No more OPP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Funny thing about the OPP, they go digital but put up Beat repeaters in area's which are analog and anyone with any scanner can pick them up.

Just happened in Pembroke. OPP took over in June, old PD analog went dead, and 3 weeks ago scanners came back alive as they put a BEAT repeater online.

mciupa

Since it is clear and analog, all scanners can hear the Comm Centre get the word out for a "first available tow" to arrive on scene for a collision and get traffic flowing again. :)

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.1483 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

uncleblackie said:
Yes you are correct, a lot of the calls will go out over the mws.

Just ask those that listened to halton before and after they upgraded and see if they noticed a difference. Or those that had been listening to York region or any other force that adopted MDT/MWS. When I used to live in York you could actually decode their ist generation mdt's. Don't live there anymore so I don't know if it's still possible.

For the departments that upgraded to them, for the first year or so scanner listeners would not notice much difference but as the forces that adopted the technology became more adept at using them to their full capabilities (and once the whole fleet was equipped), they quickly realized they could send out group calls, group bolos and any other important FYI group messages that they did not want going out over the air.

Yes you will still hear the "on scene chatter" but if you don't know where the scene is since the original call was sent via mws then it's almost the same as having encryption. :-(

Didn't really notice in Halton a switch to CAD, they had been going that route for a long time.

Halton used to have a lot ITC sensitive stuff on spec 3, with the obligatory "Raagge' i.e Roger that all the undercover cops seem to think makes them sound cool and edgy.

car55

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
Yes you are correct, a lot of the calls will go out over the mws.

Just ask those that listened to halton before and after they upgraded and see if they noticed a difference. Or those that had been listening to York region or any other force that adopted MDT/MWS. When I used to live in York you could actually decode their ist generation mdt's. Don't live there anymore so I don't know if it's still possible.

For the departments that upgraded to them, for the first year or so scanner listeners would not notice much difference but as the forces that adopted the technology became more adept at using them to their full capabilities (and once the whole fleet was equipped), they quickly realized they could send out group calls, group bolos and any other important FYI group messages that they did not want going out over the air.

Yes you will still hear the "on scene chatter" but if you don't know where the scene is since the original call was sent via mws then it's almost the same as having encryption. :-(

Yes many police in US and Canada hardly dispatch non priority calls over radio these days like theft report ,MVC report ,vandalism ,shoplift ,noise complaint , car broken into ,alarm ,B&E report ,threatening phone calls ,Dog complaint, traffic hazards ,broken down car ,road blockage ,harassment, criminal mischief ,threatening ,welfare check ,assist person ,parking complaint ,house party so on.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Yes many police in US and Canada hardly dispatch non priority calls over radio these days like theft report ,MVC report ,vandalism ,shoplift ,noise complaint , car broken into ,alarm ,B&E report ,threatening phone calls ,Dog complaint, traffic hazards ,broken down car ,road blockage ,harassment, criminal mischief ,threatening ,welfare check ,assist person ,parking complaint ,house party so on.

OPP do.

The in car computers seem to be used more for clearing calls and person/car checks. Thats when the unit is within cell range to get a signal to the computer.

car55

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
OPP do.

The in car computers seem to be used more for clearing calls and person/car checks. Thats when the unit is within cell range to get a signal to the computer.

I never listen to the OPP or RCMP so no idea what they do.

Many of the police in Florida are similar to PRP they dispatch a lot of calls over the radio. Where many of police in Texas are more similar to York Region Police but not too the extreme at not dispatching calls.

Every police department is little different doing things.

The CNI checks and DL checks are good thing more officers are not using radio for that.:p:p:p than we can hear calls not officers running CNI checks and DL checks.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
I don't know of a province-wide encrypted system in Canada nor the US.

Florida's statewide system "SLERS" is EDACS Networked Standard with ESK and every single talkgroup uses Provice digital with encryption enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.