No More MSP Bubble?????/

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I think bigblue is just pulling a gag - the more I read it the more it's obvious this is not a real news article. It wouldn't even pass a freshman-level grammer test with punctuation everywhere out of place, lack of agreement between nouns / verbs, improper capitalization and much more.

Fake.

gpp10x

Premium Subscriber
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have nothing against the led or strobe light bars but I like the bubble light used by MSP. As far as Jennie goes, its an election year shes getting blamed for everything else why not this too ;-)

johnvassel

I've heard a lot of traffic on this. One story is the union will fight this tooth and nail, because it's tradition.
I've also heard, in numerous avenues, that a single beacon light on a patrol car tends to draw the drunks towards the light, and is a disadvantage when an officer has a vehicle pulled over.
Also, and it's been awhile since I cruised Detroit at night, but their patrol cars also used to be a single beacon, very similar if not identical to the MSP lights. I wonder what they do with their spares. I've seen them pop up on the CSV courtesy vans lately... I guess to keep them from getting robbed while helping motorists??
There is something to be said about immediately being able to indentify a troop by the light, but it isn't the best light scheme.
and...a little off topic, just how much more obscenely bright are the LED lights going to get before they pull the reins in a bit. I know of a few officers who wont use all their lighting on a dark road, because the contrast between the darkness and sudden bright led's of the patrol car make approaching traffic have a difficult time seeing.

john

FNNM376

Also, and it's been awhile since I cruised Detroit at night, but their patrol cars also used to be a single beacon, very similar if not identical to the MSP lights.

ughhhhhh, NO... DPD has not had single beacons in YEARS......... at least 10

denseglow

I'm excited to see how it looks. It's going to be odd having a standard light bar on an MSP cruiser!

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Again - this is a fake article from a non-existing newspaper. Don't believe.

N

N_Jay

rdale said:
Again - this is a fake article from a non-existing newspaper. Don't believe.

I'm not sure which is funnier.

Everyone getting worked up over a fake article,

or,

everyone getting worked up over the "tradition" of a light!

MetalManMI

Confirmed - it's a fake article. I just got off the phone with one of my MSP contacts that most certainly would know if this were true, he assures me it's bogus.

Good call rdale.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I'm surprised someone hasn't developed a light-bar system that could be elevated a couple feet above the vehicle after it has stopped. Something like a small scissor jack device. This would make if much more visible, and effective.

bigbluemsp

rdale said:
I think bigblue is just pulling a gag - the more I read it the more it's obvious this is not a real news article. It wouldn't even pass a freshman-level grammer test with punctuation everywhere out of place, lack of agreement between nouns / verbs, improper capitalization and much more.

Fake.

No I'm not pulling a gag.

and No I wouldn't pull this gag Mr. Weatherman.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Well then someone pulled one over on you... Point is - this is clearly a faked release.

MetalManMI

bigbluemsp said:
No I'm not pulling a gag.

Again, I have absolutely confirmed this (MSP planning to phase out the bubble) is not legit.

Where'd you get this "article" from?

EC-7

GreatLakes said:
I'm surprised someone hasn't developed a light-bar system that could be elevated a couple feet above the vehicle after it has stopped. Something like a small scissor jack device. This would make if much more visible, and effective.

There is actualy a lightbar made like that. Some highway patrol used them for a little while, maybe Ohio??
It liiked light kinda a larger ligthbar when in the down mode, but when the car was stopped, 2 pieces would unfold from the top and the entire ligthbar would make a "U" shape. The verticle lights stuck above the vehicle up to gain height.

I have no idea who made it or what its called tho.

garys

Premium Subscriber
GreatLakes said:

There used to be such a device, but the weight and unreliability of the devices killed the idea.

There are at least two similar devices on the market.. One is made by Whelen (if it's not discontinued). The other is made by McDermott Manufactureing and has been used by NYPD for years.

As to changing the style of lights, if it's a matter of safety than it should be done. Up to a point more lights are better, as LAPD learned in a very expensive way back in 1978. Which is why they abandoned the traditional can lights and went to something more modern.

Gary

gg750

I too would like to see the bubble light stay. But I also agree that they need to make themselves more visible/noticable/identifiable. Stobes/LEDs on the pushbar, or side mirrors, or Talons under the rearview mirror...any one of those would be a huge help. I know they use these on their slicktop cars (at least they do here..dual red push bumper strobes and dual mirror LEDs), but perhaps they should use them on cars with the bubble as well.

G

E-Man

Banned
Maybe its just me and my eyes, but if I was a LEO, I would prefer the current bubble light.
From a construction standpoint, I hate the high discharge strobe lights (not sure of proper name) they blind me and cause my eyes to sqint and blink, and I never get used to them. I know things can go bad in a split second, and IMO it would be a saftey issue.

Chief71

I wonder if it ever crossed the ranks' mind to keep the bubble and add something like Code 3 SuperVisors or the Whelen Inner-Edge series lights for better visibility.

SCPD

QRT
I kind of agree with you

E-Man said:
Maybe its just me and my eyes, but if I was a LEO, I would prefer the current bubble light.
From a construction standpoint, I hate the high discharge strobe lights (not sure of proper name) they blind me and cause my eyes to sqint and blink, and I never get used to them. I know things can go bad in a split second, and IMO it would be a saftey issue.

Some of these strobe bars ARE getting too bright. I seen an Allen Park car at night on
I-94. I can see a definite potential for causing the same sort of effect a flash on a camera does to you.

I've seen this with other munincipalities too, but AP is the one I remember.

GTO_04

Also consider that the light from bubble will provide better visibility in fog and heavy snow! Sure the LEDs are bright but not as bright as the bubble, and the LED light is more diffuse. Why not have a combination of bubble and LED lighting? They are doing that on some MSP cars now, only with strobes instead of LEDs IIRC.

GTO_04

Status
Not open for further replies.