No Skip for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Oh brother is that ever an overstatement. Skip happens all the time, whether we're in the high point, or as we are now, in a low ebb of the solar cycle. Propagation right now on the higher bands will not be so good for awhile, that's true, but even there, during disturbances due to the solar wind or the occasional sunspot, there may be openings where DX may be had. There are occasional openings on 10 and 6 during the North American spring due to E skip. Low band conditions (say around 40, 60 and 80 meters) should be pretty good until we get into the summer, when thunderstorm noise will be a problem.

The study of HF propagation is quite involved, but understanding even the basics is going to help you understand why and how you can hear that flea powered Latin American on 60 meters, or that Indonesian on 90m. It's an important concept to understand if you want to be successful in the HF game

73 Mike

Allan_Love_Jr

ka3jjz said:
Oh brother is that ever an overstatement. Skip happens all the time, whether we're in the high point, or as we are now, in a low ebb of the solar cycle. Propagation right now on the higher bands will not be so good for awhile, that's true, but even there, during disturbances due to the solar wind or the occasional sunspot, there may be openings where DX may be had. There are occasional openings on 10 and 6 during the North American spring due to E skip. Low band conditions (say around 40, 60 and 80 meters) should be pretty good until we get into the summer, when thunderstorm noise will be a problem.

The study of HF propagation is quite involved, but understanding even the basics is going to help you understand why and how you can hear that flea powered Latin American on 60 meters, or that Indonesian on 90m. It's an important concept to understand if you want to be successful in the HF game

73 Mike
Thanks for the info. I remember back in 2000 when the skip was just incredible.

w0fg

Band conditions haven't been great for a couple of years as we're seeing a broad bottom to Cycle 23. That doesn't mean there isn't DX to be found. I worked 55 countries in a few hours during the ARRL DX contest a couple of weeks ago, some with just my 5 watt QRP rig. Even the higher bands are open once in a while..you just have to be in the right place at the right time.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Doh!

Yes I have noticed I cant hear the east coast police and businesses at all anymore like i could just a few years ago. Darn that was interesting I hope it comes back soon! 25-40 Mhz was great to listen too!

k9rzz

I worked Boznia on 20 meter CW yesterday from my car (100 watts and Hamstick antenna). I heard the Rwanda DXpedition, but the pileup was too fierce.

Skip? What skip?

N8DV

Wrong! Worked Morocco, Serbia, Bosnia and others in the BARTG (rtty) contest this weekend.

k8mcn

solar flare today--10&12 meters opened up nicely----dx spotter says 6 was open too, but presently no antenna for that

k9rzz

Haaaaa !! I got the Rwanda DXpedition yesterday on 20 cw from the car.

That's 3 countries down, 97 more to go for DXCC.

783.gif

k8mcn

k9rzz said:
Haaaaa !! I got the Rwanda DXpedition yesterday on 20 cw from the car.

That's 3 countries down, 97 more to go for DXCC.

783.gif

Congrats!!!!! What antenna are you using mobile?

ka5lqj

Hf Dx ??

Hi Gents,

I believe we've "turned the corner" on Cycle 23 and are now at the upstart of Cycle 24. Even at the very bottom of Cycle 23 there were some ten & six meter openings. I even managed to work some openings on 2 meter FM.

Long-term, the idea is to be "on-guard" and "at-the-ready" to pounce on ANY opening that may be there. I know, I get tired of hearing the "frying noise" sometimes on the upper HF bands. But, the IDEA is to occassionally put out a "CQ", every now and then to "test the waters" as to whom else is just listening. If we all sit and listen, then no one knows we're there, hi hi.

Now, I know we can't put out a call on the scanner frequencies, 25-50, 150-174, 450-512 or even the 800 mc frequencies. And, if you have your scanner set for just certain frequencies, that's all you'll bag. Not everyone has multiple scanners, but I wished we all did. I've got some that I have on a broad frequency "scan" and try to be near when a frequency 'pops up'.

Since I'm retarded....uhhh "retired" (LOL!) I now have the "Time" to sit and talk on my ham rigs and "monitor" everything from "DC to Light". ;-) I listen to "everything" and love to "ragchew" as well. I do some 10/10 contest, chase counties and grid-squares, but don't seriously chase countries or rare DX. If it "drops in my lap" and there isn't a pile-up, I'll work them or if they call me, LOL!

Well, I'm going to grab another cup of my World's Famous, "Hello World" Cajun cowboy "sock" Kawphy and get my "weekend" started.

Blessings,
Respectfully submitted,

Don/KA5-LQJ

Status
Not open for further replies.