of system variations.

When Upman did his PR tours and visit retailers he also took the oppurtunity to inquire about the local systems in the area and tried to monitor them by himself to see if there where any problems. I think that such a persons devotion to the end customer are hard to find, that will use his free spare time to try and help people that buy his companies scanners. So new firmware updates will probably take a while for it to happen, if ever.

/Ubbe

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Although a very good analog scanner, it does not have the complexity of newer digital models and works as intended. I have both Uniden and Whistler (GRE) scanners, and none of the older models have had any updates. Planned obsolescence is how new items get sold and companies keep making money.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
This has been discussed so many times on this forum on many different threads. Why no firmware updates? We don't know. There was a lot of uncertainty following Paul's passing and the pandemic may just be the final nail in the coffin. I'd like to believe Uniden will emerge from all of this stronger than ever and firmware updates will be released again to improve the current product line but for now, all we can do is hope and enjoy our scanners for what they are and what they currently offer

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
How come there has been no firmware updates bc125at or bcd325p2 since the passing of Paul???
So for instance had bc125at with firmware of 1.05.01 and it's not listed at all.
People have pretty much answered your question, but I have to ask, what are you experiencing that would require a firmware update?

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
I got to wondering why the uniden firmware update didn't list what I believed was newer firmware.

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
Although a very good analog scanner, it does not have the complexity of newer digital models and works as intended. I have both Uniden and Whistler (GRE) scanners, and none of the older models have had any updates. Planned obsolescence is how new items get sold and companies keep making money.

The only reason I got this scanner,was for railroad and aviation. I do have bcd325p2,rarely is used.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I don't see how Covid-19 could affect a FW update. The SDS series were supposedly made to grow ("Evolve") but it appears their growth has reached their peak. Sure hate that, so much potential.

Last edited:

OldRabbit

Covid-19 is the universal excuse for reducing customer service. I can see that large call centers may have to reduce number of concurrent employees, but SW development should not be affected.

But another point is - why keep producing firmware updates if there are not serious issues. Firmware production and testing is expensive - requires highly skilled programmers and serious testing before release. Only way to ensure continued development of firmware and updates would be for consumers to accept a subscription model - and I imagine many would freak out at the suggestion :)

RRR

Premium Subscriber
There are many issues with SDS series that were getting "patched" throughout the initial release, up until Mr. Paul got real sick. They were getting addressed as time went on, and the issues still remain, and unfortunately stopped when the main man was no longer able to address them. (No, I'm not going to take the time to list them all here, they are readily available on even a brief cursory search) also the "upcoming features" and so forth the SDS series had coming (I wish I could say, will have) apparently aren't going to be let.

The SDS series weren't "perfected, and thus no additional FW updates needed". These units were made for upgrading and updating.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
My day job is heavy in systems and network administration. Firmware updates come nearly weekly for various devices I manage. There are a few rules to firmware updates.
1. Do you currently, right this minute, have a problem with your hardware? If no, don't touch it.
2. If yes, then does the posted firmware state that it addresses said problem? If no, don't touch it.
3. If yes, then does every other single piece of the firmware update potentially introduce new problems?
4. Perform the risk/benefit analysis, there are hours/days to plan and prepare for said new problems or bricked hardware, the ability to rollback if needed, and schedule time to thoroughly test the hardware afterward.

I could go on, but typically firmware updates aren't something you want to really wake up to every morning and rushing to the forums to see if one exists. Human analogy, it's a brain transplant to your existing skeleton, nervous and muscle structure. You want to limit those to very controlled situations, and extremely hardened testing. It. Takes. Time.

There are so many variables here with Uniden the company, the SDS product, the absolute TREAT of access that Paul allowed of himself, etc. With his unfortunate circumstances, I'm sure him and the company were putting together the post-Paul-plan. A healthy company would not put so much into one man. Paul is certainly big shoes to fill, but there are certainly other people involved, albeit a little slower probably post-Paul and during Covid etc. Just take a deep breath, enjoy your existing hardware, and in time some fun new things might pop up. Otherwise all I see here is a bunch of hobbyists, radio geeks (and aren't we a lovely bunch) that seem to over-worry or have so much insight into these commercial companies.

At least this isn't the "other" company that flopped on LSM reception hardware and then their equivalent representative left the company a few months ago.

Don't tell me scanning is dead. I'm outside at my new house raising a new mast, terminating some LDF-4 by hand, in 109 degree NorCal heat with sunscreen, hat, water and beer, to get my live fire scanner back online ASAP. If I followed everyone's worries here and the "other" company, I'd rip all my radios out, give up, and stay inside with the HVAC and listen to someone else's live scanner. Seriously people, OPTIMISM. :) (y)

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Never stated scanning is dead, but after a year and a half of ZERO FW updates, after we were getting them at least every couple of months, yea, the SDS series is just living on what they have left in them.

I honestly believe Paul was THE driving force behind the growth and perfection of the SDS series. If he were still with us, there is no telling what they would be doing now.

Sorry, SDS series weren't perfected, and left alone. The apparently only one who knew how to make them work better is out of the picture, and so there they sit. Had it been a few months, I may entertain your claim, but a year and a half, and not even a peep from Uniden about ANY future support? Come on!

RRR

Premium Subscriber
And the TRX series are absolutely awesome on DMR and NXDN. Run circles around Unidens. But Unidens have the lock on P25 / Simulcast and so forth.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Oh, me either! Absolutely not being rude, hard to tell a persons emotion or meaning in written word. I hope I didn't come across as "rude" either. Just a little let down that the SDS series are being left to sit for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.