Status
Not open for further replies.

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
No Sync No Audio DSD+ and FMP

I am trying to decode NDXN from the Benzie Co Road Comission as listed here:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1236

Frequencies are: 156.24000 and Input = 159.07500

I get "no sync" messages but it shows NDXN 9600 as on the attached print-screen image. I have tried to capture the audio and use the dsdtune tool. Since I can't hear the signals it's tough to record one. I have tried but have missed, using the "r" method. Since I have no audio - not even noise-floor static, I assume that some setting is not correct. So, a few questions:
- What does "no sync" imply? What is trying to sync with what?
- Does it look like I have the audio flow correct or perhaps backwards?
- Is there a way to adjust the waterfall on FMP? I use SDR# all the time along with SDR Console and others
and I find the default waterfall on FMP problematical since I am not manually tuning.

I have captured some radio ID's but have no other system or group IDs set-up. I do use batch files as follows:

NXDN.bat
-------------
cd \DSDPlus
start C:\DSDPlus\FMP.EXE -i1, -o1, -f156.240, -v75, -s0
start /realtime C:\DSDPlus\DSDPlus.exe --, -fN, -o2, -wsl65.10, -wel504.11, -wcl10.10, -H21

dsdtune.bat
----------------
cd \DSDPlus
start C:\DSDPlus\dsdtune.exe -x-DSDPlus.exe, -fn, -iVC-DSDPlus-Raw-Input_2018-04-23@104732.wav

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
There is a real good chance that unless it's daytime during the week or there is a significant snow event you won't be hearing anything. Most DPWs aren't very active unless there is bad weather or road work is going on.

If you monitor the frequency outside of peak activity hours, you will probably only be seeing the occasional NEXEDGE96 beaconing.

Unless your computer is garbage and cannot handle a 2.4 msps stream over USB, you really should be using FMP24 and not FMP.

Try something really really simple. Open two Command Prompts. Change to your DSDPlus folder in each window. In the first command prompt run FMP24, and in the second command prompt run DSDPlus. Sit and wait patiently (maybe hours or days, depending upon what type of activity is expected on that DPW frequency).

# use dongle 1; send TCP output over port 20001; tune to freq 156.24 mhz
FMP24 -i1 -o20001 -f156.24

# connect to TCP 20001 to get stream from FMP24; use verbosity level 4; decode NXDN96 only
DSDPlus -i20001 -v4 -fN

After it has been attempting to decode for a while (and you know an NXDN96 signal has been present), take a screenshot that includes the DSDPlus DOS Window, Activity Window, etc and show us.

Something as simple as what I've shown above should provide good results out of the box as long as you have a decent signal coming in and your USB subsystem isn't broken.

Mike

slicerwizard

- What does "no sync" imply? What is trying to sync with what?
It means that DSD+ is not seeing any sync patterns for any supported digital protocol.

- Does it look like I have the audio flow correct or perhaps backwards?
You have FMP's output set to WaveOut device #1; is that an instance of VB Cable? If not, you do not have the audio flow set correctly.

You have DSD+'s input defaulting to WaveIn device #1; is that the same instance of VB Cable? If not, you do not have the audio flow set correctly.

- Is there a way to adjust the waterfall on FMP? I use SDR# all the time along with SDR Console and others
and I find the default waterfall on FMP problematical since I am not manually tuning.
Adjust it in what way? What's the problem?

I have captured some radio ID's but have no other system or group IDs set-up. I do use batch files as follows:

NXDN.bat
-------------
cd \DSDPlus
start C:\DSDPlus\FMP.EXE -i1, -o1, -f156.240, -v75, -s0
start /realtime C:\DSDPlus\DSDPlus.exe --, -fN, -o2, -wsl65.10, -wel504.11, -wcl10.10, -H21

dsdtune.bat
----------------
cd \DSDPlus
start C:\DSDPlus\dsdtune.exe -x-DSDPlus.exe, -fn, -iVC-DSDPlus-Raw-Input_2018-04-23@104732.wav
All 12 of those commas don't belong there. The command line options don't use commas.

I doubt /realtime helps DSD+, especially if it steals cycles from the SDR side (FMP)

Unless your computer is garbage and cannot handle a 2.4 msps stream over USB, you really should be using FMP24 and not FMP.
Yes, if he's got fastlane. If he's running DSD+ 1.101, then FMP it is.

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
FMP24 Question

Thanks for above! Tweaked settings, including Windows SOUND settings. Set RECORDING to CABLE and set PLAYBACK to PC SPEAKERS. Decoded some small amount of crystal clear audio this morning. I have a question on FMP24 per above. I see it is included with FASTLANE however I also stumbled on the following link and did a search on their site:

https://digitalfrequencysearch.com/Search/FMPFrequencyFile.php

I searched for Benzie County in Michigan and came up with a boatload of frequencies in a particular format. Questions:
1) There is only one frequency. Replicate that so there is both a Tx and Rcv or just one is OK?
2) If all of these are in the DSDPlus.frequencies file do they also need to be set-up as CHANNEL in DSD+?
3) Are all of these control channels and if not, how do I know which are control channels?
4) If I do find a Control Channel and an Alternate Control Channel, do I need both input as Channels in DSD+ or will the software and system use the control channel and set-up the alternate on the fly?

slicerwizard

I don't follow. You said you were monitoring one conventional NXDN channel (Benzie Roads). There is nothing to set up - just tune FMP to 156.24 and wait for traffic...

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
Correct, and I did. Question was relative to FMP24 which someone in the thread above mentioned. It sounded like that was maybe a *.exe file so I searched for a download for that and found the website that talked about a FMP24 "file" but not FMP "software". Just wondering if I have the right thing - a file of frequencies and not software. I realize FMP without the 24 is software. Sorry for any confusion.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Decoded some small amount of crystal clear audio this morning. I have a question on FMP24 per above.

I also stumbled on the following link and did a search on their site:

https://digitalfrequencysearch.com/Search/FMPFrequencyFile.php

I searched for Benzie County in Michigan and came up with a boatload of frequencies in a particular format. Questions:
1) There is only one frequency. Replicate that so there is both a Tx and Rcv or just one is OK?
2) If all of these are in the DSDPlus.frequencies file do they also need to be set-up as CHANNEL in DSD+?
3) Are all of these control channels and if not, how do I know which are control channels?
4) If I do find a Control Channel and an Alternate Control Channel, do I need both input as Channels in DSD+ or will the software and system use the control channel and set-up the alternate on the fly?

That site is a very good resource but also a nightmare for people either just beginning or people who do not understand what they are looking at. For people who have been using resources like that for a while, well they know how to read the fine print and understand whats what. Am, Fm, Motrbo, Cap+ Con+ Dmr, P25 Trunked Networked Multi site, etc...

For people beginning, they think because something is listed for their county, that it must work. Totally not the case. That site queries the fcc database for the selected parameters and dumps that info into a nice web page and or fmp/fmp24 file. The info thats listed only means that someone registered with the fcc and applied for a license. Some licenses are new, and the freqs are not in use yet. Some licenses are current and work great. And some can be cancelled and or expired. Some say they are P25 when they are Nxdn. For beginners, its best to stick with whats listed on radio reference database and search around your states forum for, or about a freq / system and its use. Many helpful people out there.

I realize FMP without the 24 is software.

No, There is FMP.Exe and there is also, the newer version, FMP24.Exe. Both executable s run with some other files. I think fmp24 is only available in fastlane which is very much worth it. The people who write DSDPlus, fmp and fmp24 are great people who know their stuff.

jl2s

Frequencies are: 156.24000 and Input = 159.07500

What does Input = 159.07500 mean?

From the link you provided I don't see 159.07500

I get the frequency 156.24000, but I don't see the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.