No scanner yet? Use an old cellphone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Scanner Radio Pro.png

There is a program I've been using for a number of years, and while it relies on hobbyists supplying the feeds, and there is not always coverage for your area, I've found it most useful. There is an older review of it <<HERE>> that may interest you.

Some of the things I really like is it's integration with Android Auto that lets me control it through the touchscreen in my car. For home use I've been using an old retired smartphone with WiFi access to my home network. It can also be configured to give you notice of major happenings anywhere in the country, usually BEFORE you hear about things on the news.

So if you are just getting into scanning, have no scanner, no antenna, or no money to even buy one, it's a really inexpensive way to "try on the hobby". I've considered making a YouTube video on this amazing little program, if that interests you let me know.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Broadcastify also has an app available and it has lots of feeds on it as well, been around for years and does a decent job. Besides, I learned never trust an app that isn't from Google Play Store or Apple's App Store.

Last edited:

fredva

Feed Provider
View attachment 108561

There is a program I've been using for a number of years, and while it relies on hobbyists supplying the feeds, and there is not always coverage for your area, I've found it most useful. There is an older review of it <<HERE>> that may interest you.

Some of the things I really like is it's integration with Android Auto that lets me control it through the touchscreen in my car. For home use I've been using an old retired smartphone with WiFi access to my home network. It can also be configured to give you notice of major happenings anywhere in the country, usually BEFORE you hear about things on the news.

So if you are just getting into scanning, have no scanner, no antenna, or no money to even buy one, it's a really inexpensive way to "try on the hobby". I've considered making a YouTube video on this amazing little program, if that interests you let me know.
Is this post intended to be an advertisement for one of several scanner apps that stream Broadcastify content?

NLACo

No, just some information that may be useful to some people. Is there a problem?
No, but the way you said it made it sound like an advertisement. I personally like to use the Broadcastify app since I don't get ads on it but I do see the appeal of the Radio Scanner app. Features such as car play and the ability to have the audio play in the background (iOS unknown if that's available on Android) are pretty awesome.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
No, but the way you said it made it sound like an advertisement. I personally like to use the Broadcastify app since I don't get ads on it but I do see the appeal of the Radio Scanner app. Features such as car play and the ability to have the audio play in the background (iOS unknown if that's available on Android) are pretty awesome.

Actually the PRO version does not have advertising (as shown below). (y)

PRO Version.jpg

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Yeah but unlike Broadcastify where your RR premium subscription transfers over to give you no ads
Actually if you look at the photo, the feed is from Broadcastify, and I've had no ads for years, just a one time purchase fee of about $3.00 for the pro version. I didn't subscribe to RR until about a week ago, about three days after I started hanging out here.

thesavo

Feed Provider
I Use scanner radio pro to keep track of the feedsi host. I like it better than the broadcastify app.

Scanner radio also will take your radio reference credentials. If you have a premium RR account, It let's you pull archived audio too.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I use the app pictured, and a subscription to the no ad version is good for multiple devices. I have used several different ones and this is also my preferred choice.

NLACo

I Use scanner radio pro to keep track of the feedsi host. I like it better than the broadcastify app.

Scanner radio also will take your radio reference credentials. If you have a premium RR account, It let's you pull archived audio too.
how do I put in my rr?

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber

Thanks! I just added my credentials! (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.