No More 436 clock repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

swm239

Premium Subscriber
I went on the the Uniden site last night to send a 436 in for the clock / display issue. Message there stating that this program ended on September 30th.
Called customer service this morning and all they said was sorry, and cost of 89.95 per radio to fix. Just thought you all should know.....

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Well they ran that "Repair Campaign" for five years then... To me that would have been more than enough time
to send one in to get it fixed...
Sent mine in Fall of 2019 for the repair... The radio was five years old at that time...

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
If you purchaser a radio with a defective clock and have a receipt that shows it should be in warranty, they should still be fixing it for free. If you have had the radio long enough for it to be out of warranty and never sent it in, that's completely on you.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Most products have a fixed warranty period. That Uniden was willing to carry on the repair campaign for 5 years to ensure as many radios as possible were repaired without charge is exemplary customer service.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Did this just fail or did it fail some time ago and you just now decided to send it in?

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
Most products have a fixed warranty period. That Uniden was willing to carry on the repair campaign for 5 years to ensure as many radios as possible were repaired without charge is exemplary customer service.
The RTC issue surfaced on mine in mid 2016 about 12 months after I purchased it new from the U.S. and I returned it then.

While I paid for the postage from Australia to the U.S., they repaired and returned it by FedEx all free of charge.

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
A heads up that they were ending the campaign would have been nice. but such is 2020. I think many where holding off in case some other problem came up. The main dial that will flip 0-5 channels/letters/etc.

It is what it is. Still a great scanner

soberone14

Premium Subscriber
I sent mine back to them for the clock repair they sent it back 2 days later I get the unit back clock still not correct I called them up they said we wi send another label to send it back in that's been 2 no th still waiting and have called several times still nothing. It seems to be working ok except the click and date which is no big deal but still it's their issue after sending it in they should fix it

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
A heads up that they were ending the campaign would have been nice. but such is 2020. I think many where holding off in case some other problem came up. The main dial that will flip 0-5 channels/letters/etc.

It is what it is. Still a great scanner
It would have been, but 5 years is way beyond what one would expect on a radio that hasn't been the flagship in almost two years. your "it is what it is" statement is probably the most accurate statement that anyone could make on this radio. The fact is that it was released while incomplete and Uniden had a lot of headaches and missed dates delivering the radio that they promised. There are still some features that were never delivered as advertised, such as a fully functioning siren app. I agree, it is a good radio, but it never truly lived up to Uniden's hype when they introduced it.

There was a recent discussion here about the x36 where people pointed to the RTC repair as Uniden still supporting this radio and holding out hope that Uniden hadn't abandoned it. I think that hope is gone now.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Do you feel that Uniden outright lied, or mostly delivered and only lied a little on what they advertised/promised?
What are your thoughts on any company that falsely advertises features in order to sell a product that actually makes it to market, but fails to deliver those features?
The fact is that it was released while incomplete and Uniden had a lot of headaches and missed dates delivering the radio that they promised. There are still some features that were never delivered as advertised, such as a fully functioning siren app. I agree, it is a good radio, but it never truly lived up to Uniden's hype when they introduced it.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I don't want to be without my 436HP. Hence, I did not send it in for repair. However, I still have an outstanding ticket for such. I wonder if they will honor an existing order.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
With regard to the x36 series, I have not exactly been quiet about my opinions. That said, I think Uniden was lied to about this radio, both internally and externally, Internally, I think people were promised that the radio would be ready by a certain date and the marketing department went to work on the release video, but by the time the release date rolled around, the radio was mostly completed and Uniden had to make a decision whether or not to roll out an incomplete radio and issue firmware upgrades that incorporated the missing features or delay release and possibly lose sales if a competitor released a new radio during that time frame. History has shown us that they took the first option, which is where I think the external lying came in. I think that Uniden was promised the world by the Siren app developer, who didn't realize how hard it was actually going to be to deliver the promised app. Uniden got strung along by the developer and in turn, Uniden could only promise the consumer the dates promised by the vendor. Eventually they realized they were never going to get the promised app, but never actually came out and said that but chose to ignore questions posed to them about the app. I would hanve preferred honesty over kicking the can down the road.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Do you feel that Uniden outright lied, or mostly delivered and only lied a little on what they advertised/promised?
What are your thoughts on any company that falsely advertises features in order to sell a product that actually makes it to market, but fails to deliver those features?
It's called "puffing." Does your Burger King Whopper look like the pictures? Does "You can save up to 90% on your purchase" mean you will? Remember, saving just 1% makes that statement valid.

It is what it is. It doesn't matter to me because stuff happens. At this stage of the repair program, I'd say "get over it." If it really bothers you, boycott the company.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Straw Man Fallacy: Substituting a person’s actual position or argument with a distorted, exaggerated, or misrepresented version of the position of the argument.

I was curious of Citywide173's opinion on the matter. If that bothers you, perhaps boycott this thread. Also, try to avoid logical fallacies.

Enjoy the weekend!

It's called "puffing." Does your Burger King Whopper look like the pictures? Does "You can save up to 90% on your purchase" mean you will? Remember, saving just 1% makes that statement valid.

It is what it is. It doesn't matter to me because stuff happens. At this stage of the repair program, I'd say "get over it." If it really bothers you, boycott the company.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I don't think straw man fallacy is appropriate here and perhaps I didn't use the best examples but I was merely showing some of the different ways businesses deal with the public. The fact that the business shows or says something is not necessarily the final outcome. The public has come to expect these “come-ons” and “little white lies” and, in most cases, they see through them or overlook them. In a manner of speaking, businesses have been allowed to “lie” or at least be misleading, up to a point and still not be held responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.