No more silver scanners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portable14

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I had a 2 channel minitor III (That I used as I scanner) it was black. And my current minitor II is brown.....I have seen very few black minitors, Although my buddy's minitor II is BLUE.

N4GKS

mikey60 said:
I can see it now. Detachable faceplates so that everyone can pick their own color, kind of like some of the cell phones that are out there... ;)

Mike
I had a Sony Sirius player which had 3 different face plates. Black, silver, and blue.

N4GKS

K8PBX said:
Brilliant Idea Mike! The scanner world would beat a path to your door!

FWIW, I too don't care for the silver look of the Pro-2096. I've considered an in-dash install, but it would stick out like a sore thumb. Guess I could just order an extra faceplate and paint it, though... That would also cover up the Radio Shack name, which despite the unit being made by GRE, just screams "cheap toy" to me.

I agree 100%. The old scanners, "Realistic Patrolman" had a ring to it. I hate the name "Radio Shack".

car2back

Portable14 said:
I had a 2 channel minitor III (That I used as I scanner) it was black. And my current minitor II is brown.....I have seen very few black minitors, Although my buddy's minitor II is BLUE.
Back in the day... I had the only red Minitor on my dept, all the rest were gray!

I also agree scanners should be black, end of story.

scannerbum

Painting it black?

Has anyone taken the front face off the 2055 / 2096 down to just the plastic? I ask because if it can be done without damaging the unit, I was going to paint them black.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Pimpala03 said:
Who cares what color it is? Performance is where it's at!

Couldn't agree more. I could really care less what it looks like as long as it works how I want it to.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I'd like them to come out w/ optional heavy-duty (aka harder plastic) cases that are flat-black much like Motorola radios. I think about the old GP350s I used to carry on duty and they were great. You didn't have to worry if you dropped it accidentally.

The reason why color matters a lot is some people like to carry their scanners w/ them and wear them on their belt. It doesn't just sit on a shelf in their house. I like to have mine w/ me but I don't want something noticeable.

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
That's It!!!

I'm paintin' my brand new PSR-500 black! (uh, but then I won't see the numbers...) But I'll be fashionable!!!

peepoop

Premium Member
I wouldn't worry about it.

There used to be a lot of silver bezels/casings in home theater electronics (AVRs, flat panel TVs) up until a few years ago. Those have been phased out as they never sold as well as their black counterparts.

From what I hear, the silver plastic trend continues to be popular in Europe.

I'd expect scanners to follow the trend!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
n2mdk said:
Hey they could start making them that bright yellow that some of the public safety portables come in.

Actually Uniden tried that with the SportCat years ago. I don't think it went over well.

Last edited:

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Gilligan said:
I'd like them to come out w/ optional heavy-duty (aka harder plastic) cases that are flat-black much like Motorola radios. I think about the old GP350s I used to carry on duty and they were great. You didn't have to worry if you dropped it accidentally.
Now that's a great idea. I'd pay a few bucks more for a scanner that I know would survive a fall or two.

Gilligan said:
The reason why color matters a lot is some people like to carry their scanners w/ them and wear them on their belt. It doesn't just sit on a shelf in their house. I like to have mine w/ me but I don't want something noticeable.

Yes, and that is why God invented the Leather Carrying Case. ;)

-AZ

Landman

I agree with the majority. The Pro-92 and 93/95 were the best looking scanners ever. Black and very dark gray are the way to go. No silver unless it's real metal. Silver plastic just looks cheap

Dubbin

Feed Provider
Pimpala03 said:
Who cares what color it is? Performance is where it's at!

People that mount them in their cars care. You can't do a mobile install without them sticking out like a sore thumb.

cpuerror

I really don't care for the silver on the 996. Like silver digital cameras it just looks cheesey and low end. Black or even a dark grey is the way to fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.