No ports available in FreeScan

lightspeed033

Premium Subscriber
Hey team,

I am having a rough time trying to program my Uniden BCD325P2 via FreeSCAN 2.18-beta6. I am running Windows 11, and I think that may be the issue?

It does not detect any drivers at all. I go to Scanner>Control Scanner>COM Port Setup... and the Port # drop-down box is left blank and there are no options. I push Refresh and it gives me the following error:

"FreeSCAN was unable to detect any available COM ports. Make sure the port is not in use, it is COM15 or less, and that you have USB-COM Port drivers installed if applicable."

Any help would be appreciated, as I cannot find definitive answers to the questions I have.

Thank you!
-Bradley

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
What happens when you plug in the scanner? Do you hear the usb connecting sound? After the scanner is hooked up, what does your Windows device manager show?
If you have not done so or the scanner is not showing in Windows, download and install the driver

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
you need to download and install the special driver required for the 396/996 p2 scanners before the will connect to the computers comm ports. load the driver first then plug in the scanner

a417

Any help would be appreciated, as I cannot find definitive answers to the questions I have.
The definitive answer is that the operating system is not presenting the COM ports to the software to use. That makes it an OS issue, not a FreeScan issue. The two prior answers to that will help you on that front.

lightspeed033

Premium Subscriber
What happens when you plug in the scanner? Do you hear the usb connecting sound? After the scanner is hooked up, what does your Windows device manager show?
If you have not done so or the scanner is not showing in Windows, download and install the driver

The computer does not make any sound when I plug in the scanner via USB. The scanner itself lights up and asks input for charging or not charging. Whenever I try to click on that link for my scanner, it keeps showing Error 404 File Or Directory Not Found for that uniden_usbser.zip file.

lightspeed033

Premium Subscriber
The definitive answer is that the operating system is not presenting the COM ports to the software to use. That makes it an OS issue, not a FreeScan issue. The two prior answers to that will help you on that front.

How would I resolve this issue? Does Freescan simply not work for Windows 11 yet?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
How would I resolve this issue? Does Freescan simply not work for Windows 11 yet?
If your pc does not make an acknowledgement when the usb cable is plugged in, its either a bad cable, charging only cable, or you do not have the drivers installed. I reached out to scanner master letting them know the link is dead so hopefully they fix it or someone else posts a link to the driver.

That link goes to the same page I posted. The link to the actual driver returns a 404 not found

Maybe @JoeBearcat can shed some light or atleast pass it on to be fixed.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here is the driver. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. I remember Paul, the former Uniden rep, saying that if you send the 2 files to your desktop. the software will find them.

Attachments

• uniden_usbser.zip
    5.4 KB · Views: 16

lightspeed033

Premium Subscriber
Here is the driver. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. I remember Paul, the former Uniden rep, saying that if you send the 2 files to your desktop. the software will find them.

I downloaded the file, it gave me 2 files a "Security Catalog" file and a "Setup Information." How do you update the driver from these files? Also, in the "Setup Information" it only goes up to WIN8, idk if that means anything.

If your pc does not make an acknowledgement when the usb cable is plugged in, its either a bad cable, charging only cable, or you do not have the drivers installed. I reached out to scanner master letting them know the link is dead so hopefully they fix it or someone else posts a link to the driver.

That link goes to the same page I posted. The link to the actual driver returns a 404 not found

Maybe @JoeBearcat can shed some light or atleast pass it on to be fixed.

I have the same cable that came with the device, and I have used it to program the device before, although it was a while ago, I think back when I had Windows 10. It shouldn't be damaged, it's only about a year old.

lightspeed033

Premium Subscriber
Also, I just found out, when i go to the "Help" tab, then to "Check for Updates," it gives me the error "FreeSCAN was unable to connect to scannow.org. Check your connection." Then I go to scannow.org and the domain is vacant. Is there a possibility my version of FreeSCAN (2.18-beta6) is not legit?

I am glad to hear that there is at least one user who is ruining WIN11 and having zero issues, that gives me hope!

lightspeed033

Premium Subscriber
OK, I think I figured it out, super rookie mistake. Scanner has to be TURNED on in order for it to be detected. I took it for granted it was "on" when it was plugged in and lit up.

Thank y'all so much for the help, I am so embarrassed, but also quite relieved that that is what the issue was.

wtp

it happens...
the wife did IT for about 25 years and i have "played around in computers for about 30.
this would be under the question we hated to ask...."is it plugged in"?
the closest i ever got to that was, it was plugged in, but the wall switch was off.
thanks for being honest.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Also, I just found out, when i go to the "Help" tab, then to "Check for Updates," it gives me the error "FreeSCAN was unable to connect to scannow.org. Check your connection." Then I go to scannow.org and the domain is vacant. Is there a possibility my version of FreeSCAN (2.18-beta6) is not legit?

I am glad to hear that there is at least one user who is ruining WIN11 and having zero issues, that gives me hope!
Looks like you've got it going.

scannow.org was the page set up by the original author of FreeSCAN. He abandoned the software several years ago and let the domain expire. So, as you found, 'Check for updates' is a dead end.

The version you have is correct, and the same one I have installed.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
scannow.org was the page set up by the original author of FreeSCAN.
Original author was Assaf,right ?
Looks like the site (Sixspot Software) is on a google site FreeSCAN - Sixspot Software

The contact us is amusing.

Please direct any technical support questions to an alternate destination. Also please note there is a minimum processing time of 300 months before you can receive a response. Any inquires specifically regarding software, scanners, or any other topic will be ignored. You can e-mail me (Assaf) at sixspotinfo@gmail.com.

For the latest and greatest updates, follow on Twitter

And on the twitter page, there is a link to the Sixspot Software google site

1671581573817.png