No More MSP Bubble?????/

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbluemsp

I'm still trying to find out if this is indeed true. If so then I'm pissed.

Originally Posted by The Michigonian Press
Lansing MI- Michigan State Police reports that by 2009 the "bubble-light" as troopers refer to it will no longer appear on new patrol cars, but will be replaced by a more "modernized" look.

It was only a single topic amongst many at the quarterly review meeting, one of the final discussions to be had on the Monday evening, but certainly not the least important. Administrators and ranking officials from the Michigan State Police discussed a piece of police vehicle equipment that will soon be a thing of the past.

"It's weird, it feels like we have lost something near and dear to us and every trooper who has worked these highways, but we know it is for the best." Lt. Timothy Kearnst of the State Police said.

By 5:00pm on Monday evening it was decided that the Michigan State Police will retire their current overhead lighting system, commonly referred to as "The bubble-light."

As you cruise along Michigan's highways and interstates, a-top the State Police's vehicles, foreigners of Michigan get to see an interesting sight; a bubble-light. Named for its unconventional look, the "bubble-light" is a single red lens on the center of the roof with a rotating light inside.
Michigan officials deemed the light was, "no longer meeting the needs of Michigan's law enforcement..." and it, "does not provide the appropriate and immediate identification of a law enforcement vehicle to drivers from elsewhere in the country."

According to studies, Michigan has become more and more of a thru-way for drivers from all over the country, which has been posing a serious problem for the state police.

"I didn't know what to think at first, it was dark out and all I saw behind me was a big red shining light, then it went away, then it came back. I was frightened at first as I had no idea what it was that was closing in on me. As it got closer I could tell it was a police car because it had more lights on the inside and above the bumper. It just, didn't look right." A driver native to Illinois reports.

Michigan State Police currently deploy lighting equipment from Unity Manufacturing which boasts the light is the most powerful light on any police car to date. However; Michigan State Police officials feel the worth of lighting equipment cannot be based on sheer light output.

The Michigan State Police have not yet announced what design will be taking the place of the bubble-lights, but state that they will be looking into multiple different providers.

-9/26/2006 - The Michigonian Press

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
It's about time - I'm tired of confusing tow trucks in the distance with them!

MetalManMI

Probably had more to do with the roof design of the Chargers not being able to support them without modification. Also, with limited demand, Unity is probably charging a fortune for them...

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
Here are my thoughts....

I hate to see the bubble light go....I have grown to like the bubble light, but as with anything in life, things change. MSP as done a lot to keep that bubble light and made all kinds of changes and upgrades in their lighting schemes. However, it really is time that they do upgrade to full lightbars. The new LED lightbars are extreemly bright and should provide the MSP with a more safer unit on the highways....

I hate to see the bubble light go......

rdale

Premium Subscriber
At night, on the road, red bubbles on the tow trucks around here look identical to the red bubbles on MSP.

bigbluemsp

rdale said:
At night, on the road, red bubbles on the tow trucks around here look identical to the red bubbles on MSP.

ahhhhhh but you still have to pull over and slow down for them as well if they are on the side of the road.

stiebs81

SEMTTP said:
Here are my thoughts....

I hate to see the bubble light go....I have grown to like the bubble light, but as with anything in life, things change. MSP as done a lot to keep that bubble light and made all kinds of changes and upgrades in their lighting schemes. However, it really is time that they do upgrade to full lightbars. The new LED lightbars are extreemly bright and should provide the MSP with a more safer unit on the highways....

I hate to see the bubble light go......

I also think LED lightbars are more practical. A good advantage to LED lightbars is you can turn the back on only during a traffic stop. St. Clair Shores PD does that with the Code 3 2100 lightbar. That reduces traffic delays and may not cause as many accidents from the opposite flow of traffic.

rcvmo

"SAVE THE BUBBLE!!!!!!!!!!!"
get the hint?
rcvmo

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
All i can say is its about time. I know I've personally confused them with plows a few time when they were coming from the opposite direction off in the distance. They just don't get your attention like the LED bars. That and its hard to take the state police seriously when they drive around in cars that look as they belong in an Andy Griffith Episode.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
While I hate to see this tradition change, the new LED lightbars offer greater visibility, especially at night. One of my professors in college almost ran into an accident because he mistook the MSP car for a tow-truck, when it was really foggy one night on US-127. Thankfully, he didn't hit anyone, but the person behind him, one of his students at MSU back then, ran over some debris and got four flats. He, like the person before him, mistook the cruiser for a AAA Wrecker.

I wonder if the MSP will go with an all red, or red & blue configeration? I just hope they don't remove the "State STOP Police" light on the hood. I have always liked that concept, which really goes back many decades, but still looks cool.

73's

Ron

MetalManMI

stiebs81 said:
I also think LED lightbars are more practical. A good advantage to LED lightbars is you can turn the back on only during a traffic stop. St. Clair Shores PD does that with the Code 3 2100 lightbar. That reduces traffic delays and may not cause as many accidents from the opposite flow of traffic.

Our light bars allow that, too (although ours are strobe, not LED). However, we ususally use the back only option when we are doing a motorist assist...they don't see the flashing lights pulling up behind them and feel like they've done something wrong, yet cars approaching from the rear can clearly see warning lights. Obviously, if the situation requires that cars approaching from the opposite direction of traffic flow be warned of the hazard, the lights are turned-on all the way around, even with a motorist assist. It is nice having options!

What I like about the bubbles is, it is easy to spot/identify a MSP trooper from a great distance...no questions in my mind! Seeing MSP cars with light bars would take some getting used to!

rdale

Premium Subscriber
I don't know how a tow truck would be of much service in a police situation...

Oh - that's not what you meant ;>

MSP contains the only officer to ever pull me over for speeding in the weather van during a tornado situation. For 64 in a 55. I was a "car-deer PI" away from getting a ticket.

Needless to say I prefer to deal with local police agencies more than the state after that...

bigbluemsp

HA HA you found the rare one that stops anything in the rain. They don't here.

lol

I far prefeer the professionalism of the Troops over any local or county clown.

Fiveo

Is "The Michigonian Press" a reputable publication? Reason I ask is "Lt. Timothy Kearnst" that is quoted is not listed on the State of Michigan Online contact directory. I know budget times are tight, but I would think/hope a MSP Lt. would have email.

MSP studied this issue a few years back (when some of the 4 bulb bubbles were tested) and discovered little is gained as far as "warning distance" by using full light bars.

gpp10x

Premium Subscriber
This SUCKS in my opinion. Just 1 more thing I will blame on her majesty Granholm.
I must be totally different. When I see those bubble lights I immediately think MSP although the MDOT service vans are using them too I know the difference between MSP blue & white vans.

gpp10x

Premium Subscriber
No more MSP bubble

A quick google search did not turn up any website or publication for The Michigonian Press.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
"This SUCKS in my opinion."

Why? A "real" light system is safer.

"Just 1 more thing I will blame on her majesty Granholm."

What in the world does she have to do with it?

"I must be totally different."

You live in MI. Imagine not living in MI and never seeing a police car with this, especially at night.

SCPD

QRT
Full size light bar

Even if the Michigonian Press, or whatever it was called, does not exist, it's time for MSP to step up.
A roof mounted light bar has the advantage of much better visability. The led strobes can be seen much further. The new light bars will have yellow/amber lamps for foggy and poor visibilty situations.
The front of the bar will have white floods, at a much higher height than a fender mounted spotlight.
It's inevitable, and it's a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.