No longer hearing LAPD in Newhall

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
A couple months back I posted I could no longer hear any LAPD comms coming from east of the 405 however Devonshire, Topanga, Van Nuys, West Valley, even Air/K9 were still loud and clear. Well as of this afternoon I am no longer hearing ANY LAPD comms here in Newhall, all channels have gone silent including Air/K9. If I go over the hill everything comes in fine, the online feeds streaming LAPD are also having no problem hearing LAPD so it appears they've just taken their repeaters off of Oat Mtn and moved them to other sites that help prevent signals from propagating north of Sylmar.

Radio_Lady

A couple months back I posted I could no longer hear any LAPD comms coming from east of the 405 however Devonshire, Topanga, Van Nuys, West Valley, even Air/K9 were still loud and clear. Well as of this afternoon I am no longer hearing ANY LAPD comms here in Newhall, all channels have gone silent including Air/K9. If I go over the hill everything comes in fine, the online feeds streaming LAPD are also having no problem hearing LAPD so it appears they've just taken their repeaters off of Oat Mtn and moved them to other sites that help prevent signals from propagating north of Sylmar.
Being a string of great radio sites, Oat Mtn is set to play a big role in LA-RICS as it has for LA area agencies, not just LAPD. The County (and/or Motorola) may be upgrading and installing new stuff up there for RICS and having other agencies use alternate sites while they're working on existing towers.

It was reported on SoCalScan that the signals to the north disappeared around 11:00 Tuesday and came back up just about a technician's work-day's worth of hours later, around 19:00 or 19:30. There are areas like Woodland Hills south of Ventura Bl that can get very marginal reception from any but the Oat transmitter.

I just can't imagine LAPD or LAFD giving up Oat Mountain, and the fact that they've been disappearing but keep coming back suggests to me that they're not moving out permanently.

But my having said that, you suggested they have
moved them to other sites that help prevent signals from propagating north of Sylmar.
Since Mission and Devonshire only go to the city limits at the I-5/SR-14 interchange there's usually no need to get into Newhall or 126. Except sometimes. I just can't see them making any special effort to cause the signals to drop out right there, even if they could. There are always take-home cars, not to mention motors, who need to have radio contact at least for a little while up 5 and 14.

Last edited:

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
Semi related, but every so often, LACoFD Blue 8 comes in very crappy when in the San Fernando Valley. We have listened on multiple radios and have issues on all. Anyone have an idea if they have a transmitter on Oat? Understandable if this is due to the fact that there are few reasons to need Blue 8 in the SFV besides FS75 (chatsworth), 51 (universal), and Air Ops (next to Whiteman, but for the most part it comes in loud and clear. Except for this past week...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
LAPD Topanga, Van Nuys, West Valley and Air/K9 did come back that evening, no idea why they stopped transmitting from Oat that day.

The crappy reception comes from picking up multiple sites at once. If you look at fire station rooftops you'll notice they usually have small 3 element Yagis pointing at the local mountain top, this is to reduce interference from the other sites.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Are they using repeaters in the LA Basin? Reason I ask is that LAPD Topanga, Van Nuys, West Valley, Mission, Devonshire and Air/K9 are always loud down here in Cerritos. Hard to believe they are so loud here, but just North of those areas (I-5/SR-14) they would go out. Also I seem to receive Hotshot from Oat Mtn always great, but no luck at all with any of the Valley sites (Burbank, Oat Mtn) for ICIS.
Kind of hard to figure all this out.
Steve AA6IO

scottyhetzel

Topography has a role, we adjust wattage to not cause interference to other agencies. Frequency , wattage signal height, PEP ( power output from transmitter). If you overlaid the frequencies of nearby agencies it would be mind boggling . Most people have cell phones so in an emergent situation they still could call the Calvary. Yagi antennas are great for RR listener trying to get a distant stations. Bryan I would invest in one if you can I understand your on the other side of a large mountain. Some yagi have a 20 db gain....

Status
Not open for further replies.