• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng No name Baofeng BF- 888's at Big Lots $30.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9NES

Found these at Big Lots for $30.00 for the pair. They are no name Baofeng BF-888's with chargers and belt clips. These are brand new and are UHF 2 watts 16 channels and they talk to each other. You can make some great finds at Big Lots.

nd5y

What frequencies are they on?
There was a thread about these on another web site. Nobody posted the FCC ID or any useful information. The back of the package said 400-470 MHz. Somebody claimed they were FRS. As far as I know nobody has determined what frequencies are programmed. The people who bought them weren't capable of figuring it out.

There are a couple BF-888-looking Part 95 certified FRS radios now. I don't know if thats what these are.
If they aren't really FRS then they probably come with one of the BF-888 frequency lists posted at:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
If they're 888 wannabees, they're UHF only. They need programming software because there's no screen and no buttons (except xmit). There's no telling what frequencies are in there but you can probably bet the radios are not approved for them.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
My guess? 406.0000 MHz.

A flashlight is built in? Motorola Solutions is losing sales on that!

kb2hpw

Premium Subscriber
These are the "stock" frequencies that I found in several BF-888's that I was asked to "fix" for a small company several years ago. They were being used in like a large warehouse building, they never received any interference complaints but I think they were just lucky. They were something like $18 each off Amazon so it seemed like a great deal to them. I ended up getting them back on their legit commercial UHF simplex radios, it was an in-house repeater system at one time, nobody knew how to use it so they abandoned it. They had a handful of simplex freqs and they turned out to work fine for them. Legit radios now on legit frequencies.

I had two UV-5R's out of curiosity at the time, that's how I had CHIRP. They were OK and honestly never actually failed. But not very intuitive to program by hand, which is something I always liked in a radio. But if you program via CHIRP, lock the keys, you can give them to anyone and they can use them.

I've only heard this as a rumor, but apparently BLM and ANTIFA use Bao-Feng radios at their "protests". I need to look at news footage a little closer. I've always been guarded on who I give radio programming advice to. Like the above company, I know people there, but I would never give radio programming advice to someone I don't know.

1 - 462.125
2 - 462.225
3 - 462.325
4 - 462.425
5 - 462.525
6 - 462.625
7 - 462.725
8 - 462.825
9 - 462.925
10 - 463.025
11 - 463.125
12 - 463.225
13 - 463.525
14 - 450.225
15 - 460.325
16 - 469.950

PACNWDude

+1 on not educating people that you do not trust, and especially when there are so many illegal to use radios out there in the UHF band now. There are areas where it is almost impossible to get spectrum in UHF and 800MHz, but the UHF portion is due to the noise floor being so high from the RF congestion. FRS/GMRS has been useful at times, but is constantly in use in the major cities of the Pacific Northwest. Something like this being sold at Big Lots just makes the problem worse for legitimate users.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
+1 on not educating people that you do not trust, and especially when there are so many illegal to use radios out there in the UHF band now. There are areas where it is almost impossible to get spectrum in UHF and 800MHz, but the UHF portion is due to the noise floor being so high from the RF congestion. FRS/GMRS has been useful at times, but is constantly in use in the major cities of the Pacific Northwest. Something like this being sold at Big Lots just makes the problem worse for legitimate users.
It's almost like CB: it's so prolific that it's gotten out of hand and there's probably nothing that can be done about it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.