No More Radio's at THE SHACK ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

captncarp

Sunday papers had a booklet insert from THE SHACK......a page of coupons and fourteen pages of the products that THE SHACK sells.......Surprise....not one scanner......is the clock ticking..?????
DMC

jleverin

I got one of those flyers in the mail the other day and noticed that too. Although, I'm not suprised, RS doesn't really do scanners much anymore. Really only have the 106 today and that's priced out of many people's range. Seems like they are much more into cell phones and MP3 players and such. I just usually throw their stuff away and never go into there anymore. Last time I went there was a couple of months ago, was looking for a antenna connector for one of my ham radios. To the clerk's credit- he did realize what I was looking for and informed me they didn't carry that kind of connector so I didn't waste alot of time. Big waste to go in there anymore, I've almost NEVER been able to find anything I need there and usually end up ordering what I need from ham suppliers. I don't need a 106 right now anyway, finally got my Pro96 up and running on the DTRS so that will last me for a while as scanners go. They don't carry anything I need or want right now....

jamesa53

Kinda like my experience at the local RS, the mgr said they would send the 107 back cause people can buy scanners on line and that they didnt have any room to display it. However it looks like they have not sent it back yet cause it still shows it to be in-stock.

n5ims

Isn't this kind of like complaining that your local grocery story only has turkeys for sale at a discount and you'd really rather have ham? Just because a sale flyer doesn't list something doesn't mean that the store doesn't have it for sale. When was the last time you saw solder in a Radio Shack sale flyer, but you'll most likely find some when you visit the store.

bubbajms

Good point, n5ims..

Keep in mind, too, even company owned stores don't all stock the same thing. In the Lafayette, Indiana area, there are three stores. All of them carry conventional scanners, but the one on the West side of town didn't carry any others until late this year. They don't have microphones or amps at that store, either. But they've got 4 sets of drawers full of parts, which you don't see at the other stores..

Everybody's different!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Sunday papers had a booklet insert from THE SHACK......a page of coupons and fourteen pages of the products that THE SHACK sells.......Surprise....not one scanner......is the clock ticking..?????
DMC

The problem is their marketing people are a bunch of buffoons! :p

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
I love how everyone who bashes on RS also has the knowledge of running a Billion dollar company. These same people must have had a hand in the running of Montgomery Ward and Circuit City. How on earth does one think The Shack can stay in business if their primary focus was on selling Scanners?
Could the product knowledge of their associates increase 100% on Scanner? Absolute! However, until every kid in America thinks is cooler to own a scanner vs. an iPod or cell phone, I can't see a huge change in the training. The next time the company reports their earning, contact investor relations and ask for a detailed report of the sales of scanners compared to the sales of personal audio or wireless handsets.
Consumer’s wallet’s do the voting and unless there is drastic change in their spending, don’t expect a company’s focus to either. Do consumers still crave scanner? Yes. That’s why The Shack is adding a new scanner to their product line that is directed specifically to help more consumers enjoy the hobby!

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I love how everyone who bashes on RS also has the knowledge of running a Billion dollar company. These same people must have had a hand in the running of Montgomery Ward and Circuit City. How on earth does one think The Shack can stay in business if their primary focus was on selling Scanners?
Could the product knowledge of their associates increase 100% on Scanner? Absolute! However, until every kid in America thinks is cooler to own a scanner vs. an iPod or cell phone, I can't see a huge change in the training. The next time the company reports their earning, contact investor relations and ask for a detailed report of the sales of scanners compared to the sales of personal audio or wireless handsets.
Consumer’s wallet’s do the voting and unless there is drastic change in their spending, don’t expect a company’s focus to either. Do consumers still crave scanner? Yes. That’s why The Shack is adding a new scanner to their product line that is directed specifically to help more consumers enjoy the hobby!

Well said.

red8

I worked at the "The Shack ", back in 1976 to about February 1978. The guy hired me because of knowledge of scanners. plus I knew a little bit about stereos. It's a down right shame, the way some retailers train their people. I was given a book to learn about the products they had at the time, and was told to read it. They don't even carry head phones. All I have seen is these cheap flimsy things that go on each ear tied together with flimsy wire and a small plug on the end and call them head phones. When I worked there the head phones had a lot stronger cable to them and had a decent plug on them to plug it into the jack.

SCPD

QRT
Rather simple, If ya do not like the store & what they sell.. Don't go there & do Not spend your $$$ there ?:)

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The Shack

I went into my local Shack recently to order some RSU scanner parts. They had only two scanners in stock, and I had to ask to see them. They were not visible to the public and were two of the $99 units. No PRO-164 or digital scanners.

I asked the manager what gives and he told me "that is all corporate will let me have". He said if I wanted to purchase one that he would send in a special order. Otherwise corporate did not want him selling scanners. WEIRD.

JoeyC

more likely "corporate" wanted the display space stocked with items that sell versus specialty items like scanners that few people buy. I don't think they didn't want him selling scanners, they didn't want to waste precious space displaying them, otherwise they wouldn't offer special orders as an option.

a29zuk

That's why they should have changed their name to Phone Shack about 10 years ago and got "Radio" out of its name!!

eyes00only

I'm glad they don't advertise scanners. The less the general public knows about our hobby the better as far as I'm concerned. I do hope The Shack keeps offering scanners, antennas, etc.

JK

KC5EIB

Feed Provider

Thankyou for your support. For those that have not taken the time to look, go to RadioShack Corporation - RadioShack Corporation andf see where Radio Shack makes their money and you will see that radio hobbies are a very small part of the business.

dougjgray

The did take the "Radio" out of Radio Shack at least for marketing purposes so that should be a good hint to where they are heading. But in all fairness if 'The Shack' Didnt diversify they would/or will be liquadated like CIrcuit City. So I gues technology changes. The last scanner I bought at a store was a pro 97 4 years ago and all others I have where from online anyway (BCD996 and Pro197).

SCPD

QRT
I worked at the "The Shack ", back in 1976 to about February 1978. The guy hired me because of knowledge of scanners. plus I knew a little bit about stereos. It's a down right shame, the way some retailers train their people. I was given a book to learn about the products they had at the time, and was told to read it. They don't even carry head phones. All I have seen is these cheap flimsy things that go on each ear tied together with flimsy wire and a small plug on the end and call them head phones. When I worked there the head phones had a lot stronger cable to them and had a decent plug on them to plug it into the jack.

Aren't you comparing apples to oranges though? Face it, the RS of the 70's isn't the RS of the 21st Century. I remember the Shack of the 70s, I thought it was a great place to snoop around at. But let's look at the Shack of the 21st Century and the stock they carry now, their inventory has changed quite drastically, hasn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.