No more FW/SW updates for Uniden scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumcajs_tr

Can Uniden be expected to further develop software for its scanners? I have noticed that since April last year no firmware or software updates have been released for any Uniden scanners. I am a bit afraid that the development of Uniden scanners has slowed, if not stopped completely, after Uniden lost Paul Opitz aka UPMan. It looks like the whole development of Uniden scanners was just a one-man show. Uniden is silent, so I would like to ask here if anyone has information about the future fate of developing new features for our scanners. I'm afraid it may take several years for Uniden to find a replacement for Paul.

Edit: sorry, didn't notice a similar discussion below, please admin, merge this with the toppic here:

W5RGP

alot of it had to do with Paul being away a lot last year
just stay positive i'm sure there was work being done in paul's absence

i imagine it will take a bit to transition to someone else taking Paul's place uniden wont be be like whistler did and abandon everyone

Just remember Paul's heart and soul was in his work, we may not see someone as dedicated as he was but
he will be some what replaced by someone soon.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'm pretty sure Paul was not a firmware developer, although he worked closely with them. All of my correspondence with him related to firmware issues was along the lines of "I'll pass that along to the developers and make sure they understand the problem" as opposed to "I will fix that bug ASAP". So while Uniden has lost the individual directing firmware development and debugging efforts, they still have the dev team UPMan worked with.

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
Why not? Uniden has not let us down, at least not here for us monitoring in the states. We listed issues and they listened-well at least most of them (not referring to the hum, okay). They will list updates at their convenience and when they are ready to do it.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
"whistler did and abandon everyone"

When Whistler took over from GRE, they continued development of the firmware and eventually even offered a reasonable upgrade price for people that had bought their scanners at Radio Shack or from GRE. They just recently had a new version of the CPS. I have scanners from both Uniden and Whistler, and with the trend toward encryption, both are facing an uncertain future in a limited product market.

Ubbe

I'm pretty sure Paul was not a firmware developer, although he worked closely with them.
He was a firmware designer and developer but he was not a firmware coder. He had an in-house coder guy he could use and instruct to look for certain bugs or alter something according to his instructions and then compile a new firmware. But the firmware team that add functions and features are in japan.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.