No longer able to pick up local trunked traffic (Davis, CA) on HomePatrol 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

parrotnet

Bear with me here, but my Home Patrol 2 has been wonderful and has received the local trunked frequencies for Davis California and the University of California up until a month ago. Now all I'm getting is the county analog frequencies. I have absolutely no idea what has changed. The radio firmware is up to date. Here's the list of what I used to be able to hear, taken right from this site. Any ideas?
DavisTrunked.jpg

parrotnet

If you export a hpe file of your favorites list and attach it, I will check it for problems.
Tvengr,
Thanks for your reply. I think I'm doing everything right. I don't think Davis has been analog for many years and I've been listening to them since then. I will post this to the Sacramento Valley Area Discussion too, but I thought I'd take you up on the offer to look at my hpe file if you have time. (this site wouldn't let me upload an hpe file so I renamed the suffix to jpg. Don't know if it will go through, if it does, you'll have to rename it back to hpe)
Thanks!

parrotnet

(y)(y) They switched over from simulcast.
Can I use the Sentinel software to program the scanner directly from the Radio Reference database? I don't see any capability in Sentinel yet the Radio Reference site says it can. RR lets me download CSV, PDF, and DSD formatted files of the SRRCS P25 but how do I load something on my radio. Am I not understanding a major component here? When I program my zip code on the radio, it does not load any SRRCS P25 frequencies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Can I use the Sentinel software to program the scanner directly from the Radio Reference database? I don't see any capability in Sentinel yet the Radio Reference site says it can. RR lets me download CSV, PDF, and DSD formatted files of the SRRCS P25 but how do I load something on my radio. Am I not understanding a major component here? When I program my zip code on the radio, it does not load any SRRCS P25 frequencies.
You can use the Favorites List editor to manually create the system.

But that should not be necessary. The system you are referring to, Sacramento Regional Radio Communications System (SRRCS) P25, is in the Sentinel database. You can append that system to a Favorites list, and not try to program manually. The name of the appended system, which would be the same one you should see on the scanner's display when it goes through the system, is the long form name I listed above, not simply SRRC P25.

If you are not hearing the system when using your zip code, then one or more of several things are happening:

You have not updated the master database in Sentinel, and have not written that to the scanner. In Sentinel, look in the lower left corner of the Sentinel window. You'll see the date of the current database version there. The most current is 09/27/2020.

You do not have the correct location and range set in your HP-2. Verify that what you have loaded is correct.

The new system is has both a "Davis Simulcast" site as well as a "Countywide Simulcast" site (for Sacramento County). Depending on your exact location relative to the individual tower locations, Simulcast Distortion may be affecting you.

SacScanner

Premium Subscriber
I have found that the HP-2 is not too good in receiving SRRCS P25 (Sacramento) unless you are very, very close to one of their transmission towers. I’m 2.5 miles away from one and it’s a no go.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The HomePatrols are very poor at simulcast decoding--the worst of all Unidens I've tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.