• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

No send , recieve or speaker on cobra nightwatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horseranch11b

Everything is hooked up properly. Changed mics,power cord, good ground. Good antenna. Dials are set properly. I have great swing, no speaker, no send,no recieve, no static. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

kesselk

Premium Subscriber
I had the exact same problem with my Cobra 29 - it was a bad antenna

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Finals

I once fried the finals in my Cobra and had to have them replaced. I made the stupid mistake of transmitting without the antenna connected.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Set the RF gain to maximum CW, Delta tune to center, squelch all the way down CCW. Volume full CW. CB/PA to CB, ANL Off. Any noise?

I once bought a "defective" ICOM R-71A because the owner had the knobs all wacky.

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
I had a cobra 148 Nightwatch that was bad out of the box
As it turned out. It was bad solder joints.
If you are comfortable with it, take the cover off the radio
GENTLY push on the printed circuit board near the rear left side
of the radio while it is on. (wear gloves so you don't get zapped)
See if the radio's receive goes in and out. That's exactly what I did
and exactly how I found 2 bad solder joints. Reflowed the joints and the
radio still works today

DrDenny

I had a cobra 148 Nightwatch that was bad out of the box
As it turned out. It was bad solder joints.
If you are comfortable with it, take the cover off the radio
GENTLY push on the printed circuit board near the rear left side
of the radio while it is on. (wear gloves so you don't get zapped)
See if the radio's receive goes in and out. That's exactly what I did
and exactly how I found 2 bad solder joints. Reflowed the joints and the
radio still works today

Got the same radio, had it for years and loved it!!! It started acting up, intermittently, a love tap would do the job for a while. Now the love is gone. I'm going to look at it, but also looking for a good radio shop in Santa Clarita or San Fernando Valley in CA.

Delta33

Everything is hooked up properly. Changed mics,power cord, good ground. Good antenna. Dials are set properly. I have great swing, no speaker, no send,no recieve, no static. Any ideas? Thanks guys.
It's only a cheap cb radio... trash it and just buy a New one. Problem solved. ;)

cmdrwill

Some CB radios switch the speaker off in the microphone during transmit. They will have a extra wire and switch contact in the mic.

And there are not any good radio shops in the 'valley' anymore.

DrDenny

[Quote} there are not any good radio shops in the 'valley' anymore.[/quote]
The last one I knew of was the big one in Burbank, the name just escaped me. They did HAM, CB Scanners,etc...
The way it's looking, if you don't "know" someone locally, you're sending it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.