• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

No Mobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Many public safety radio systems are built to provide good in-building radio coverage. This benefits using a hand held inside a car. Works just fine, as long as you never stray outside the coverage of the radio system, and never need to work longer range simplex/mutual aid channels.

While not public safety, our 800MHz system at work has good enough coverage that most users only have a hand held. They don't need dedicated mobiles in the vehicles.

Steveradio

Depending on coverage areas terrain areas and what the car is used for nope, portable radio works well in most besides most officers forget to turn the portable radio back up when they get out of the car anyways.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Portable only for dedicated detectives & investigators and the like would be ok. I always preferred mobile and portable radios together.

With the proper antenna and a good mobile you most generally can talk farther, and with less static and interference than a portable. Another benefit is that you can talk farther on simplex ( no repeater) with a mobile than you can a portable. Where I work our simplex conversations on our mobiles is much better than with our portables.

But in a mobile radio, I alway prefer and suggest a Vertex or Kenwood dual band radio.

FF - Medic !!!

phillydjdan

In Philly's case, when they first deployed the 800 MHz system, they quickly learned that the portable batteries only lasted half a shift. Officers had to call in via cellphone when their radio died. They now issue a spare battery with the radio if I recall.

captaincab

monitoring delco pa with gre psr300 pro2053 and b
Some districts do that when they have enough good spares they also have vehicle chargers in most district cars and epw's. Hopefully if/when the new system comes things will change and cars etc will et mobiles.

In Philly's case, when they first deployed the 800 MHz system, they quickly learned that the portable batteries only lasted half a shift. Officers had to call in via cellphone when their radio died. They now issue a spare battery with the radio if I recall.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
At the risk of offending the IT-founded communications managers and some members of the Law Enforcement community, there is a reason my firefighting bunker gear has both a belt AND suspenders.

"Stuff" happens, usually at an inconvenient time.

Status
Not open for further replies.