No MPSCS tower around Flint??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Righto - Flint is best monitored with a Pro96/2096 using DSP1.3 since it is CQPSK.

Mac2

Genesee County APCO25 system

Most of the Genesee services can be monitored through the Owosso system (868.9375 MHz).

It is not yet clear that a modified RS radio does a better job of demodulating the Genesee system than a Uniden radio. Demodulation of multi-level PSK from multiple transmitters (the Genesee system) is more difficult than demodulation of such signals from one transmitter (such as the Owosso system).

Try the Owosso system. Regards, Mac2 (Genesse County)

seamusg

Mac2 said:
Most of the Genesee services can be monitored through the Owosso system (868.9375 MHz).

It is not yet clear that a modified RS radio does a better job of demodulating the Genesee system than a Uniden radio. Demodulation of multi-level PSK from multiple transmitters (the Genesee system) is more difficult than demodulation of such signals from one transmitter (such as the Owosso system).

Try the Owosso system. Regards, Mac2 (Genesse County)
You can also hear some of Genesee on the Holly site and I hear Genesee FD South Disp (but only the initial dispatch) on the Romeo site ( Someone is in the South area!)

rdale

Premium Subscriber
"It is not yet clear that a modified RS radio does a better job of demodulating the Genesee system than a Uniden radio."

It is clear, reception was greatly improved for me (and that's one of the locations that the firmware update was tested on.)

n4voxgill

Silent Key
Mac2 said:
It is not yet clear that a modified RS radio does a better job of demodulating the Genesee system than a Uniden radio. Demodulation of multi-level PSK from multiple transmitters (the Genesee system) is more difficult than demodulation of such signals from one transmitter (such as the Owosso system). Mac2 (Genesse County)

Do you have a Pro96? your other posts say you have a 396.....

bigbluemsp

Some people need to read the pages on the firmware upgrade for the pro96 and pro2096.

The 1.3 firmware upgrade for the radioshack scanners makes the sound and reception 100 times better then the Uniden scanners..

The upgrade improves greatly the reception for all simualcast systems like Detroit, Macomb, Monroe and Genessee

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46269

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46739

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46278

Mac2

It looks as if "rdale" from Lansing and "bigbluemsp" have used a modified RS radio and found it to work well with the Genesee system (868.8875 MHz contol frquency). We will all profit from knowing details of their tests.

Quality with a 396 or an unmodified RS radio from within Genesee County (using 868.8875 MHz control frequency) is location sensitive.

If location sensitivity is cured by the modifications to RS radios then one can hope that Uniden will follow with a modification that attenuates the simulcast issue.

Thanks for bringing the fact that tests have been made within Genesee County. From what I had read, it was not clear that the modified radios always were an improvement.

Regards, Mac2 (in Genesee County)

bigbluemsp

No modifications were done to my scanner and I'm in Port Huron. Radioshack has updates on their website that you upload to your scanner to patch holes, inprove opperations and the like.

I hear GCSO N, S, C dispatch so much I am about to lock them out cause it interfeers with my local area...

Mac2

Dear "bigbluemsp" in Port Huron:

To have an unmodified RS radio work on the Genesee County system from many miles away might indicate: 1. you are receiving a system in Lapeer County that retransmits Genesee County in the same way that Owosso does; or 2. that you are receiving only the strongest signal from Genesee County (and thus your receiver is not faced with demodulating a signal from many transmitters.)

The acid test is for a receiver to have good quality at almost all locations where the receiver is "looking" at several transmitters in the same system. RS may have improved that ability with its new modification. However, at least one person has used two RS receivers (one with the new modification and one without the new modification) within Genesee County with poor results.

It is not clear that Detroit's system is more or less difficult to demodulate. I expect that a receiver distant from Detroit might be receiving only one transmitter and thus have better quality than the same receiver equal distant from two or three transmitters.

At the end of the day, both RS and Uniden may not have the computational power to work as well as a Motorola receiver. It is good that engineers are working on closing the gap.

Regards, Mac2

bigbluemsp

I can't receive Genessee off of Lapeer since Lapeer is a 800 anallog and their towers won't decode digital signals.

I live in the highest part of my county and I can pick up all of the entire 2nd District of MSP, all of MSP 3rd District, Oakland and Lapeer 800 Analog, Gennessee county, Macomb occasionaly Warren PD, all my locals as well.

I was picking up Flint for the longest time on VHF but not so much anymore, and when detroit was UHF i was hearing them and a handfull of down river departments from my home just west of Port Huron w/o any distortion.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
I gave extensive details of my test in the various other threads - as mentioned in those, the new Pro96 is much improved over the past Pro96, and the 396, in Flint and the rest of Genesee Co.

"The acid test is for a receiver to have good quality at almost all locations where the "receiver is "looking" at several transmitters in the same system."

It doesn't have good quality on every transmission - it has notably better quality than before on a large majority of transmissions. And I had equal or better than Uniden on 90% or more.

"It is not clear that Detroit's system is more or less difficult to demodulate."

It works better on the Detroit system. Did you read any of the Detroit threads in the forum here? I'd suggest perusing those...

"I expect that a receiver distant from Detroit might be receiving only one transmitter and thus have better quality than the same receiver equal distant from two or three transmitters."

I tested it in and all around Detroit, side-by-side with a 396 that was not receiving well in many locations. I don't imagine there are too many places in the city where the radio only gets one tower.

"At the end of the day, both RS and Uniden may not have the computational power to work as well as a Motorola receiver."

It's not the 'computational power' - it's a $200 receiver and the quality of its components vs a $2000 receiver and the related difference in quality. RS was able to overcome some of that, but in the end it takes a $2000 scanner to receive as well as a $2000 Motorola.

bigblue is obviously only picking up a signal from one tower, so his comparion doesn't mean anything. For his scanner, it's just a plain old signal. Not a combination of various towers. I always picked up the system well on I-69 west of Swartz Creek where it likely only got on tower.

- Rob

Old4rd

bigbluemsp said:
I can't receive Genessee off of Lapeer since Lapeer is a 800 anallog and their towers won't decode digital signals.

I live in the highest part of my county and I can pick up all of the entire 2nd District of MSP, all of MSP 3rd District, Oakland and Lapeer 800 Analog, Gennessee county, Macomb occasionaly Warren PD, all my locals as well.

I was picking up Flint for the longest time on VHF but not so much anymore, and when detroit was UHF i was hearing them and a handfull of down river departments from my home just west of Port Huron w/o any distortion.

Lapeer County does have a MPSCS tower that simulcasts Genesee Co. See copied info from RR MPSCS page: 215 Columbiaville* 867.06250 867.47500 867.63750 867.97500 868.11250 868.47500* 868.81250* 868.97500. The display readout on PRO96 is TO20F, see link: http://my.core.com/~lbutler/cc.htm

I still depend on the (four) state towers in the four counties bordering Genessee Co. that simulcast our (Gen. Co.) comms. The 1.3 upgrades barely showed any improvement for receiving more than one of our six towers at the same time. I did see improvement when primarily one tower is received; such as being in the vicinity of a tower and when using a yagi antenna to focus on a particular tower.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
"Lapeer County does have a MPSCS tower that simulcasts Genesee Co."

It's not a complete simulcast though.

Old4rd

seamusg said:
The map refered to in the origional post was this one: http://radiowurx.com/mpscs/
I KNOW HOW TO USE THE DATABASE. Please read the post before replying.

Sir, your other quote:
Originally Posted by seamusg;
"What about the Genesee Co. Simulcast? Looks like the map is not up to date." (end quote)

Your latter quote is a specific question and statement regarding a map of Genesee County's six tower sites. True, the MPSCS map lacks Genesee's as well as other counties' APCO-25 tower sites. They possibly may never be listed on the MPSCS map. However, my reply to your above question and statement, and the (database) link I provided for the Gen. Co. tower map was not done in an insulting manner and was intended to be useful information to "any" & "if any" who found it so. Isn't that what RRP is all about? The CAPS weren't necessary....

seamusg

Old4rd said:
Sir, your other quote:
Originally Posted by seamusg;
"What about the Genesee Co. Simulcast? Looks like the map is not up to date." (end quote)

Your latter quote is a specific question and statement regarding a map of Genesee County's six tower sites. True, the MPSCS map lacks Genesee's as well as other counties' APCO-25 tower sites. They possibly may never be listed on the MPSCS map. However, my reply to your above question and statement, and the (database) link I provided for the Gen. Co. tower map was not done in an insulting manner and was intended to be useful information to "any" & "if any" who found it so. Isn't that what RRP is all about? The CAPS weren't necessary....
The OP was about the MPSCS map lacks Genesee, the rest of your statement is BS. You never read the OP before going after me. As I pointed out in my origional post there was a tower in Flint, the Genesee Simulcast system.

Status
Not open for further replies.