No LEERN or Intercity in O.S.P. cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasby

I was talking with some state troopers in Portage County who said their cars no longer have LEERN or Intercity radio capability. This is very poor planning by the state because all of Portage County is on VHF-Hi and they would not be able to talk with O.S.P in an urgent situation. I wonder if the rest of the state patrol cars are the same? Crazy!!

FPO703

That's why Every Sheriffs Office has an SO-** Talkgroup and a radio in every Sheriffs Office Dispatch Center. Portage County has SO-67. All OSP Cruisers have every SO-** (01 thru 88) in their radios. So, that isn't much of an issue.

I agree, however, that EVERY law enforcement vehicle in all 50 states needs to be equipped with a radio that operates on a frequency (In Ohio, it would be LEERN (154.935)) so that in the event of a major emergency or a pursuit, they can contact additional units directly without having to tie up a dispatcher (who is already quite busy) to relay information from one unit to another.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
All Stark County Law Enforcement vehicles have a countywide radio that operates on the Canton/Stark system. All fire and ems vehicles also have these radios with the exception of private ambulances, however they are on order for these units. The countywide system has talkgroups set asdie for major police, fire, and ems emergencies.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
Marcs

Don't forget they can patch LERN VHF over to a LERN tg.

I still wouldn't like putting all of my eggs in one basket(trs), but is does still leave them with NPSPAC to fall back on.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Post 2 did a DUI checkpoint with the Allen County SO a few weeks ago and they patched intercity into the Post 2 TG. Sort of surprised they didn't do it on P02TAC since intercity had lots of traffic that all the Post 2 cars had to listen to and deal with when they wanted to talk to the post.

Mike

FPO703

They can. All OSP cars also have access to the NPSPAC channels in both simplex and repeater mode. However, not everyone in the state is on 800 MHz. So, not everyone will be able to talk direct with them, if needed.

I just wish they would put LEERN radios in all cars and leave them there. And, if someone is involved in a pursuit, they talk direct with the next jurisdiction that they are entering DIRECT and not have to relay through their dispatcher. That is what takes too much time and could possibly cost someone (either law enforcement member, or civilian) their life.

FPO703

ajpritch said:
Thats what Franklin County has. The have a talkgroup called LEERN which is an always patched over to the LEERN

What happens when the Trunked System goes down due to whatever reasons?
Then what?

SLWilson

Still at Post 27...

snjct2000 said:
I was talking with some state troopers in Portage County who said their cars no longer have LEERN or Intercity radio capability. This is very poor planning by the state because all of Portage County is on VHF-Hi and they would not be able to talk with O.S.P in an urgent situation. I wonder if the rest of the state patrol cars are the same? Crazy!!

In Gallia County, all law enforcement (as well as fire & EMS) have LEERN capabilities. OSP still has it in their cars. Not too long ago, they installed a 300 watt GE Mastr base radio for 154.935. Checked with the post, they are keeping the base. No mention of removing it from the cars right now. However, the ODNR guys say that as their VHF-hi's go out, they won't be fixed/replaced....

Yes, we do have a MARCS in dispatch with ALL S.O.'s in it. But, we have NO patch capability with it. NONE of our S.O. mobiles have MARCS. Last 2 chases that involved the PD, OSP and S.O. all units ended up on Ohio LEERN. Worked great. Caught the fleeing car/arrested the driver...Steve/Gallia

Status
Not open for further replies.