No Serial Interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
I'm planning to purchase a BCD996XT. I also plan to use ARC-X Software on my PC using Windows 7. I found out that the scanner comes with PC Serial Cable for programing.

My Dell 1545 Inspiron doesn't have a serial port! It does have a USB interface. I'm not sure what type of connection goes into scanner, so I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem.

Is there a USB cable with the correct input plug for the scanner? If so, please advise!

Thank you.

WQPW689

Last edited:

ccs247

Premium Subscriber
The BCD996XT does not use a USB cable. It is a serial to USB converter. The cable that came with your scanner can be used if you buy a 9-pin serial to USB converter. The 9-pin female connector on your cable connects to the 9-pin male connector of the converter. An easier way is to buy the USB-1 cable from Uniden or ScannerMaster. Boh Uniden and ScannerMaster are shipping the newest version that uses the Prolific HXD chip set. The older version had the HXA chip set and requires a different driver.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I believe you should be able to use one of these:

Amazon.com: AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A Male to Mini B Cable - 3 Feet (0.9 Meters): Computers & Accessories

They come in 6 ft. lengths also, so use what you need.
These cables will not work for the 996XT. They are straight USB cables, not a USB to Serial converter. (It appears they have the correct end for the 436HP & 536HP, which do not require a serial converter cable, but would not work for the 996XT. 396XT, etc.) You need either a converter cable, or the true USB-1 cable.The USB-1 can be found on Uniden's page, as was linked above, at ScannerMaster, and a number of online dealers. You must install the drivers for the USB-1 before plugging it in to the pc/ Driver download can be found on both the Uniden and ScannerMaster page. Beware of fake cables, as found on eBay. See this thread.

More on USB to Serial converter cables can be found here: Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
As noted, the Amazon cable in a preceding post will not work for the 96XT series scanners. It does not have the correct end for the scanner, nor does it have the internal electronic gizmo for port recognition purposes.

The Uniden USB-1 cable is your best bet. I agree with getting it from Uniden, that way you are sure to have the latest chipset (HXD) in the cable. While having the HXD chipset isn't critical with Windows 7, if you convert to Windows 8, you'll find an older style USB-1 cable (with HXA chipset) no longer works.

If you are pinching pennies, you have a less costly option. You can get a USB to RS 232 adapter for your computer, then use the original programming cable.

Amazon.com: Plugable USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Adapter (Prolific PL2303HX Rev D Chipset): Computers & Accessories

Just to reinforce the post above, be use to download and install the drivers before connecting your USB-1 cable or the USB to RS 232 adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.